Can Solo trigger Hero 5 black without gimbal?

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and new with Solo.
Is any one know how to trigger a Hero 5 black without gimbal, directly from Solo?
Try simplify mapping process by using Hero 5 with build in Geotag. I been using time elapse but could be more efficient if I can have Solo mission trigger the camera instead.

Reactions: anthony_sleck
Hi there

I resently mode gimbal with my hero 5.
I didn't have enough time to test any other possibility yet, but so far I know is ;
hero 5 can automatically start recoding video when you press "fly" button. Witch means you can't control when you start recoding and stop recording.. :(
I can also control my gimbal moves and can see a view via iPhone that attached in solo controller..
Sadly solo app can't control anything with this hero5- just provide view and that's all.
View media item 635
Hope somebody figure it out soon;)

Last edited:
Hi there

I didn't have enough time to test any other possibility yet, but so far I know is ;
hero 5 can automatically start recoding video when you press "fly" button. Witch means you can't control when you start recoding and stop recording.. :(
I can also control my gimbal moves and can see a view via iPhone that attached in solo controller..
Sadly solo app can't control anything with this hero5- just provide view and that's all.
View media item 635

hi there
can you show what was the mod you made to the gimbal?
thanks!

Hi there

View media item 635
Hi, I also have a GoPro 5 and would be interested in seeing your mod that you did with the Gimbal to get to fit?
Cheers,
Sam

That doesn't look like a gimbal stabilized shot. It's tipped over. The Solo and it's apps do not support control of the Hero 5. If you've modified something to do so, please do share.

Hi there
I thought nobody interested. ;)
yes, the picture I upload was without weight.
The gimbal was not stabilized until I add one, however, still have balance problem, so plz let me know how can I fix. (see my video - could fix the balance with drop the angle to 90' and switch the angle again).

I do't know, maybe it's not a mod it just cut off some part.
I got my gimbal for free so I could try something crazy and this is how I connect my hero 5.
(Please understand I totally new in this field and you may have better idea then me, so plz share here.)

anyway, heres the pictures that I did-
disassemble the gimbal
cut off top part of case so it can fit hero5
also remove output(input) jack for hero4
add weight.
that's all.

Im uploading a movie clip that result of "add weight" but oh man, its almost 4Gb and takes more then 2hours with my bad internet...

Attachments

• IMG_0774.jpg
    IMG_0774.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0775.jpg
    IMG_0775.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0776.jpg
    IMG_0776.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Reactions: AOtarolaR
Hi there
I thought nobody interested. ;)
yes, the picture I upload was without weight.
The gimbal was not stabilized until I add one, however, still have balance problem, so plz let me know how can I fix. (see my video - could fix the balance with drop the angle to 90' and switch the angle again).

I do't know, maybe it's not a mod it just cut off some part.
I got my gimbal for free so I could try something crazy and this is how I connect my hero 5.
(Please understand I totally new in this field and you may have better idea then me, so plz share here.)

anyway, heres the pictures that I did-
disassemble the gimbal
cut off top part of case so it can fit hero5
also remove output(input) jack for hero4
add weight.
that's all.

Im uploading a movie clip that result of "add weight" but oh man, its almost 4Gb and takes more then 2hours with my bad internet...
Thanks for this. It's a bit drastic for me though. For balancing, you an always try a good industrial double sided tape so you can place/reposition the weights in the locations where they balance the Gimbal. You can do trial/error by using regular tape first until you find the sweet spots.

Guys!! Check this out..
Somebody already solved my other question already!! Foldable solo!!!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Ok movie clip for gimbal mod with add weight
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Enjoy

Looks great. I like the fact that you can control the Gimbal. I assume that you don't have any control of the camera settings through the app?

Thanks for sharing your mod and experience.

Umm, not great? The gimbal is tilting side to side throughout the flight. Totally unusable. Are you able to control the camera? I'm guessing not and you just start recording before the flight?

Nice seeing folks getting the 5 to work!
I don't wanna destroy any of my Solos or gimbals yet though so I even pickedup an extra Hero 4 Black refurbished recently just because they aren't making them anymore. Getting things balanced was what held up the gimbal originally, so by doing this you are really back to square one as far as figuring out where the weights need to go

Nice vid though!

Last edited:
Looks great. I like the fact that you can control the Gimbal. I assume that you don't have any control of the camera settings through the app?

Yeah not yet all
no control for app.
We need app programmer who can mod app too!!
Good thing is there's lots of problems but we all know there's possibilities now right??
Ok I think my part is done.
I would like to pass this to others for figures out.
Happy fly!!

Last edited:

Yes we need programmers to solve this .. I think we can not control hero5 without app hack:( thanks for watching!!

Umm, not great? The gimbal is tilting side to side throughout the flight. Totally unusable. Are you able to control the camera? I'm guessing not and you just start recording before the flight?
Plz read #2 carefully thx

Nice seeing folks getting the 5 to work!
I don't wanna destroy any of my Solos or gimbals yet though so I even pickedup an extra Hero 4 Black refurbished recently just because they aren't making them anymore. Getting things balanced was what held up the gimbal originally, so by doing this you are really back to square one as far as figuring out where the weights need to go

Nice vid though!
Thank you for the advice!!

Plz read #2 carefully thx
I've read it. And it says you haven't gotten it to work properly. And the video shows this. I'm not trying to be a jerk here. But this is really silly. All you've done is hack up a gimbal, rubber band an incompatible camera to what's left of it, and fly it around totally unstabilized and crooked. Nothing has been accomplished here. The gimbal is not working properly with the GP5 attached to it. The video is completely unusable. An you can't control it.

And oddly, people are praising this "accomplishment".

I pretty certain that I seen the Gimbal moving up and down towards the end of the video or was it a trick?

Yes, the tilt worked. But the gimbal was not stabilizing and was tipping over from side to side.

Do you think that this is a balance issue that could be fixed with proper balancing weights?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc