Backpacking abroad, how to pack Solo?

Reaction score
heading to east asia for few weeks...would like to get some great aerials of cityscapes/natural attractions. I have already familiarized myself with local laws.

I will be bringing solo with 5 batteries etc.

My biggest hurdle is transporting it. I just purchased a large 85L multiday backpack and the Solo backpack foam insert doesn't fit this new bag...I can use external suspension system to hold the entire Solo backpack from falling out but alas I cannot close to the zipper of my new 85L bag and the other contents in the bag will not be secured.

I'm sure someone of you have already traveled with your Solo. How did you do it if you're not able to roll it around in a pelican case but need to reserve your back for a proper bag? I'd rather not wear a Solo backback on my belly and carry my daypack on the back...i think that'll kill my travel experience and I want to free my hands to take photos etc.

Perhaps someone can point where I can find a foam insert for the Solo which is not any wider than a foot? Or just some kinda protective material with a gimbal lock from say IMP concepts?

Last edited:
What are the dimensions of the solo foam insert?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I use my Solo primarily to film backcountry skiing, ski mountaineering and other outdoor activities. I also use it to scope out the chutes and routes just over the next hill when we are heading up the mountain looking for a great line to ski.

I have found that Solo attaches nicely to my Black Diamond Speed pack using the external fixation straps designed to attach skis and other equipment. The foam bar you see was molded by me to secure the gimbal in place while I am climbing. This setup has worked very well for me so far.
IMG_3854.JPG IMG_3853.JPG

I have put Solo on the back of my daypack when I went hiking and I didn't like it becuse the motors and the gimbal are exposed to the element. Not to mention when I travel around I wanna keep it discrete for safety reasons and not have the quadcopter be visible.

What are the dimensions of the solo foam insert?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

mm just a bit bigger than the shipping egg carton box the Solo came in.

The Egg carton box fits better but zippers still dont fully close. I may just cut/mod my Soloback pack insert but I'm still open to other ideas, thanks.

I just pulled the trigger on my solo, and I am leaning towards something like this(there are plenty of other brands / same concept)--->(check the 2nd pic with the white pelican case..i dont use pink dry bags for the record.haha)
NRS Paragon Pack at nrs.com

Basically, I want the durability, waterproof, confidence of a pelican style hard-case.,,,but also want to be able to comfortably hike back country, etc

Reactions: EROC

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela