Autopilot Firmware Upgrade from 1.3.1 to 1.5.3

If you have a maximum distance set, or any geofence set, it won't arm without a GPS fix. It can't because it needs a location to establish the fence. Set the distance for unlimited and don't enable any geofences.

Reactions: tinker bot
It was the distance limit. I set the distance limit to zero and the problems gone now :) Thank you for your help.

You're welcome. I'm guessing you're using Solex since the distance fence isn't in the Solo app?
Yep. I guess I never tried to arm it inside the house after I started using Solex, but after I did the upgrade my first thought was to try & see if things seemed to be working by trying to Arm it.

Any idea how to down grade if I have any real issues?

Last edited:
Yep. I guess I never tried to arm it inside the house after I started using Solex, but after I did the upgrade my first thought was to try & see if things seemed to be working by trying to Arm it.

Any idea how to down grade if I have any real issues?

Completely the same process with the different version of software.

Don't delete anything just as above but with 1.3.1

Reactions: tinker bot
you shouldn't have to downgrade for any reason. I've been running 1.5.3 since it was released and its super stable and the craft, coupled with the mro gps, the solo v2 shield is just rock solid. I can fly the darn thing surrounded by close in hills, houses and tree's and it maintains a solid lock on sats, and an hdop below 1 even when down low and a limited view of the sky.

the mRO gps module and the solo v2 shield are a must do upgrade in my opinion

Reactions: carpy and Stealth
you shouldn't have to downgrade for any reason. I've been running 1.5.3 since it was released and its super stable and the craft, coupled with the mro gps, the solo v2 shield is just rock solid. I can fly the darn thing surrounded by close in hills, houses and tree's and it maintains a solid lock on sats, and an hdop below 1 even when down low and a limited view of the sky.

the mRO gps module and the solo v2 shield are a must do upgrade in my opinion
Does the v2 shield really make a difference with mRo, which I have, along with a plastic version of the cardboard mod and the original Shield?

I think the shield V2 is a bespoke RF absorbing material, where as the cardboard mod was to prevent shorting of the copper shield. I'm guessing the bespoke V2 material is used as it's better in terms of RF than the copper, as well as just not risking shorting. Unfortunately I did the mRo and V2 replacement together so couldn't say what the V2 contributes - just that as you know the mRO really is a confidence booster, quick fix, no drop outs to date. Much more relaxing flying out knowing a simultaneous WiFi and GPS loss is less likely - I went 230m out to sea recently without even breaking into a sweat!

Yeah I think I should do it, just to gain more confidence in my Solo. Ive already done the WiFi, antenna, and GPS upgrades so I might as well do the shield v2. Besides I'm already due to order some more 3D printed parts from the printathing's printing partner & and you save $10 per item on the setup if you print items with the same specs all on one order. So I guess I'll order the shield from 3dr and The Shield/mRo 3d printed mounting plate.

The isolation plates and cardboard were there to prevent what some people experienced... poor GPS performance due to the copper shield touching various surface mounted components of the GPS. If you are not using the the copper shield, then the isolation plates and cardboard server zero functional purpose. The v2 shield replaces the copper shield. Ergo, no need for an isolation plate or piece of cardboard.

Well thanks for the response, I saw somebody online you them both and I was a bit confused.

I love this forum and you guys for all your knowledge. So I updated to the 1.5.2 yesterday afternoon at work since I needed a break. Updated successfully and was extremely happy. Now the fun part, took the ol bird up for a test flight. Everything went perfect. Came in to land and a gust of wind came and was in the process of blowing the drone into my boss's truck " I actually landed too close anyway", instincts said stop it before my brain said not with your hand stupid.

As forest gump says, "I'm not a smart man"

ugggggggggggg

Attachments

• 20170406_144214.jpg
    20170406_144214.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 84
Is there a way to check the firmware version you are flying with? After installing say 1.5.2, how to verify that it took?

Look in the iOS or android solo app under settings, system info. Tells you the versions of software for the solo, controller, gimbal etc

Last edited:
f5c7016a1ec325ca2dd814a8aff4e2f5.png

Reactions: mudbeast66
Btw 1.5.3 is the latest stable

Thanks, I will go check that out. I knew there had to be an easy way. See, I wasn't firing on all cylinders yesterday. LOL

EDIT.......
I guess I did load it correctly. At least I did something correctly, Just not the stopping a prop with your finger......... LOLView media item 591

Last edited:
Reactions: speatuk
Okay so I'm back after NOT flying it for almost 2 months and am going to use tower to set the ESC numbers just to be safe.
As I have updated my firmware to 1.5.3
Right off the bat, I notice that in settings that my FC_GCS_Enable Parameter is set to 0. Safest way to fly a fully autonomous mission?
Not 1 (stock) or 2 continue with mission then return.
Is this a result of upgrading the firmware?

Now oddly I did fly it out of range of the controller at our HUGE open flying field as a test and it did indeed initiate an RTL when it lost contact with the TX.
Which is not consistent with what I am seeing on this parameter in tower..

Any thoughts? am I going crazy? :)

Reactions: anthony_sleck
FS_GCS_Enable has no effect on anything here. That only applies if you're using the RC override function in Mission Planner.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela