Can’t Connect to Vehicle

Reaction score
I updated both the controller and vehicle to OpenSolo 3.0...now I can’t connect to the vehicle with the controller, the Solo app, SidePilot says ssh manager was unable to connect to Solo...Mission Planner on PC won’t connect. I tried connecting with Putty...I could connect to controller but not vehicle...tried factory resetting and reinstalling OpenSolo with SidePilot...the controller updated fine but when I try to update vehicle it says ssh manager could not connect to Solo. It all worked the very first time I upgraded to OpenSolo but then nothing. Any help would be deeply appreciated as I am in Canada and getting service for anything 3DR is next to impossible.

What is the LED status of both the Solo and the controller? (Hint peer beneath the controller into the vents to see the LED'S) Did you try to pair the solo and controller using the pair button? Also Make sure when connecting to the Wifi you rediscover the SSID's on your device and use the correct password maybe try "sololink"..

The Solo lights are double red and double blue. Inside the controller all I see is solid red...nothing else. The problem with the controller lights is one is orange so as much as I don't think I see any orange light after staring at it for awhile you start questioning yourself. Pressing the Pair button does nothing...the controller always says 'searching for solo' Ive tried restarting in every different combination I could think of...hard resets of both units etc. Ive tried the 3DR app, Sidepilot, Mission Planner. The only thing I haven't tried is checking to see if the SD card is seated properly. Im trying to avoid that if at all possible. It worked once after I updated to Open Solo but I didn't even move the unit...next day I got nothing. One other thing...the controller now shuts off automatically if it sits for about 5 minutes...even with wall power hooked up. Ive also looked all over Canada trying to find a service centre with zero luck.

...oh, one more thing, I read that only a solid red light and no other means the controller isn't getting power...I don't understand what that means. The unit does seem to power up fine. If this is, indeed the problem what is the solution?

...oh, one more thing, I read that only a solid red light and no other means the controller isn't getting power...I don't understand what that means. The unit does seem to power up fine. If this is, indeed the problem what is the solution?
Pull the controller battery let sit for 10 minutes and reinstall, you should see a Red and Green solid LED and an Orange flashing LED when the controller boots..

Ok...had the battery out for about 30 minutes. Now inside the controller I have all three lights...the orange one is flashing twice per second but I can't do anything with the controller. It went into updating mode when I turned it on then said controller updated hit the A button but when I do that the unit vibrates once and nothing...the readout still just says controller updated. Funny thing is I can't even shut it off...Ive tried the two button reset, everything and nothing changes. I will say at least it's a different issue then I have been having so I thank you for that at the least. I can connect to the controller's wifi no problem but when I try to anything in any app it will not connect to the Solo. Im really hoping with the new light combination in the controller that we are on to something.

I think you need to give it more time and let it restart as needed you are rushing the controllers open solo install as it restarts a few times and takes a bit, also when pairing with the solo you need to hold the A and B button down until it vibrates twice

From Matt's instructions

• You will likely see the controller reboot and say update success twice. This is also normal.
    • It is difficult to know exactly what stage it is at since it can't speak and isn't telepathic. The process takes about 6 minutes on both the solo and the controller. So just wait about 6 minutes.
  1. Pair: Hit the pair button under the Solo with a small pointy poking apparatus like a paper clip for 2 seconds to get the controller and solo re-paired. When the controller tells you it has detected the solo, hold the A and B button for 3 seconds... which is the second set of vibrations... until the the screen says pairing in progress. If the copter and controller are not pairing, reboot both. They may have timed out.

Last edited:
How depressing...I thought when I got the different light combination inside the controller we were on to something good. I have done factory resets on both the controller and the Solo...I left them both to reset for at least 30 minutes but alas I have the same problem...Nothing happens when I hold the pair button down on the Solo...the controller always just says waiting for Solo...if I move the camera controls on the back of the controller it says gimbal can't be found. Inside the controller I still have a solid red, flashing twice per second orange and solid green. Very frustrated.

I am out of ideas...I re-seated the SD card in the Solo...I have factory reset both the Solo and controller numerous times leaving them for 30 minutes at a time...Ive tried everything Ive read and people have suggested...can anyone suggest a service centre in the US I can get in touch with?

What exactly is the issue what does the controller not do? Do you see "OpenSolo 3.0" when the controller is booting? Reboot both the solo and controller when they are both booted just push a paper clip into the solo pair hole and quickly pull it out don't hold it there just push until you feel a click and pull it out repeat this after 30 seconds if the controller does not see the Solo, if it state's it see's a new Solo press the A&B button simultaneously and wait for 2 vibrations to pair?

Last edited:
I did exactly what you said and still nothing. The controller always says looking for Solo...inside led's are solid red flashing orange and solid green. I have reset both units and waited as long as 30 minutes for resets to complete and still nothing...If I push the A and B on the controller it buzzes twice but the screen stays locked on looking for Solo. This time around I did as you said and removed the paper clip as soon as it clicked the internal button...the screen on the controller doesn't change. When it boots it says Open Solo 3.0...I can login to it's wifi no problem but the app says it can't connect...it shows software versions only for the app and the controller...nothing for the Solo or gimbal...that goes for SidePilot, 3dr Solo app, Mission Planner and even an old copy of Mavlink. I am located in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada...there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get service here. Im hoping to not have to send it out but I will pay whatever I have to. This thing has to work. Its got very few flight hours on it...maybe 1.5hr. Again I really do thank you for your help so far...it's greatly appreciated.

You need to open the solo and connect to the Pixhawk via USB then install the Master version of Arducopter right from Mission Planner reboot and connect via USB and reinstall the Open Solo firmware on the Solo, you have a botched install or a bad WIFI/IMX board on the solo....Or just pull out the SD card on the IMX6 and flash the image for OPenSolo 3.0 to it and reinstall..If there are no hardware issues it should work....

How to from Matt >> OpenSolo/documentation

And Image here >>> https://github.com/OpenSolo/documen...3.0.0/Open.Solo.3.0.0.COPTER.SD.Card.Image.7z

Last edited:
Just to confirm before I take apart the Solo again...you can connect to the Pixhawk via usb? Ive never looked looked for a connector before and can't seem to find any videos or tutorials...if you know of one pass it along.

Just to confirm before I take apart the Solo again...you can connect to the Pixhawk via usb? Ive never looked looked for a connector before and can't seem to find any videos or tutorials...if you know of one pass it along.
Yes you have to remove the HDMI cable and you will see the USB port on the Pixhawk, But you can also try to flash the firmware directly to the SD card on the IMX6
solo-rover-1.jpg
Believe me I know I've built a Frankin Solo and a rover from the Solo mainboards

Last edited:
Not to out myself as a complete simpleton but how would I go about flashing the firmware on the SD card? Id be willing to pay you for your time if you can walk me through this. Im good if I can see something done but I really don't want to screw up my already screwed up Solo. What I don't get is everything updated to OpenSolo fine...I connected with SidePilot and it connected to the Solo right away...I thought, great, tomorrow I can fly the thing...next day without even moving anything I come up against this problem.

Not to out myself as a complete simpleton but how would I go about flashing the firmware on the SD card? Id be willing to pay you for your time if you can walk me through this. Im good if I can see something done but I really don't want to screw up my already screwed up Solo. What I don't get is everything updated to OpenSolo fine...I connected with SidePilot and it connected to the Solo right away...I thought, great, tomorrow I can fly the thing...next day without even moving anything I come up against this problem.
No need to pay me I'm here for help, along with all the other forum members...Check this link OpenSolo/documentation

Here is the SD card Image for the Solo https://github.com/OpenSolo/documen...3.0.0/Open.Solo.3.0.0.COPTER.SD.Card.Image.7z

Got everything safely apart only to realize I don't have a sd card reader. I will run into town and pick one up...I'll post a little later today with more of what comes about.

Reactions: XevetS

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc