Battery question...

J R

Reaction score
I charged my 3 batteries yesterday in hopes that I could do some more testing this AM. The wind picked up and I may not be able to fly over the next 3-5 days. On my Phantom, I always try to leave the batteries at about 40-50% if I won't be flying. Is it the same with the Solo batteries? Is there any way to discharge them without flying the bird? Looking for advice.

Jerry

a few days won't make much of a difference, I wouldn't worry about it.

I have been meaning to post this question for months. I have about 50 LiPo batteries stored in the fridge. They power lots of different devices. All the chargers I use have a storage program for non use.

When I received my Solo batteries out of the box all have a a 50% charge. So does anyone know of a discharge/charge method for storing Solo batteries for many months with a goal of 50% charge?

Thanks Rich. D you run your batteries down to a certain percentage when you wont be flying for a while?

Jerry

Only if I think it will be a number of weeks or a month or more before I won't fly.

VA,

So you keep them in the fridge? I've done that with the lithium batteries for my security stuff. I never thought about doing that with the Lipo's. What made you decide to do that?

Jerry

VA,

So you keep them in the fridge? I've done that with the lithium batteries for my security stuff. I never thought about doing that with the Lipo's. What made you decide to do that?

Jerry

You can slow the decomposition down to a crawl so the internal resistance doesn't build. Keeps the batteries useful much longer. Applies to all batteries but especially LiPos. Doing it long before the advent of LiPos.

VA,

So your opinion is to run them down to say 50-60% and put them in the fridge? I'm just a pilot starved to learn from those that know better than I do.

Jerry

50% seems to be the aim point if you are not going to be flying for a few weeks. Especially if your ambient room temp is around 80F. My work area is around 80F eight months a year so I refrigerate as much as I can.

VA,

Isn't there a concern for condensation? I really like the idea of stuffing all my Lipo's in the fridge (I've got about 10 of them now) over the winter. I'm just concerned about the condensation factor. How do you put them back into service?

Thanks for all of your expertise.

Jerry

In the fridge huh? I can guess that after you take them out ,condensation can build up in/on the battery from the difference in ambient temps.

As to the life of the battery, it's a "Smart" battery. It's has circuitry that monitors & protects the battery.
at $150 a pop, it better be smart enough LOL.

Whenever they start marketing with Smart I always hold my breath a bit. The chemical reaction in Lithium ion batteries is the same as it was decades ago and degrades all the same. Only thing slowing it down is temperature.

I buy food storage containers at Walmart that seal really well and use them to store the batteries. Other folks I know use Freezer ziplock bags if space is an issue.
When they come out of the fridge they sit in the containers till they come to room temp. No condensation worries.

Reactions: Mitchell Gerdes

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela