any recommendation on strippers

Reaction score
Any good recommendation on fine gauged wire strippers for 30/32 AWG stranded work? I like self adjusting, but I would prefer a good quality clean cut.

Thanks Rich, That definitely looks promising, I'm aiming for consistent stripping lengths of about 1.5 mm for my immediate needs. I was looking at the molex but it's specs didn't mention silicone insulation. The phoenix wirefox mentions silicone, but i'm not familiar with the brand and it looks like the Jonard you recommended weighs in at half the cost which is a big plus...

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/63817-0000/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtyU1cDF2RqUK69hFXDKMuvjfjrVoTpomk=

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Phoenix-Contact/1212706/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuxaxGVT3gSIiEvZ6mle9Ys1i8aOyIdmlcMeq8F2M625w==

I like self-adjusting for larger wire gauges, but for this fine wire with even finer strands, I prefer a little more delicate approach. The Jonar tool gives a square cut, once the tool is mastered.

To be honest neither Molex or Phoenix makes their strippers, private labeled is more like it. No problem with Phoenix branded products, been using them for over 25 years - military and data/telecom spec'd stuff.

Would be curious if you went with the self-adjusting and how they worked for you.

I'll let you know, I'm still on the fence but need to do a little more research... I sure do love my klein katapults for heavier gauges.

Rich, How is the Jonar's quality of the stripped edge for fine gauge silicone?

For what it's worth, my experience with the Molex/WireFox is overall positive.

I haven't yet determined whether the Molex/WireFox are adequate for prepping wire for DF13 connectors. The minimum strip length that can be achieved with the wire stop is ~2mm which is too long for DF13 standards so I will have to modify the wire stop a bit. In my experience the strippers sometimes left a bit of a jagged edge where the wire is stripped on both PVC and silicone wiring. I'm guessing a component of that is operator skill, so I will test various stripping speeds and methods to work out the variability.

170117_183703.jpg

That being said, for other applications (dupont connectors, prepping wire for soldering, etc.) they are a very nice tool. They are far superior to the knipex self adjusting wire stripper I was using which would leave permanent indentations where it gripped the wire's insullation. Superior also in terms of ease of use, strip quality (albeit a bit jagged) and they require a reduced amount of grip force. Repeat-ability of strip length is pretty good, and ultimately left up to the operator (i.e. dont jam the wire against the backstop).

The Molex and the WireFox wire strippers appear mechanically identical, are both made in Sweden (likely by the same manufacturer), and both result in a similar wire strip qualities. My experience using both is therefore identical and I couldn't tell the stripped edges apart. I have not used the xcelites, but I have a suspicion that they are made by the same manufacturer. This can probably be easily confirmed if it can be determined that they are manufactured in Sweden, and the cost is a little more competitive than the others....

Molex
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/63817-0000/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtyU1cDF2RqUK69hFXDKMuvjfjrVoTpomk=

WireFox
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Phoenix-Contact/1212706/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuxaxGVT3gSIiEvZ6mle9Ys1i8aOyIdmlcMeq8F2M625w==

Xcelite SAS3210
Xcelite SAS3210 Self-Adjusting Wire Stripper with Spring, 32-10 AWG Stripping Range, 7-1/2" Length, Fiberglass Grip: Automatic Wire Stripping Tool: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

haha, that's your first post? I doubt you even own a Solo... I wonder what you were googling to stumble across this forum :)

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Reactions: speatuk
Rich, How is the Jonar's quality of the stripped edge for fine gauge silicone?
Like all strippers, you get what you pay for...

I have standard jacketed wire only, no silicone. Seems the blade and guide would allow for thicker jacket of silicone wire. Other than that, the tool is consistent for repeatable strip lengths of under a mm and not cutting strands.

Reactions: pious_greek

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela