boat mode

Reaction score
Hi, It looks like boat mode is a no go. I talked with 3DR and they said they have no plans. I know there is a way to launch SOLO from a boat by disarming preflight checks in the tower app. Can anyone help with instructions.

Boat mode was part of EKF2 in the failed 2.3 roll out
That was rolled back and no plans to bring boat mode from 3dr

BUT
there is a ongoing effort to get solo rebased to master arducopter
if and when that happens, not only boat mode but throw mode will be feasibly possible with solo
Make sure you are supporting ardupilot if this is something you want to see.

I dont really know a safe way to do boat mode today

Thanks, i know there is a way to go into the parameters settings in tower and change the preflight settings to get it to fly. I just need the instructions

By no means do not disable the prearm checks.
Result will be an IMU error down the way.

If you want boat mode, either install the 2.4 beta 1 firmware from the 3DR Git or wait forever for a rebase to master.

The first option is good, I flew a lot on this version and it works fine as long as you recalibrate sensors before first flight.

I don't see any progress on the rebase to master at this point I am afraid.

Recently, several people have posted video, etc. they took after taking off from a boat. Wonder how they're doing it?

Recently, several people have posted video, etc. they took after taking off from a boat. Wonder how they're doing it?
This guy attached a separate external power supply to Solo. Then he armed Solo at land until he got the ready for takeoff. Then he took Solo with him on the boat. For takeoff he turned on the Solo battery and disconnected the external power supply and then pulled off.

Reactions: Maddog
ive launched from larger boats ( 40ft +) and all solo says to me differently is it needs to be level to fly which i can cancel by pressing "A" solo then arms and takes off as normal , to retrieve i have a friend catch it and do the A+B+Pause shutdown .. never had a drama doing it so far

The A+B+pause is a good tip when you land. I have landed in hand and do the throttle down stick, but that takes about 3 seconds to power off. The problem i run into is when i put solo on the deck and turn it on, there is a very brief period that the controller says (searching for GPS) before that screen disappears. You can only press that A button when that screen is on or you miss the opportunity. The good news is that the pixhawk green cube that is now out comes with boat mode apparently so ill be testing that out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo