Boat mode?

Reaction score
Is it not a good idea to get an aerial shot from a boat right now I am needing to get an Aerial shot of the boat overall but i am not sure if boat mode will this easier

It is a new mode that will be out who knows when but you don't even need it it seems like. If you fly manual and land manual the return home will not matter I believe. I could be wrong but it will be amazing when it comes

You only need boat mode to take off from a boat, even in manual mode.

If you will take off from land or a fixed dock, you don't need boat mode.

Is it not a good idea to get an aerial shot from a boat right now I am needing to get an Aerial shot of the boat overall but i am not sure if boat mode will this easier
I talked with #DR yesterday and they have no immediate plans to do boat made. I know there is a way to launch from a boat by disabling the preflight checks in tower app. Does anyone have the instructions?

Just take off in manual no matter what app you use.

Don't forget that RTH features won't work properly and will even be dangerous (for Solo that is).

That will not work due to the rocking boat. SOLO has a compass and gyro that won't allow it to take off in manual mode
I don't think I was clear - by manual I mean flying without any assists.

If you arm solo on shore. Then install usb power stick remove battery solo will stay armed. Then install battery and you can take off from boat. Two options for usb power from solo
1 install short micro USB cable directly to pixhawk 2 on main board.
2 accessories port has usb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm...I need to find out more about that USB power stick trick. It may come in handy!

Simply taking off in manual only solves one of numerous issues with taking off from a moving vehicle. And 3DR will not be making any changes to overcome them.

Power up calibrations are the issue you cannot do anything to bypass. That must presently be done on solid ground. Boat mode will use a set of previously saved calibration values, but that does not exist in our Solo firmware. It is still in beta on Arducopter.

Pre-arm checks give the motion alert. You can bypass that by disabling the prearm checks, but that isn't wise.

Return to me is required for failsafe actions. That is currently broken on the Solo android app. 3DR is aware, but who knows if they plan to fix it. My guess is not anytime soon.

I try to launch SOLO from the boat many miles from shore. You can not do this in manual mode due to the rearm checks. I need to bypass this. once i get solo in the air, i can go back to GPS mode and fly normal. Just asking if anyone knows how to do this in the tower app.

I try to launch SOLO from the boat many miles from shore. You can not do this in manual mode due to the rearm checks. I need to bypass this. once i get solo in the air, i can go back to GPS mode and fly normal. Just asking if anyone knows how to do this in the tower app.
No. You cannot do that. There is no such thing as bypassing the gyro and accelerometer calibrations that take place on power-up. That is not the same thing as pre-arm checks, which you can bypass (and is a very bad idea).

No. You cannot do that. There is no such thing as bypassing the gyro and accelerometer calibrations that take place on power-up. That is not the same thing as pre-arm checks, which you can bypass (and is a very bad idea).
there is a guy that posted a video on vemeo that demonstrated a rocking boat. He said he bypassed the prearm checks in tower and it flys fine. He does not give the instructions on how he did it.

there is a guy that posted a video on vemeo that demonstrated a rocking boat. He said he bypassed the prearm checks in tower and it flys fine. He does not give the instructions on how he did it.

Ok. Do what you want. When it flops over into the water, don't say we didn't warn you.

If you arm solo on shore. Then install usb power stick remove battery solo will stay armed. Then install battery and you can take off from boat. Two options for usb power from solo
1 install short micro USB cable directly to pixhawk 2 on main board.
2 accessories port has usb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
13895099_827017600767450_8503673498778931502_n.jpg

This Pict is on FB Group.

Questions:
If solo is powered via USB stick directly to the pixhawk 2 to maintain armed status;
will powering up via the onboard "solo batt" double the voltage to the ph2 and damage it?
(for a short time wouldn't there be 2 power sources till takeoff)

Also what would be the part # to the short cable inside the solo?

Last edited:
I did do a test and armed on shore, and left Solo lit and relocated in boat out to fly. Worked well even with movement it took off. Batt depleted a little while riding out to location.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc