Antenna connectors clarified

Reaction score
View attachment 8584 I was looking over a selections of antenna upgrades and was astounded that many sellers could not properly identify the SMA connector types on their antennas - and I think I know why. When dealing with pipes or plugin type connectors, the part that screws in or plugs in in generally called "male". Not so with SMA connectors, the part that screws in is "female", the part receiving "male".center.

sma.jpg

The Solo receiver mounts two SMA female jacks that are reverse polarity, RP SMA Female. They are reverse polarity because they have a pin in the center (a traditionally male part). This adds to the confusion, why isn't it called reverse gender rather that reverse polarity? It is what it is. If the male plug has no center pin it is called reverse polarity male - RP SMA Male.
When buying antennas you will find every iteration of the SMA connector types. Be sure they match what you have. If not, you can get a gender or polarity changer adapter on eBay. They come straight, right angle or even 45 degree angle. Have fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Good to know. Thanks man. I wish evrything were a standard. But NOOOOOOOO. That would be too easy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000