Anyone venture into DIY antennas ?

Reaction score
I have the solder and other tools but I am not that versed in making my own. I came across this one below Quadrifilar. Anyone have any experience making their own ? I will try to make one tonight. I came across this design on youtube the other night.

Martin

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

quad.PNG

Reactions: ChrisM101
I don't know if you can beat the FPVLR or the DBSMods setup. They work pretty well.

Hi
I made a set of these myself. I didnt have any equipment to tune or verify them, I also did paint them with PlastiDip.
Apparently PlastiDip aswell as many other paints will affect the tune quite a bit.
I put them on anyway and didnt find any diffrence from the stock antennas. I have 4 of them, both on the controller and the Solo.
I have no clue about how off i am in frequency and impedans, maybe with some tuning they can get better.

The other day I did order a small Vector Network Analyzer, the "MiniVNA Tiny". I hopefully get it some time next week.
I am really hoping that it will help me making these better.

When one googles this type of antenna, you hardly find any in the 2.4GHz range. They are mostly way bigger, aslo, they differ quite alot
from Andrew McNiels design in the linked video. While on his version, all the leads are connected to the inner line at the top of the antenna.
But every other version of it which i can find, has two circuits. Sorry, I have a hard time trying to explain, but english isn't my first language...

Just google QHF-antenna, and you see the diffrence from the one in the video.

I also have the more powerful wifi board MikroTik R11e-2Hnd, 800mw. on order, to put in the Solo.
And a set of 3w amps for the controller, to use when needed.
A solution with a directional antenna, just isn't for me. I want omni-directional with a solid signal up to 800-1000 meters.

In actuality, the MikroTiks don't really add that much. They are a bit more sensitive though, but most perceived gains are basically placebo. Regardless of the cards max transmitting capability, Tx power is set and dictated by the solo software (feeding the signal to the wifi) so you won't be using it's full potential (800mw) because the software won't allow you. I believe it is limited to 125mW. Tx power is also dictated in part by the settings in the solo software for what country you are in. The amps will definitely help though.

There are some very long discussion threads with the actual findings and challenges if you search the forum for "mikrotik"

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M