Anybody Else use Solo for Mostly Just Flying...?

Reaction score
After about 3 months, I have settled in with (3) Solos...one with gimbal, Hero4 Black, and modded for vibration free video...and two with camera mounts removed and holes plugged. All have the mRo GPS boards.

I grew up an Air Force brat and have always been around and loved things that fly. Back when Solo first came out, I really wanted one, but could not afford it, so I just got a $50 quad from Target and flew it till the battery ran out. As I figured I would, I absolutely loved flying it. When Solos got cheap, I got one with no intentions of video, just wanted to fly it...I fell in love with flying it!

Watching all the quad videos prompted me to get another Solo with gimbal and camera. While the camera FPV and videos are definitely cool...I am finding that I really mostly enjoy simply flying Solo around the sky, and that is what I do 90% of the time. So I am just curious...how many people mostly just fly, and how many mostly video?

And since I'm doing all this typing...I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone on here for their help and assistance. Very simply, I could not be flying without this forum and the people on it...so THANK YOU.

Allen,

Flying around the sky is what they're meant to do. Perfectly fine if that's what your goal is. I haven't mastered my videography yet either, but since it's 4° in Western CT this morning, flying will have to wait for warmer weather.

Point is....have fun!

Rick

No, for just flying I have a racer. Solo is a cinematic platform. right tool for the right job
solo is fun to fly, yes, but not its primary function., the dirt cheap prices have people using it for all sorts of things

I have a few different drones, a DJI Mavic Pro, Inspire 1 Pro and Solo. The Solo is the most fun to fly with the Mavic being a close second. I don't know if that's because it is somewhat disposable or what but for whatever reason it just feels different.

Flying the Solo in manual mode is a kick, and sport mode is a great challenge. I don't know that I'd fly with any payload in sport mode just because it is so twitchy, but for sure it is improving my skills as a pilot.

After about 3 months, I have settled in with (3) Solos...one with gimbal, Hero4 Black, and modded for vibration free video...and two with camera mounts removed and holes plugged. All have the mRo GPS boards.

I grew up an Air Force brat and have always been around and loved things that fly. Back when Solo first came out, I really wanted one, but could not afford it, so I just got a $50 quad from Target and flew it till the battery ran out. As I figured I would, I absolutely loved flying it. When Solos got cheap, I got one with no intentions of video, just wanted to fly it...I fell in love with flying it!

Watching all the quad videos prompted me to get another Solo with gimbal and camera. While the camera FPV and videos are definitely cool...I am finding that I really mostly enjoy simply flying Solo around the sky, and that is what I do 90% of the time. So I am just curious...how many people mostly just fly, and how many mostly video?

And since I'm doing all this typing...I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone on here for their help and assistance. Very simply, I could not be flying without this forum and the people on it...so THANK YOU.
Since you are mainly for flying, have you tried getting a racer.

I find that running Solo with sticks set for "extreme fast" mode works for me.

I have 3 Solos. 1 somewhat modified (GPS, motors, WiFi) with Gimbal and GoPro 4.
The other 2 are stock for backyard flying, but are basically "Organ Doners".

I have 3 Solos. 1 somewhat modified (GPS, motors, WiFi) with Gimbal and GoPro 4.
The other 2 are stock for backyard flying, but are basically "Organ Doners".
I also have 3+Solo, but none are organ donors. I have one stock with shell open. I have one stock for comparison flying, I have one with modifications. I used the modified to test new components and firmware programming. Then compare the performance with the stock. The one stock with open shell is used for layout reference. I also have several arducopters with various adaption of Solo features. I also have iris and dji for comparison. For fun, I fly racers and micro quads.

I do use those 2 for flying. Backyard flying. Mainly to practice manual flying without risking my gimbal/GoPro.
But in the end I got them to ensure a source of replacement parts for my main bird.
And those 2 Solos are the result of cobbling together 3 E-Bay non functioning Solos.

I have a few different drones, a DJI Mavic Pro, Inspire 1 Pro and Solo. The Solo is the most fun to fly with the Mavic being a close second. I don't know if that's because it is somewhat disposable or what but for whatever reason it just feels different.

Flying the Solo in manual mode is a kick, and sport mode is a great challenge. I don't know that I'd fly with any payload in sport mode just because it is so twitchy, but for sure it is improving my skills as a pilot.

I second this. I have a mavic and have two solos but enjoy flying the solo more. The mavic feels like its locked down and the solo is open to tinkering. Hence "open solo"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo