Apparently the 3DR instructional videos should reference this forum!

Reaction score
Website
thelawtoncompany.com
Greetings all!
New to the forum and new Solo owner.
Equip: Solo, controller and using iPhone 6+ with app, gimbal and GP4 black.

I joined this forum in preparation of having questions several days ago but unfortunately hadn't spent any time exploring- boy do I wish I had come here instead of just watching the 3DR flight videos over and over and reading the literature provided with the unit.

After owning the Solo for a couple of weeks I finally had the opportunity to fly it today. Nowhere did I find in the 3DR literature that if I didn't shut off the wifi on my GoPro4 there was a risk of loss of signal that could result in partial loss of control and/or increased likelihood of crashing.

I would not have flown had I know the potential to destroy my investment before I even put it into service, if I had known there was potential to lose control of the unit within 25 feet of where I was standing. As much as I wanted to test fly the Solo I would have just waited until I could take a trip South to find an enormous field. I am not sure that would have prevented the crash but it would have minimized the chances for damage.

I do not live where I can find a football sized, mowed field with no trees for hundreds of feet in all directions. I also purchased the Solo to use it in exactly the type of flying environment I was in today. My intended use is to perform safety inspections for construction operations as well as aerial video of completed projects for marketing purposes. Today I just wanted to do a small test flight, basically up and down, to make sure that the newly installed gimbal was working and so I could see all of the features of the controller and app in action. I was planning to spend the long weekend logging some real flight hours and getting comfortable with flying and recording video.

First flight I did not install the GoPro in the gimbal. I powered up and got an 8 satellite lock in a very short amount of time. Took off and flew up to about 50' and above any trees and then played around with the controller to get a feel for responsiveness and reaction time between the solo and the controller. Everything worked fantastically and I was surprised how smooth the operation was and how well the Solo responded to the controller. I then landed manually, in a location about 20' from where I took off so I could see how that process would go should I encounter an issue and need to land manually. Took off again, buzzed left, right, back and forth in the open area at 15' off the ground, keeping the speed at the lowest setting. All good.

Second flight I wanted to see the features of the latest update for GoPro control so I hooked up the GoPro, went through the power up sequence, turned on the GoPro and all looked good so I took flight. The initial takeoff went smoothly as before but as I raised the Solo into the air further, somewhere estimated around 25' I was watching the Solo but glanced down and just caught something on the screen of my phone that said something about "manual" in big bold letters on the screen. Still looking at the screen to see if I hit a button by accident I caught the movement of the solo by luck or peripheral vision or whatever and looked up to see it in a speed drift to my right as if a gust of wind had caught it (however there was no wind). I figured out quickly that I had either lost GPS or something but unfortunately was within 6' of a tree by the time my brain processed what was happening and I realized that I had to stop the drift before I hit the tree. I didn't panic but with my limited time flying I made two very simple, but bad, decisions. Heading toward a tree to my right and about to crash- Left and Left on the controller sticks was my instinct and of course all this achieved was spinning the Solo to face me as I smashed it into the tree ever harder than it likely would have had I not tried to save it.

End result. It sheared at least one of the props off on the tree and then dove the 25'+/- drop to the ground then a 20' fish out of water flop while I stabbed at the land button (now panicking) trying to figure out how to turn the props off as the Solo flipped and bounced along an old stone wall on the edge of the clearing. All props destroyed, one bank of the rear LEDs smashed, the housing of the body busted open where the battery attaches at the front of the unit, bangs and scrapes on the body and plenty of dirt in the prop motors.

I was able to get the body snapped back together, albeit a bit deformed looking and amazingly the GoPro didn't get a scratch on it. The copper tinfoil looking stuff under the front of the battery compartment (I am assuming this is some kind of signal or magnetic shield?) was bent so I also smoothed that back out before reinstalling that cover. The gimbal appeared to have partially separated from the body of the Solo but all screws were tight so I loosened them and the plastic snapped back into place, seemingly good as new.

I am not sure if the unit will fly again as I only had the two spare propellers but I did clean and test operation of the motors without props on them and they seem to be in working order and they started and stopped smoothly and with no bad noises or smells. Hopefully this beauty will live to fight another day.

I do have two questions however.

1) The gimbal motor now makes a humming or buzzing noise when powered up (without the camera installed). I didn't note this before the crash and am wondering if this is normal or have I damaged the gimbal motor in the crash?
2) How do you download and read the flight logs to ascertain exactly what happened and to learn from the experience? It happened so fast that I'd really like to know the exact sequence of what occurred, for certain. Will it tell me that the GoPro wifi caused the loss of stability?

I will be seriously bummed if just not knowing that the GoPro wifi had potential to cause today's destruction was the cause. I chose the Solo specifically for the "smart" ability to have the unit hover in place while I was learning how to fly it and operate the camera (and I already owned a couple of GoPro cameras).

Looks like I'll spend more time on this forum then watching the flight school vids if my Solo still functions when the new props come in. Appears to be a lot of knowledge here!

Gimbal noise is normal without the gopro. The gimbal needs the gopro to counterbalance. Without the gopro there is a lot of strain on the gimbal motors which is prob where the humming is coming from. If you want to fly without the camera ide remove the gimbal.

As far as flight logs go im not sure if we can view them but you can send them to 3dr for analysis thru the settings in app i believe.

Reactions: STRIKER and Slawth
Greetings all!
New to the forum and new Solo owner.
Equip: Solo, controller and using iPhone 6+ with app, gimbal and GP4 black.

I joined this forum in preparation of having questions several days ago but unfortunately hadn't spent any time exploring- boy do I wish I had come here instead of just watching the 3DR flight videos over and over and reading the literature provided with the unit.

After owning the Solo for a couple of weeks I finally had the opportunity to fly it today. Nowhere did I find in the 3DR literature that if I didn't shut off the wifi on my GoPro4 there was a risk of loss of signal that could result in partial loss of control and/or increased likelihood of crashing.

I would not have flown had I know the potential to destroy my investment before I even put it into service, if I had known there was potential to lose control of the unit within 25 feet of where I was standing. As much as I wanted to test fly the Solo I would have just waited until I could take a trip South to find an enormous field. I am not sure that would have prevented the crash but it would have minimized the chances for damage.

I do not live where I can find a football sized, mowed field with no trees for hundreds of feet in all directions. I also purchased the Solo to use it in exactly the type of flying environment I was in today. My intended use is to perform safety inspections for construction operations as well as aerial video of completed projects for marketing purposes. Today I just wanted to do a small test flight, basically up and down, to make sure that the newly installed gimbal was working and so I could see all of the features of the controller and app in action. I was planning to spend the long weekend logging some real flight hours and getting comfortable with flying and recording video.

First flight I did not install the GoPro in the gimbal. I powered up and got an 8 satellite lock in a very short amount of time. Took off and flew up to about 50' and above any trees and then played around with the controller to get a feel for responsiveness and reaction time between the solo and the controller. Everything worked fantastically and I was surprised how smooth the operation was and how well the Solo responded to the controller. I then landed manually, in a location about 20' from where I took off so I could see how that process would go should I encounter an issue and need to land manually. Took off again, buzzed left, right, back and forth in the open area at 15' off the ground, keeping the speed at the lowest setting. All good.

Second flight I wanted to see the features of the latest update for GoPro control so I hooked up the GoPro, went through the power up sequence, turned on the GoPro and all looked good so I took flight. The initial takeoff went smoothly as before but as I raised the Solo into the air further, somewhere estimated around 25' I was watching the Solo but glanced down and just caught something on the screen of my phone that said something about "manual" in big bold letters on the screen. Still looking at the screen to see if I hit a button by accident I caught the movement of the solo by luck or peripheral vision or whatever and looked up to see it in a speed drift to my right as if a gust of wind had caught it (however there was no wind). I figured out quickly that I had either lost GPS or something but unfortunately was within 6' of a tree by the time my brain processed what was happening and I realized that I had to stop the drift before I hit the tree. I didn't panic but with my limited time flying I made two very simple, but bad, decisions. Heading toward a tree to my right and about to crash- Left and Left on the controller sticks was my instinct and of course all this achieved was spinning the Solo to face me as I smashed it into the tree ever harder than it likely would have had I not tried to save it.

End result. It sheared at least one of the props off on the tree and then dove the 25'+/- drop to the ground then a 20' fish out of water flop while I stabbed at the land button (now panicking) trying to figure out how to turn the props off as the Solo flipped and bounced along an old stone wall on the edge of the clearing. All props destroyed, one bank of the rear LEDs smashed, the housing of the body busted open where the battery attaches at the front of the unit, bangs and scrapes on the body and plenty of dirt in the prop motors.

I was able to get the body snapped back together, albeit a bit deformed looking and amazingly the GoPro didn't get a scratch on it. The copper tinfoil looking stuff under the front of the battery compartment (I am assuming this is some kind of signal or magnetic shield?) was bent so I also smoothed that back out before reinstalling that cover. The gimbal appeared to have partially separated from the body of the Solo but all screws were tight so I loosened them and the plastic snapped back into place, seemingly good as new.

I am not sure if the unit will fly again as I only had the two spare propellers but I did clean and test operation of the motors without props on them and they seem to be in working order and they started and stopped smoothly and with no bad noises or smells. Hopefully this beauty will live to fight another day.

I do have two questions however.

1) The gimbal motor now makes a humming or buzzing noise when powered up (without the camera installed). I didn't note this before the crash and am wondering if this is normal or have I damaged the gimbal motor in the crash?
2) How do you download and read the flight logs to ascertain exactly what happened and to learn from the experience? It happened so fast that I'd really like to know the exact sequence of what occurred, for certain. Will it tell me that the GoPro wifi caused the loss of stability?

I will be seriously bummed if just not knowing that the GoPro wifi had potential to cause today's destruction was the cause. I chose the Solo specifically for the "smart" ability to have the unit hover in place while I was learning how to fly it and operate the camera (and I already owned a couple of GoPro cameras).

Looks like I'll spend more time on this forum then watching the flight school vids if my Solo still functions when the new props come in. Appears to be a lot of knowledge here!
Welcom to the Forum Slawth!

The way I understand it..you should never power up Solo with out the GoPro in the Gimbal....you can damage it!
Do you still have the humming or Buzzing sound with the GoPro in the gimbal..?

Cheers

Reactions: Ian [P13]
Welcom to the Forum Slawth!

The way I understand it..you should never power up Solo with out the GoPro in the Gimbal....you can damage it!
Do you still have the humming or Buzzing sound with the GoPro in the gimbal..?

Cheers
That is good information to know! I did not reinstall the GP after I had it all put back together. I only powered it up to test the motors to see if I needed to order any of those as well and heard the gimbal making that sound. I'll uninstall the gimbal when the new props arrive so I can be sure it is going to fly properly after the damage and then reinstall the gimbal and camera and check for the noise without the propellers installed on power up.

Reactions: Slawth
The fact that you were still getting data and presumably video to your app when this happens would suggest to me that the GoPro wifi didn't cause a break in transmitter signal here. Plus the Solo doesn't seem to be as sensitive to GoPro wifi interference as some other quads, it's just always a good idea to disable it since it's not needed and *could* cause problems.

Sounds to me like it started losing GPS signal causing a drift, continued to full loss of signal, switching to Fly:Manual mode automatically but at this point it is in a drift and holding altitude, then spun, hit the tree. I've had similar close calls/drift with loss of GPS signal a couple of times myself. Logs should shed more light on how many sats it was seeing during this ordeal.

Gosh Slawth, I'm going to have to make you my new poster boy for how not to start your drone career! Lol!

When I decided to give drone flying a shot, I, like many people, bought a $50 drone to practice with. I crashed a lot but learned to fly without any automation. Becoming competent with a drone takes months.

Anybody can fly something like Solo or Phantom because the automation actually does the flying- you just monitor the systems.
As you have just learned, being able to fly when the automation fails, is absolutely essential. Not only to prevent damage but to prevent injury to persons nearby.

You can certainly learn to fly manually with Solo but the price for typical learning accidents will be high!

The Solo operators manual can be downloaded from the 3DR website and should be something you read before flying. Page 10 talks about the GoPro wifi.

If you haven't done so already you should read it.

Welcome and good luck!

Reactions: Slawth and Chuck
I am with Maddog on this. Not only should you read the manual, but I would print the entire thing, and put it in a binder for reading down the road. I refer to mine all the time as a refresher.

That's not a good first experience, that's for sure - but yes there were a couple of basic errors. Indeed the Manual states specifically to make sure the wifi on the GoPro is turned off. I am wondering why you switched it on in the first place because you get a live feed anyway... I'm sure the default is wifi OFF on the GoPro.

Let's hope your next experience is both with the benefit of some wisdom and lessons learnt!

Attachments

• 2015-11-26_12-53-11.png
    2015-11-26_12-53-11.png
    119 KB · Views: 17
  • p2.png
    p2.png
    112.1 KB · Views: 12
In the past, 3DR did help others that "didn't read all instructions" You may have several problems resulting from that crash?
I would ask for a RMA, send in it with Gimbal & battery & if they don't warranty it, at the lease, they will fix any problems or potential problems the right way.
Solo it a wonderful piece of equipment, when all is working right.

This thread brings up a good point though, there should be a "Things new flyers should know" type of sticky thread at the top of the forum, that goes over the basics...linking to video examples, threads that explain important topics. There is a lot of info here, but it's buried and most new people aren't going to know where to start searching.

Gosh Slawth, I'm going to have to make you my new poster boy for how not to start your drone career! Lol!

When I decided to give drone flying a shot, I, like many people, bought a $50 drone to practice with. I crashed a lot but learned to fly without any automation. Becoming competent with a drone takes months.

Anybody can fly something like Solo or Phantom because the automation actually does the flying- you just monitor the systems.
As you have just learned, being able to fly when the automation fails, is absolutely essential. Not only to prevent damage but to prevent injury to persons nearby.

You can certainly learn to fly manually with Solo but the price for typical learning accidents will be high!

The Solo operators manual can be downloaded from the 3DR website and should be something you read before flying. Page 10 talks about the GoPro wifi.

If you haven't done so already you should read it.

Welcome and good luck!

Hahaha! I'm ok with being the example, given the way this particular quad copter has been marketed and 3DRs push to demystify the art of flying for the masses, my experience is fairly likely to occur more often than it might with other models. I bought the solo, and paid the premium price, exactly because of the reduced learning curve. I don't have months to hone my skills- I am lucky to find 3 hours in a week to pursue my interests. I like tech, I am fortunate to have the resources to acquire gadgets that spark my interest. I like tech that automates and simplifies daily life and/or pursuits that I am passionate about. I am the the target market.

My only disappointment is that 3DR has over-hyped the simplicity of operation, right down to their training videos, when clearly the solo's "smart" features are not reliable enough out of the box to make these claims yet. Now that I've spent a good chunk of time data-mining threads here on this forum I can see that I didn't buy what I thought and practice flying aside, I will likely not be able to use the Solo in the way that I intended without modifying it myself or waiting for 3DR to release upgrades (as well as finding a huge field and logging hours flying when I can ).

I could have purchased a less expensive drone for sure. I spent the money outside my experience bracket, so to speak, because the Solo appeared to be the perfect solution to my need.

If I can't get up and running and be able to at least get basic aerial video by getting a couple hours per week here and there to practice then it will be more cost effective for me to hire a professional who does have the months/years of experience to get the shots/videos I want and I can satisfy my tech craving with a toy drone.

I really should have spent the time to read through threads here before even buying the Solo. It is clear that it isn't yet able to reliably do what 3DR claims, and your mentioned safety concern is real.

Hey- check it out. Just hold down the fly button and your off and flying like a pro in no time. That is until you lose gps at your local park/athletic field and have to rely on your 3 hours of manual flight practice to prevent the Solo from shooting full speed across the road and into a playground full of children.

The manual. Funny that you should mention this top secret document. As a new pilot I would certainly have wanted to read this cover to cover had I known it existed. After reading your post I asked myself how in the hell did I not see that there was a more detailed manual? So I went back to the big fold open guides that come in the box with the solo. Not a single reference there. Hmmm maybe in the app that they tout as the gateway to knowledge and operation of the Solo. No link or mention of a manual there either. Head over to the website. 3 layers deep: support>useful links>OMG THE SECRET MANUAL! Found it.

I'm going to have to go shower to get all of this sarcasm off.

It's my fault. I should have known better and I usually research things to death before buying them. I got caught up in the idea that the Solo was an easy solution that I could pay my way out of a good chunk of the learning curve and as we all know that only works for Politicians.

Lesson learned. I ordered a ridiculously over-priced set of propeller guards so if my Solo still flies again I'll be less likely to destroy props or cut my own head off while I learn how to fly it in manual mode. I'll report back if I can figure out how to get the flight logs and if the unit will fly again.

Thank you for the feedback and have a happy Thanksgiving!

Reactions: 500VDC and J R
Hang in there Slawth. We all learn from our mistakes, and as long as we learn from them and stay positive, we can go on. I hope all can be fixed on your bird and you are up and flying real soon. Keep us posted, and have a Happy Thanksgiving yourself.

Yep- hang in there! I didn't mean to dampen your enthusiasm- Solo is a great drone but it has some teething pains.

I too thought I would just take it out of the box and start getting great video. Not quite.

Your point of view is good to hear because you are pointing out things I have forgotten about (like the manual). I don't remember how I found it but you're right, it should at least be mentioned in the stuff in the box.

Solo will do what you want and with a little practice you'll be fine. Clearly you were caught off guard this time so it's all downhill from here!

Vu, are you reading this?:)

This thread brings up a good point though, there should be a "Things new flyers should know" type of sticky thread at the top of the forum, that goes over the basics...linking to video examples, threads that explain important topics. There is a lot of info here, but it's buried and most new people aren't going to know where to start searching.
Clearly 3DR needs to put some more info in the box to at least direct new owners to resources for more information.

Clearly 3DR needs to put some more info in the box to at least direct new owners to resources for more information.
We used to ship a CD with the manual on it with our product, but it was always out of date. Now we enclose a brightly colored slip that indicates how to obtain the manual online... However our product stays on the ground and is not potentially dangerous.
I'm continually amazed at the calls we get where people haven't consulted the manual, FAQs, support forum, videos, etc.

I agree. If I was able to locate the manual even before taking delivery of my Solo, anyone should be able to. When I got my Solo and saw what came with it as far as instructions goes, I was real happy I had the manual to refer to.

I am a brand new 3DR owner (just arrived yesterday) but have had 5 other quadcopters from a competitor or two. I agree on the initial startup & manual - the videos are great, but there is a lot they gloss over, which is to be expected because they're videos. To make a video of the entire manual would take forever, and no one would watch it :)

Having the link prominently in the packaging to the real manual would be great. I downloaded it a week ago and read through it, but will always have a copy in my backpack for the times when my memory is less than reliable, and I need to refresh myself on what to do.

I'll chime in here ... I was on board with 3DR when they announced Solo. I preordered and waited with great anticipation. I've gone through emotional ups and downs directly related to product delivery deadlines, and considered purchasing another product.

Until recently I did not experience any "problems" with Solo - at least what I consider a problem. I did however experience delayed GPS lock which I suspect has something to do with my one and only crash ... This is a story for another post.

I have had some interaction with 3DR tech support and for the most part have been satisfied with their responses.

3DRs marketing is top notch and I feel Colin does a great job of convincing people Solo is stupid proof -- I can assure you it's not.

Forgetting to read the manual, missing a sentence or playing "let's see what this does" may result in injury or loss of property. Colin is pretty clear on flight environment parameters ... Big, grassy, treeless field - for the new pilot who hopes to take advantage of Solo's automated technology this is a must. Beyond this environment you are live without a net.

My 2 cents for today

New propellers arrived but the flying conditions haven't been ideal with several days of gusty winds but it calmed sufficiently to do a short test flight.

The Solo appears to be no worse for the wear. I'm pretty psyched honestly. This certainly speaks to the durability of the construction.

Here is a video of the short test flight. I didn't mess with the GoPro settings so the vid is choppy but not due to the flight- even with some gusty wind (which is also why I kept it short and stayed low). I threw some music over it to ease the pain of boring footage...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That area is about as close as I'm going to find to an open treeless field in this area.

No loss of GPS at all this time but it did take quite a bit longer to get Sat lock then it did the first two flights. I'm guessing the overcast skies played a part in that.

Looking forward to logging some flying time in the near future.

Thanks to all for sharing your insight and or opinions. It's all up from here

Somehow I don't imagine I've had my last episode with losing GPS signal with the Solo though given where I live and work. I'm not afraid of diving into a modification but I'd really rather spend any time I have flying, not working on the unit- I have enough of those type of toys/equipment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela