APC Slow Flyer 11X4.7 Propellers - Adapters or Not?

Reaction score
Do you install APC Slow Flyer propellers on the X8+ with or without adapters? My X8+ cam without adapters and the propellers feel 'loose" on the motor shaft. During a ground run after assembly, a propeller came loose and fell off and I am wondering whether the propeller not fitting "snuggly" on the shaft could be the cause, or is it that I just didn't tighten de securing nut enough.

I'm currently investigating this issue with 3DR and APC, but I would like to know what other X8+ owners do...

Thanks,
Ron

Do you install APC Slow Flyer propellers on the X8+ with or without adapters? My X8+ cam without adapters and the propellers feel 'loose" on the motor shaft. During a ground run after assembly, a propeller came loose and fell off and I am wondering whether the propeller not fitting "snuggly" on the shaft could be the cause, or is it that I just didn't tighten de securing nut enough.

I'm currently investigating this issue with 3DR and APC, but I would like to know what other X8+ owners do...

I don't understand the SF and SFP propellers. I've had to guess at what these stand for and came up with "Slow Flyer" and "Slow Flyer Pusher". Is that right? If it is right then why are the pusher and the non-pusher 50/50 distributed among the top and bottom props? It does not seem right to put a pusher on the top and a non-pusher on the bottom.

To your question: I just screwed mine on, there were no adapters. Mine slide on easily, there is not a lot of excess play but it is also unlike some of the 3D Robotics Youtube video that indicates they go on hard and may require the screw to help push them on.

On the propeller subject: I've been reading that coaxial systems work more efficiently if the top propeller is slightly larger than the bottom. The top needs to have a lower pitch than the bottom such that the square of the diameter of the bottom times its pitch is approx. the same as the square of top propeller's diameter times its pitch (I'll have to look that up again but I think I'm remembering that correctly). Given that there is room for a larger prop. on the top .. anyone tried such a thing? I bought a few 12" props. from Hobby King and am likely to give it a try myself one of these days.

I don't understand the SF and SFP propellers. I've had to guess at what these stand for and came up with "Slow Flyer" and "Slow Flyer Pusher". Is that right? If it is right then why are the pusher and the non-pusher 50/50 distributed among the top and bottom props? It does not seem right to put a pusher on the top and a non-pusher on the bottom.

To your question: I just screwed mine on, there were no adapters. Mine slide on easily, there is not a lot of excess play but it is also unlike some of the 3D Robotics Youtube video that indicates they go on hard and may require the screw to help push them on.

On the propeller subject: I've been reading that coaxial systems work more efficiently if the top propeller is slightly larger than the bottom. The top needs to have a lower pitch than the bottom such that the square of the diameter of the bottom times its pitch is approx. the same as the square of top propeller's diameter times its pitch (I'll have to look that up again but I think I'm remembering that correctly). Given that there is room for a larger prop. on the top .. anyone tried such a thing? I bought a few 12" props. from Hobby King and am likely to give it a try myself one of these days.

As you have guessed, SF stands for Slow Flyer and SFP for Slow Flyer Pusher. Those are the APC brand names for the propellers.

I exchanged with the technical staff and ordered some stock propellers from them. What I discovered is that 3D Robotics has had the APC propellers pre-bored to 5mm especially for them, so the adapters are not provided by 3DR nor are they required. If you are using replacement propellers, they come stock with a set of 3mm and 5mm adapters.

Whether I installed the 3DR supplied or the APC stock propellers with adapter, the fit was exactly the same and certainly not a "snug" fit, as explained in the assembly instructions. The staff at 3DR confirmed that this was all proper.

The APC Slow Flyer propeller comes in a variety of pitch and lengths and they can be bought direct from the manufacturer. Slow Flyer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela