Any one working on a battery mod?

Reaction score
Hello guys I'm still looking for a battery mod for the Solo. Battery life was good before the Gimbal and now with it battery life has reduced dramatically. Any one close. Thanks guys

Hello guys I'm still looking for a battery mod for the Solo. Battery life was good before the Gimbal and now with it battery life has reduced dramatically. Any one close. Thanks guys

Do you have any of your numbers/times of pre and post gimbal install? I'm averaging around 14 minutes with gimbal and I believe was around 20 minutes without. Would be interesting to see if 3DR comes out with a higher capacity flight battery.

Cheers

Do you have any of your numbers/times of pre and post gimbal install? I'm averaging around 14 minutes with gimbal and I believe was around 20 minutes without. Would be interesting to see if 3DR comes out with a higher capacity flight battery.

Cheers

I flew my Solo 4 miles out one way and 8 miles round trip or about 20 min flight before the Gimbal and now with the Gimbal I can only get about 2.5 miles or about 16 min total flight I know it's only 4 to 5 min difference but 5min x 34 mph = alot more distance lol

Reactions: pat-love and Raybro
I flew my Solo 4 miles out one way and 8 miles round trip or about 20 min flight before the Gimbal and now with the Gimbal I can only get about 2.5 miles or about 16 min total flight I know it's only 4 to 5 min difference but 5min x 34 mph = alot more distance lol

Great Scott! 4 miles? What kind of antenna setup are you using, please!

As far as battery is concerned, I'm also wondering what the average life of the flight battery is before it starts degrading. I've had signal loss and by the time I got RTH, one battery was down to 10%, which is NOT good.

Cheers

Again, how are you getting 4 miles on a Solo!

---

Great Scott! 4 miles? What kind of antenna setup are you using, please!

As far as battery is concerned, I'm also wondering what the average life of the flight battery is before it starts degrading. I've had signal loss and by the time I got RTH, one battery was down to 10%, which is NOT good.

Cheers

Again, how are you getting 4 miles on a Solo!

---

I use a DBS antenna boosted and I'm using the Sunhans 2.4 boosters with a battery pack I can email you pics if you want (to big to post here) I got the antenna at dbsmods.com the boosters from amazon and the battery pack from FPVLR.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Enerjezer
Wow, 4 miles is crazy.

Not really sure what could be done mod-wise to improve battery life. I suppose you could try to disconnect the power going to the GoPro, but I can't imagine it's using THAT much power compared to what the motors are gobbling up. Most of the power us probably being used for the gimbal motors, and the only way to reduce that is to remove the gimbal.

I think it's always going to be impossible to be satisfied when it comes to battery life. Can't imagine a case where someone would say "yea, I'd rather have less". The way I look at it is this - the gimbal might reduce duration by 4-5 minutes, but it lets you capture 12-15 minutes of usable video as opposed to 17-20 minutes of worthless crap.

Reactions: Burkeam
Wow, 4 miles is crazy.

Not really sure what could be done mod-wise to improve battery life. I suppose you could try to disconnect the power going to the GoPro, but I can't imagine it's using THAT much power compared to what the motors are gobbling up. Most of the power us probably being used for the gimbal motors, and the only way to reduce that is to remove the gimbal.

I think it's always going to be impossible to be satisfied when it comes to battery life. Can't imagine a case where someone would say "yea, I'd rather have less". The way I look at it is this - the gimbal might reduce duration by 4-5 minutes, but it lets you capture 12-15 minutes of usable video as opposed to 17-20 minutes of worthless crap.

Spot on. With you on the video quality. I'll deal with buying more batteries before you take my gimbal off.

Cheers

I use a DBS antenna boosted and I'm using the Sunhans 2.4 boosters with a battery pack I can email you pics if you want (to big to post here) I got the antenna at dbsmods.com the boosters from amazon and the battery pack from FPVLR.com

Got your email, thanks. Man, I have a lot to learn... still. Looks like quite the setup. I'm just looking for more signal quality, not to fly out that far... but it would be good at times, like when I'm out on the boat and check on pirates (yes they do exist on open water).

Cheers

Got your email, thanks. Man, I have a lot to learn... still. Looks like quite the setup. I'm just looking for more signal quality, not to fly out that far... but it would be good at times, like when I'm out on the boat and check on pirates (yes they do exist on open water).

Cheers

You should try this easy mod I think it will get you what you are looking for. Thanks

this HTML class. Value is
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You should try this easy mod I think it will get you what you are looking for. Thanks

this HTML class. Value is

Seems this will not play on my system. Can you re-link it. Does it have to do with the hostapd.conf file edit mod?

Cheers

Reactions: Eddie Kennedy

Here you go

Any little extra battery life would help. Why not develop a solar film that attaches to the top of the battery for the SOLO. It will always be facing up.

Reactions: TXFraz
Any little extra battery life would help. Why not develop a solar film that attaches to the top of the battery for the SOLO. It will always be facing up.

Good idea, however did you ever notice the amperage draw while Solo is in flight? Would take a big solar cell to even help out with in-flight charging I'm afraid. And, over an hour to re-charge... on the ground. I'm sure eventually someone or 3DR is going to come out with a larger capacity battery, though weight will always be the issue.

Cheers

Can you email me how.. too.. plsss
Thxz. [email protected]

I'm curious in seeing the pictures of Rueben's set up. Anyone care to resize and post, assuming Rueben is cool with it.

I wonder if 3DR can develop a higher-capacity battery that will fit the Solo or something? In the meantime, I think that having 3-4 batteries is the best solution.

I wonder if 3DR can develop a higher-capacity battery that will fit the Solo or something? In the meantime, I think that having 3-4 batteries is the best solution.

I have 6 batteries my issues is since I added the Gimbal my flight times are down to 12 to 14 min will see if the new update can help the issue if not I'm going to do the battery mod like I did my phantom 2V+ I'm getting 30+ flight times

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo