Can anyone test HDMI out from controller with latest 2.4.1-6 please

SPP

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

Before the update, I can output HDMI from controller. That was like 3 firmware ago.
Now all I got is eiher 3DR Logo and wait : booting.......... and no video feed can go to the TV/Display from booting..... I waited up to 10+ minutes. Last I tested OK, 3 minutes was the waiting time of the booting...
I tried the HDMI both with controlller already ON and connected to Solo and before its even powered up.
No video feed. Usually if controller is already ON, the wait for booting.... is the most common one.
This is not HDMI cable issue, it works on my GoPro.

I just want to make sure if this is FW thingy of controller or my controller is defective at its HDMI out.

Thanks in advance:D

Turn your monitor on first then the controller. It will sense the plugged in output and use it

If you see the "booting " message, just power-cycle the GoPro.
Please let me know if this fixed the problem.

This is the same result I got all weekend. I tried a few times. But it never really worked consistently and properly in FW 2.3 either. It's always been hit or miss. And all weekend (consequently after 2.4.1-6), it was all miss.

Wow Steve, ur method worked !!!
Many thanks
But I can not unplug HDMI and re-connect, 3DR Logo will appear.
I MUST power cycle camera if ever HDMI connection is broken.

Pyrate, that test you asked me to do result in only 3DR logo.

Thanks both for quick response.:)

Hi all - I never had issues with the HDMI out from controller to screen. Recently upgraded my GoPro to Firmware version 5 and my Solo to the latest 2.4. I first start the screen, then controller, then drone. Now I only get a "please wait booting..." on a black screen. The Solo sometimes makes a sound when I plug the cable into the controller. But no luck with seeing any video stream on a connected screen. Can anyone help solving this please?

All I see is in the HDMI stremis the 3DR logo.

Controller 2.4.2
Controller firmware 1.2.11

which version work for you - I'd like to replace some files from an older version, as I hear it worked fine before (?)

In my experience, the HDMI output is buggy. Pull the battery from the controller and put it back. Try again.

the trick is you have to connect and power on the monitor or googles before you power on the controller
it goes though some sort of start up, and when no device is attached at boot leaves the feed off

Does the HDMI port work or not??!!:mad:

I decided to get a battery powered monitor with a bigger screen than my iPad mini or Nexus 7.

Connected Solo #1 controller HDMI port to monitor. Turned monitor on, then controller. Saw 3DR logo on monitor with a progress bar then BAM- video from GoPro! Cool!

Shut every thing down, went outside to go fly. Reconnected everything the same way and only got the 3DR logo- no video feed. Wiggled the HDMI cable at the controller connection and the image blinked on & off as if there were a loose connection.

Then it went blank, never to be seen again. Have tried several known good cables, so I know that's not the problem. Opened the controller and looked at the HDMI connector but saw nothing wrong. Disconnected and reconnected controller battery but no help.

Now, it appears the HDMI port is totally dead. The HDMI port for Solo #2 never worked.

Any ideas? Some people say the HDMI port is solid and always works- others say it is flakey and works sporadically.

If it is not reliable, how can I get a video image to my new monitor from my iPad mini or Nexus 7?

Does the HDMI port work or not??!!:mad:

I decided to get a battery powered monitor with a bigger screen than my iPad mini or Nexus 7.

Connected Solo #1 controller HDMI port to monitor. Turned monitor on, then controller. Saw 3DR logo on monitor with a progress bar then BAM- video from GoPro! Cool!

Shut every thing down, went outside to go fly. Reconnected everything the same way and only got the 3DR logo- no video feed. Wiggled the HDMI cable at the controller connection and the image blinked on & off as if there were a loose connection.

Then it went blank, never to be seen again. Have tried several known good cables, so I know that's not the problem. Opened the controller and looked at the HDMI connector but saw nothing wrong. Disconnected and reconnected controller battery but no help.

Now, it appears the HDMI port is totally dead. The HDMI port for Solo #2 never worked.

Any ideas? Some people say the HDMI port is solid and always works- others say it is flakey and works sporadically.

If it is not reliable, how can I get a video image to my new monitor from my iPad mini or Nexus 7?

How about this to the Nexus 7..

Connecting your Nexus 7 to a HDMI Screen or projector couldn’t be simpler. With a SlimPort adapter that plugs into the socket at the bottom of your tablet you can share content from your device with others. When connected up it looks like this:

1408297894_thumb.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Maddog
I read recently that the hdmi port off the controller is too recessed, not allowing the cable to fully seat. I believe the solution was to open up the surrounding material around the hdmi port. Then they made a cable retainer to hold tight to the controller.

I can't recall where I read this, but it makes sense based on this thread and others from the past for same type issues. Not all hdmi cables are created equal... Check to see if your cable plug is preventing full insertion, could just be cable plug's jacketing needs trimming

Reactions: Maddog
I read recently that the hdmi port off the controller is too recessed, not allowing the cable to fully seat. I believe the solution was to open up the surrounding material around the hdmi port. Then they made a cable retainer to hold tight to the controller.

I can't recall where I read this, but it makes sense based on this thread and others from the past for same type issues. Not all hdmi cables are created equal... Check to see if your cable plug is preventing full insertion, could just be cable plug's jacketing needs trimming
It was in the Solo Mod Club facebook group I think. But shortly after doing that, he found the intermittent nature of it working properly persisted. It was a much more secure and snug fit. But it still only worked properly sometimes. I was about ready to start chopping away until reported back a little while later that didn't fix the underlying problem.

Reactions: RichWest and Maddog
How about this to the Nexus 7..

Connecting your Nexus 7 to a HDMI Screen or projector couldn’t be simpler. With a SlimPort adapter that plugs into the socket at the bottom of your tablet you can share content from your device with others. When connected up it looks like this:

1408297894_thumb.jpeg
Thanks Jubair. In searching for "slim port" there are several brands. Which do you have/ recommend? Prices and compatibility are all over the board. (Link doesn't work)

Thanks Jubair. In searching for "slim port" there are several brands. Which do you have/ recommend? Prices and compatibility are all over the board. (Link doesn't work)
Fixed the link.. Try Again..

Well, you're right. I cut some of the plastic away from the connecter on the HDMI cable and it fit in deeper than before, but it made for a loose connection.

I hooked up Solo #1 and got a video feed to my desktop monitor right away. If I wiggled the cable at the back of the controller, I would lose the feed. By wiggling some more, I could get the feed back but the connection definitely was not reliable.

Solo #2 and controller #2 were a different story. Initially I got the 3DR logo followed by the live feed, like Solo #1. Wiggling the cable caused a loss of feed like #1. No amount of wiggling would bring the video feed back, just the 3DR logo.

So I guess the HDMI connector inside the controller is crap. Haven't looked at it closely enough to see if it could be fixed but I'm going with jubair's solution instead.

Just got the Slimport that @Jubalr mentioned and connected my Nexus to my PC monitor- sweet! It actually works- just waiting for my FPV monitor to be delivered.

(I get the feeling everybody on the forum knew how to connect their mobile device to a monitor except me..:oops:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela