Bouncing Solo

Reaction score
Early this morning 7am took my solo for a quick flight to a local school’s track and field. It’s a very big unobstructed area behind the school. I normally fly further up north where there is nothing or nobody around only problem up there I kept loosing the connection with the controller.
Today, since there were a couple of joggers about a quarter mile away from where I was I wanted to try some low level flying maneuvers on manual fly. Set it to low speed. I did all the preflight checks-calibration, level etc. I took it up approx 15’ then it took off like a rocket going forward maintain the 15’ even though I had only used the throttle to gently lift off. Luckily I got it to come back to me, and attempted to land it by reducing the throttle, the solo was bounching up and down on the grass! When I got it low enough I used a+b Pause, the motors did not stop and it kept bouncing. Finally throttle down all the way turned the engines off. Luckily no damage, and no flip. Any ideas what caused this? Is the Solo incapable of flying at lower levels in open spaces? A friend got a P3 he flies his indoors in his driveway no problems. Am beginning to have my doubts about the solo.

Early this morning 7am took my solo for a quick flight to a local school’s track and field. It’s a very big unobstructed area behind the school. I normally fly further up north where there is nothing or nobody around only problem up there I kept loosing the connection with the controller.
Today, since there were a couple of joggers about a quarter mile away from where I was I wanted to try some low level flying maneuvers on manual fly. Set it to low speed. I did all the preflight checks-calibration, level etc. I took it up approx 15’ then it took off like a rocket going forward maintain the 15’ even though I had only used the throttle to gently lift off. Luckily I got it to come back to me, and attempted to land it by reducing the throttle, the solo was bounching up and down on the grass! When I got it low enough I used a+b Pause, the motors did not stop and it kept bouncing. Finally throttle down all the way turned the engines off. Luckily no damage, and no flip. Any ideas what caused this? Is the Solo incapable of flying at lower levels in open spaces? A friend got a P3 he flies his indoors in his driveway no problems. Am beginning to have my doubts about the solo.
Did you start off in manual mode? I am wondering if you are in manual mode do the speed settings even apply.
When I calibrate level, I literally use a level across the top of the prop shafts to make sure it is perfectly level. I put business cards uner the legs to put the bubble in the middle.
You might run through the cals again.

Did you start off in manual mode? I am wondering if you are in manual mode do the speed settings even apply.
When I calibrate level, I literally use a level across the top of the prop shafts to make sure it is perfectly level. I put business cards uner the legs to put the bubble in the middle.
You might run through the cals again.
Yes I did take off in manual mode. Like your idea about the business cards though. Calibration went fine the first time got the ok to fly on the app. Got 11 satellites if that matters too. Still trying to understand why it shot off like it did.

I also have had similar issues at low altitude and this has been post update, there's definitley some things they need to work out near the ground. Once I get it up in the air everything's perfect and always has been but every issue I've had has been at or below 10 to 15 feet which is not the greatest place to try to make a save. I'm hoping the sensors 3dr has been using will soon be sold, I'd think this would make these issues disappear and give us a lot more options and would negate the only advantage for me at least that p3 has over solo right now.

I also have had similar issues at low altitude and this has been post update, there's definitley some things they need to work out near the ground. Once I get it up in the air everything's perfect and always has been but every issue I've had has been at or below 10 to 15 feet which is not the greatest place to try to make a save. I'm hoping the sensors 3dr has been using will soon be sold, I'd think this would make these issues disappear and give us a lot more options and would negate the only advantage for me at least that p3 has over solo right now.
Thank you I totally agree with you. They way they marketed the solo it should be ready to fly right out of the box, which reading other posts on this forum is not the case. As for paying for a sensor “IF” it comes out, am not going to. My solo is still under the 30 day period. I have some considering to do.

Similar story. It would be worth looking at the log files before flying again. They would shed light on what the pixhawk controller was thinking.

Thank you I totally agree with you. They way they marketed the solo it should be ready to fly right out of the box, which reading other posts on this forum is not the case. As for paying for a sensor “IF” it comes out, am not going to. My solo is still under the 30 day period. I have some considering to do.
Yea I too wouldn't pay for the sensors just to fix these issues but since I planned on them anyway if they come out they would likely fix these issues if updates don't. Really if you buy the gimbal everybody will be in their return window for a while so I'm not worried about my 30 days. I emailed 3dr and they told me that even buying gimbal seperatley at best buy my money back period would extend to thirty days after purchase of gimbal, I made sure before canceling my pre order that included it and saved their reply as well.

Good luck to you and all the owners here I hope we all are problem free here before long but at least if we're not we have options with money back and flyaway/crash warranty so I'd bet they do any and everything in their power to fix these things quickly. 3dr have a lot invested in this being a success so I'm going to ride it out with em unless my issues just get out of hand. For the most part I've had a good experience but I'm glad this wasn't my first quad or I have no doubt I wouldn't still be flying my first solo, having some experience and being very cautious is the only reason mine still hasn't had a real crash thankfully.

In fly manual mode it uses the altimeter to keep altitude. I believe the altimeter is simply a barametric pressure sensor which means if you fly low the pressure created by the prop down wash hitting the ground could be causing the altimeter to get false readings, which would cause the bouncing. The logs should show this.

You should try a different manual mode. One that requires you to control altitude, and does not rely on the altimeter...of course this is more dangerous close to the ground.

In fly manual mode it uses the altimeter to keep altitude. I believe the altimeter is simply a barametric pressure sensor which means if you fly low the pressure created by the prop down wash hitting the ground could be causing the altimeter to get false readings, which would cause the bouncing. The logs should show this.

You should try a different manual mode. One that requires you to control altitude, and does not rely on the altimeter...of course this is more dangerous close to the ground.
In my case at least flying in manual works perfect and that's what I do all the time now, my issues were all in fly mode with gps on, I can't say if others are the same but this does seem to be a fix for me that works. If they fix it that would be nice since that's how it's supposed to be but I'm not too worried about it for now long as manual works fine. Once I'm up 20 feet even I'm fine with gps fly if I want or if I use smart shots but I won't be using it below that for now.

Hi,
Just let you guys know that I am having the same issue. Yesterday, I went out to fly mine including the 3DR app version 1.05 and the same thing happened. I lost connection at least 5 times during the flight and right after the connection got re-established SOLO was flying back like the HOME button was pressed. Also, for test purposes, I tried in a clear and security area without people around or any aerial traffic to fly at 410 ft (for test purposes), and every single time that I flew above 400 ft (maximum reached 417ft) I lost the signal every single time that I was testing. I did happen also even when I was flying below of 400ft. Just let you guys know that the SOLO that I have now I just got yesterday morning directly from 3DR and they told me that they will ship me one all ready tested from factory before I get the new one to make sure everything is working with accuracy.

The original post tells about flying in fly manual mode....that is not the same as flying in normal gps mode as you describe....so your issue is not the same

Reactions: Droned
Hi,
Just let you guys know that I am having the same issue. Yesterday, I went out to fly mine including the 3DR app version 1.05 and the same thing happened. I lost connection at least 5 times during the flight and right after the connection got re-established SOLO was flying back like the HOME button was pressed. Also, for test purposes, I tried in a clear and security area without people around or any aerial traffic to fly at 410 ft (for test purposes), and every single time that I flew above 400 ft (maximum reached 417ft) I lost the signal every single time that I was testing. I did happen also even when I was flying below of 400ft. Just let you guys know that the SOLO that I have now I just got yesterday morning directly from 3DR and they told me that they will ship me one all ready tested from factory before I get the new one to make sure everything is working with accuracy.
Sounds like you are still hitting the fence. Logs would show for sure though.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Yup....what is your altitude limit set to?..
.it will automatically return to home if it hits the limit. Which is the same thing it does if it loses signal.

It was setup as "No Limits" when I was testing at the security place but now I set back to 395 ft to make sure I am flying under the limit allowed for security purposes; however, the issue still occurs even setup below (395ft) of the limit allowed.

It was setup as "No Limits" when I was testing at the security place but now I set back to 395 ft to make sure I am flying under the limit allowed for security purposes; however, the issue still occurs even setup below (395ft) of the limit allowed.
Check Parameters in the Tower app to be sure there is no fence enabled.

I
Check Parameters in the Tower app to be sure there is no fence enabled.
Interesting. Let me check it and I will let you guys know.
Thanks a lot for the information.
I really appreciate you guys help.

Thanks all for your input. I will try another manual mode but am still paranoid that it will take off normally then quickly go 0 to 30 forward like it did today. Am calling 3dr tomorrow and want to hear from them what the cause is. No fun owning something that doesn't live up to the hype and make you worry about taking solo over 20 feet.

I'm trying to learn how to use Mission Planner to read logs. What information in the logs would show this altimeter fluctuation? What data would show a malfunction?
Reading the data files seems very daunting to me.

Am off tomorrow, plan to call 3DR no matter how long the wait. Hopefully they’ll be able to explain why it took off like a bullet in turtle mode, and did the bouncing, if anyone is interested will post what they say. I really do like the Solo, but I don’t want to wait months for promises of updates, or pay for add ons for things the Solo should be capable of doing now. No doubt you are all aware that many more newer quads are expected to come out later this year, and early next year that will be surpassing the Solo.

I'm trying to learn how to use Mission Planner to read logs. What information in the logs would show this altimeter fluctuation? What data would show a malfunction?
Reading the data files seems very daunting to me.

If the altitude was reading steady at a few feet in the logs, but the thing was actually bouncing up and down, that would be a clue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150