Busted!

Reaction score
Was at my homeowner association's community field flying one of my solos. It's a fairly large field with woods and open grass stretches. I was standing next to the street focusing on my Solo in the air when I hear a voice from behind me saying, "you wouldn't believe, but someone complained about you spying on them." I turned around and it was a deputy sheriff in his unmarked patrol car. I sort of chuckled and asked if it was one of my neighbors. "An anonymous citizen," he replied. I talked to him for a few minutes while I continued to fly. I told him I flew in the community field just so I wasn't over my neighbors' houses. He agreed, but said some people believe they have a right to control the airspace above their yards. He was totally cool about it. I think the only reason he even talked to me about it was so that if anyone called in again he could reply that he "addressed" the issue. Kind of reinforces the notion that there are a lot of people out there who just can't stand the idea of anyone flying drones, and it highlights that the police are becoming more savvy about people flying UAVs.

The anonymous complainant would have called the authorities even if you were flying a cheap toy drone without a camera. These are the folks who are causing all kinds of excessive regulation and banning drones in all kinds of nonsense places.

They really raise my blood pressure...cameras are everywhere...just don't put them in the air...good gosh! At least the responding officer was cool.

Reactions: gnomad
If they could only see how useless spying is with a stock GoPro lens they wouldn't be complaining. People probably assume you can see through walls and read license plates at 1000' where in reality all you see are people dots even at 150'.

If they could only see how useless spying is with a stock GoPro lens they wouldn't be complaining. People probably assume you can see through walls and read license plates at 1000' where in reality all you see are people dots even at 150'.

Agree. And you can't please everyone. When I have flown around my house, in the vicinity of neighbor houses, I've had neighbors ask if I would share the video, especially at notable times such as right after snowstorms.

I was invited to give a presentation at a library in NJ. I did a quick PowerPoint and then we all walked to the nearby athletic field for a flying demo. The Mayor attended and asked questions about requirements for the town to incorporate UAS in crime fighting and fire/rescue. At home I approached the local PD and exposed them to exactly what my bird is and is not capable of. They were both impressed and supportive. I have my Remote Pilot mainly to provide me with credentials which has been very helpful. Finally I have (with permission of the organizers) covered a few local events along with simply taking some shots and video of our small town and posting them on the community FB pages. This has been highy appreciated with hundreds of Likes especially by the many folks that have grown up here and moved away. The few times I have been approached by a disgruntled bystander I invite them to watch my FPV and even let them take the sticks. I assure them I fly under a strict set of FAA regs and very mindful of people's privacy. Knock on wood, with about 50 hours on my two Solos I have yet to have been in a compromising situation.

Last edited:
I was invited to give a presentation at a library in NJ. I did a quick PowerPoint and then we all walked to the nearby athletic field for a flying demo. The Mayor attended and asked questions about requirements for the town to incorporate UAS in crime fighting and fire/rescue. At home I approached the local PD and exposed them to exactly what my bird is and is not capable of. They were both impressed and supportive. I have my Remote Pilot mainly to provide me with credentials which has been very helpful. Finally I have (with permission of the organizers) covered a few local events along with simply taking some shots and video of our small town and posting them on the community FB pages. This has been highy appreciated with hundreds of Likes especially by the many folks that have grown up here and moved away. The few times I have been approached by a disgruntled bystander I invite them to watch my FPV and even let them take the sticks. I assure them I fly under a strict set of FAA regs and very mindful of people's privacy. Knock on wood, with about 50 hours on my two Solos I have yet to have been in a compromising situation.

I agree with your very thoughtful approach...it helps enforce a positive opinion of our hobby...or for some their career. But there are some that will not be satisfied as long as UASs are operating.

I realize there are "loose" cannons on both sides of the argument. In the end I hope "cooler" heads prevail. For me it's all about the beauty and perspective of the videos and pics that are produced using drones...that's it.

Reactions: gnomad

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986