Battery data port

Reaction score
I did something stupid. I was trying to power my Solo with a non Solo battery. I accidentally put the positive battery lead to the Solos battery data port instead of the positive battery input just below. No smoke or anything but now when I put a charged Solo battery in I’m getting no telemetry data. Shows battery voltage as 0 and gives me the Solo battery to low for flight warning. It will still acquire satellites and sometimes gives the ready to fly notification, but holding the fly button does not start the motors. I’m able to start motors manually but have not had the courage/ stupidity to commit aviation!! I’m thinking I’ve damaged the Pixhawk. Any ideas? I hate to buy another Pixhawk and discovered I fried something else.

Did you check the data leads inside Solo? You may have gotten lucky and popped a lead, it's fairly fine wire.

Haven’t checked anything inside yet. Kinda figured I fried something. Not sure where the data leads are

Thanks I’ll take a look. If it’s fine gauge wire that would be a likely place to fail given the amount of voltage I put through it!!!

You put 16.8 volts into a serial data port. I forget what else is on the same i2c bus as the battery, but chances are you fried that i2c bus on the pixhawk. Simply putting too much voltage on it is not going to break the battery wires. I think the suggestion is to make sure they aren't just disconnected, which would be a case of severe luck.

Is the i2c bus a replaceable component? Forgive me, I’ve been trying to learn more about Solo electronics but have a long way to go! I really appreciate the help.

No but you can pick up a used pixhawk very cheap now that the "Green cube" is out, and it is fairly easy to change out. Go to the classified and ask for a price.

I’ve been seeing them for around $40. Just wasn’t sure if replacing the ph would solve the problem. I’ll give it a try and let you all know. Glad to find such a great knowledge base here. I primarily race rc road but really enjoy the Solo!

There is a chance you damaged lots of things. You won't know until you start replacing components to see what still works.

True. I know motors and esc’s are good. GPS is good. Receiver is good. I found a motherboard with Pixhawk for $75. Fairly confident that should put it back in the air.

I replaced the main board and Pixhawk last night. I decided to test it before putting the motor pods back in and all my telemetry was back up. Had gps battery voltage, the works. I then put the motors back in and buttoned everything up and now it’s showing 0 voltage and giving me the Solo battery too low for flight warning again. I’m at a total loss. Makes no sense at all. I’ll try pulling the motors again but I cannot see any correlation. Ideas?

I triple checked everything. I’m going to remove the pods and see if I get data. If I do I’ll connect one motor at a time. Starting to wonder if it’s the battery. Only have one but I can borrow one from a friend.

I’m baffled. Removed the pods and got all the data back. Connected each pod one at a time and found the only one that works properly is number 2. Tried all pods on the number two and they all failed. Only the number two pod on number two arm work. All four motors and esc’s work when I manually start. Obviously something wrong with my other three pods but what? Pulling hair now!!!

So number 2 pod works on all 4 arms. Seems I’ve damaged 3 esc’s. There is a part that gets hot on all 3 bad esc’s when I apply power. See photo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421