Awesome First Flight Since Update, Video, and a new friend.

Reaction score
Decided to get out today and burn up a few batteries, I hadn't done any test flight since the update which was performed without a hitch. I drove outside of Orlando towards Cocoa Beach, the best middle-of-nowhere without having to drive too far. I was hoping to get some shots of the thunderstorms rolling in, and perhaps some gators on the banks of the St. Johns River, but they were running late today, (storms). I also wanted to test the flight modes as well as the RTH accuracy.

After preflight checks, calibrating compass and level, I flew the first battery without any issues, (except that I forgot to turn the camera on).
While setting up a fresh battery, a minivan rolls up and this guy says "Hey, can I hang out with you", lol, I said sure come on over. Turns out he was driving around out here practicing his photography, (DSLR), which I also do. He was hoping to run into some wild life, etc. He asked what kind of 'drone' I had, and he has a buddy who has them, and he doesn't know much about them but wants to have one some day for photography, blah blah.
Nice guy, kept calling me sir. x-)
Anyway, I flew the next battery without incident, while explaining to him what I was doing. If you've seen my crash vids due to GPS loss you can only imagine how happy I was that I didn't lose connection. However, I was less than pleased with the controller signal strength with Solo. 1, maybe sometimes 2 bars, less than 200 ft. away. Needless to say I ordered my antennas when I got home. So my new buddy has a friend that might be buying my Hex, ...you just never know who you are going to meet when you're out and about.

Anyway, thought I would share the vid.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: MadMike and Raybro
Nice flying and great video LW! Thanks for sharing. Remember, the signal 'bars' are not much good. Many have reported getting to the last bar and then continuing for another 2000'. Best to watch the RSSI for a better indication of actual strength. Should start out at about -30 to -40 with typical RTH between -70 to -95 depending on environment.

Fly Safe..
Jubal

Reactions: Lonewulph
Nice flying and great video LW! Thanks for sharing. Remember, the signal 'bars' are not much good. Many have reported getting to the last bar and then continuing for another 2000'. Best to watch the RSSI for a better indication of actual strength. Should start out at about -30 to -40 with typical RTH between -70 to -95 depending on environment.

Fly Safe..
Jubal

Roger that, I wrote down those numbers ;) I was distracted with a LOT of questions from my unexpected visitor, so I didn't pull down the telemetry panel lol. I was just happy to not lose gps or video. Next time I'll be out practicing manual and stabilize, I hope to make those my default modes eventually. Thanks for your input!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc