Awaiting my solo in South Carolina

Reaction score
Soon to be a new solo owner here..just browsing through this massive amount of info here about the solo while I wait for it to be shipped..I've ordered the Nexus 7 tablet 2nd gen based on the amount of folks raving about it here..didn't want to use my phone and wanted a device dedicated to the solo only..been watching many videos on the tube about solo,and basically just flying my "toy" drones while I wait...i have installed the uav forecast app and my yard is a good area to fly in.. app says it has 16 sats locked in on the app at least,dont know if that means the solo will have the same.. it is a revision B board btw ...thanks for having me here and for all the great info..the solo seems like it's gonna be its own animal all by itself..not like the syma toys/hobby grade I'm used to..sorry for the long intro..cheers!

Welcome aboard, the GPS on your phone is a good start, but no the GPS on the solo will be very different. Rev B is definitely better than the Rev A but mostly due to shielding. Once you have it and fly it a while you can decide if it works good for you or if you want to fix the weakest point in Solo the GPS.
BTW I don't know how big your back yard is, but I would recommend a big open field for first flights
While you are waiting, get that user manual and read it to death
Know what the fail safes do in Solo
Know what happens if you lose GPS
Know what happens if you lose control signal
Know what happens when your battery gets low.

Knowing all of that, then figure out what you need to do when all of those happen. If you do this you will be miles ahead of the majority of first time flyers

Ok thanks!..I will certainly do all of the things you've mentioned..and I did download the manual and have been looking over it and have been watching some tutorials made by 3dr and by folks who look like they knowledgeable about this bird..and yes my fingers are crossed hoping that I have good sat coverage on the solo..but at the same time I am very much looking forward to flying it raw dog with no GPS at all and flying totally manual..so,until then I will continue to read and watch and take y'all's advice..thanks so much!

Reactions: Maddog
Can I ask you w what website do you use to download the manual I will be a 3Dr owner tomorrow. I'm 47 years old and I feel like a kid I keep checking the tracking to see where it's at and I can't wait for it to get here

Can I ask you w what website do you use to download the manual I will be a 3Dr owner tomorrow. I'm 47 years old and I feel like a kid I keep checking the tracking to see where it's at and I can't wait for it to get here
Lol...I do the same thing...I don't have a link but I just went to google did a search for 3dr solo manual and clicked on the official 3dr website..and you can download it as a PDF file to keep on your computer or device.

If you haven’t already- start looking for a couple extra batteries- shouldn’t be paying more than $50 each- I think at least 3 would do you pretty good- that would give you a good 40 minutes of flight time. And Master Airscrew sells props for your Solo- a complete set (4) will set you back about $17 for the newest style- order enough that it will include free shipping- I think two sets may take care of that- this way you benefit and the postal service doesn’t. ( not at YOUR expense ) they have 4 colors-
white, green, orange and black. Allows you to add your own custom touch with little effort-
The older version the prop ( gen 1) the retainer nut and propeller are separate- new sets the retainer nut is attached- like your Solo props-
If you have any questions, concerns or issues- ask the guys on this forum- they won’t steer you wrong.

Reactions: overdriver999
Lol...I do the same thing...I don't have a link but I just went to google did a search for 3dr solo manual and clicked on the official 3dr website..and you can download it as a PDF file to keep on your computer or device.
That will work and what I was just about to do all this should be very interesting how long to read I love computers and I recently started loving to fly my drones which are toys at the moment

If you haven’t already- start looking for a couple extra batteries- shouldn’t be paying more than $50 each- I think at least 3 would do you pretty good- that would give you a good 40 minutes of flight time. And Master Airscrew sells props for your Solo- a complete set (4) will set you back about $17 for the newest style- order enough that it will include free shipping- I think two sets may take care of that- this way you benefit and the postal service doesn’t. ( not at YOUR expense ) they have 4 colors-
white, green, orange and black. Allows you to add your own custom touch with little effort-
The older version the prop ( gen 1) the retainer nut and propeller are separate- new sets the retainer nut is attached- like your Solo props-
If you have any questions, concerns or issues- ask the guys on this forum- they won’t steer you wrong.
Good idea..I have ordered 1 battery already..so that gives me 2 total and gonna order some extra props too..I'm gonna try to grab a battery here and there as I go along,cant spend tooooo much money at once ,I've bought the solo,one extra battery and a tablet so far and if I go much more right away the wife might catch wind of it and we know how that goes,for some of us anyway..but great advice for sure,its definitely in the plans..thanks!

That will work and what I was just about to do all this should be very interesting how long to read I love computers and I recently started loving to fly my drones which are toys at the moment
Yes me too..I'm a 41 year old kid and this recent drone hobby has really taken off for me..I think this solo is gonna take it to the next level though..I can't wait to see how it flies..fingers crossed that all goes well for me ..and you too.

You guys are going to have a blast with your new Solo. If you are planning on using it for videography or photography you may want to purchase the 3DR gimbal for the best results; the 3DR gimbal may seem a little pricey, but it is worth the investment. But do your homework- it shoudn’t be hundreds of dollars- probably in the $125- $200 range I’d guess. The gimbals have dried up a bit over the last couple months- if you need one and see it at $125 or so- get it. But make sure it is a fully functional unit.

I got mine on eBay it was the whole backpack bundle the Drone place to gamble controller and two extra batteries for $298 shipped it sounded too good to be true but I bought it through PayPal so I pray it's just what he says it is

Poor Overdriver999,
Your poor wife is in for a shocker- unfortunately... so are you.
Most of us begin this adventure in the same fashion as yourself- gotta watch what I’m spending, wanna keep peace on the homefront. And then one day you realize that maybe you went a little overboard......let’s us all know when you get to a dozen!
And there are multiples of us in THAT boat.

You guys are going to have a blast with your new Solo. If you are planning on using it for videography or photography you may want to purchase the 3DR gimbal for the best results; the 3DR gimbal may seem a little pricey, but it is worth the investment. But do your homework- it shoudn’t be hundreds of dollars- probably in the $125- $200 range I’d guess. The gimbals have dried up a bit over the last couple months- if you need one and see it at $125 or so- get it. But make sure it is a fully functional unit.
I do plan on doing some video with it for sure..I have seen the gimbal for about 150$ but I just have to wait a little bit before I drop the cash on it with all the recent purchases...I would also like to mount my run cam 2 on it somehow if that's possible..zip tie maybe...not sure if anyone has used a run cam with success on the solo.

Poor Overdriver999,
Most of us begin this adventure in the same fashion as yourself- gotta watch what I’m spending, wanna keep peace on the homefront. And then one day you realize that maybe you went a little overboard......let’s us all know when you get to a dozen!
Lol..I'm sure of it

GumboPete-
I’ll be shocked if it includes the gimbal- hope for the best but be prepared for the worse-
Still, $298 for the Solo, backpack and two batteries is still a very good purchase. If the gimbal arrives- YOU SMOKED IT!

Poor Overdriver999,
GumboPete-
I’ll be shocked if it includes the gimbal- hope for the best but be prepared for the worse-
Still, $298 for the Solo, backpack and two batteries is still a very good purchase. If the gimbal arrives- YOU SMOKED IT!

I will definitely let you know tomorrow I just hope I can go to sleep tonight man I want to go fly one so bad

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea