Another One Bites the dust???...Yuneec

Reaction score
Looks like another player is having issues. Yuneec is now laying off. I don't see GoPro Karma surviving.

I think Yuneec has a great product in the Typhoon class....

Like Action Cameras, the Drone market is smaller than these companies think it is. After GoPro's success, how many other companies like Polaroid and Sony were trying their hand at action cameras, only to fall by the wayside because it wasn't their core business and they were late to the party? GoPro is on the other end with Karma, they are late to the party and don't have a compelling enough product to differentiate themselves from DJI, despite their dominance in the camera market. The meteoric rise of action cameras made lots of companies think drones would be the same and it hasn't been, especially with the crackdown of the FAA on regulations. Not surprising that companies over-projected sales totals, built up huge staffs and are now having to cut back to size.

I think the drone market itself hasn't really decided what it really wants to be yet. Action cameras have found their niche with the extreme sports crowd, and not much else. Now thankfully they're being used in live sports coverage (helmet cams for refs and umps, etc) so that may be their other niche market. Drones may end up being more marketable in the enterprise industry like where 3DR is headed: site mapping, surveillance, search and rescue, etc. I don't see a widespread, sustainable market for just everyday consumers for drones like I do for those other methods. They are proving to be extremely valuable for those other uses; lifeguards in CA are using them to protect beaches from sharks, search and rescue can send them into an earthquake zone to look for victims, and same for lost hikers in the woods where it's too costly to use helicopters for a sustained time period.

ucsb,

You are wrong about GoPro cameras......their market share is slipping there as well......a lot of big name contenders are giving them a run for their money......Sony, Nikon, Canon, & so forth....

I agree, GoPro needs to refocus on their core competencies..........cameras & stabilization grips.....

and yes, I am anti- DJI.....

Solo may not have all the bells & whistles of the DJI arena but for first generation, one has gotta love open source & their Smart Shot ability.......

Not one other manufacturer has been able to duplicate the Smart Shot capability & the built in algorithms it contains......

It says something for the engineers who have worked this camera from the beginning....

It was a shame to see 3DR not succeed, & also too bad that 3DR & GoPro could not see eye to eye on a joint venture.

I believe they could have been the leader early on.....poor mgmt on both sides of the table.....

Last edited:
I never said they weren't slipping, but they are to action cameras what DJI is to drones right now, by far the biggest player and biggest name. The other companies, even big ones like Sony, can't really compete with the name recognition that GoPro has for action cameras. But in the same manner, GoPro can't compete really with drones despite their well-known name, because they were too late to the game and DJI rocketed to the top despite no brand recognition for anything else really, at least here in the US.

I think GoPro needs to find a niche where their drone can fit and really take advantage of the name recognition with the cameras themselves. They've signed deals with the NHL and other big names, now they need to do the same with their drones, if they are really going to be a player in the drone market. Otherwise, the Karma will slowly go the way Solo has gone in the consumer space.

Well all said and hopefully not done but if I could get an opinion about GoPro and 3DR
do we think that its done between them because like what was said they together would really do well.
and honestly I would like to see both succeed and holding hands doing so seems like a good idea to me...

Well all said and hopefully not done but if I could get an opinion about GoPro and 3DR
do we think that its done between them because like what was said they together would really do well.
and honestly I would like to see both succeed and holding hands doing so seems like a good idea to me...

Well considering 3DR is out of the consumer drone market I assume they are moving away from gopros cuz they aren't the best for the industrial uses they're going for. Whatever connection there is now is all there will ever be for the Solo.

Yeah it seems pretty clear GoPro and 3DR are done. It was a limited partnership and GoPro chose to move forward on their own.

Why doesnt 3dr re employ those engineers laid off from gopro to fix the solo with the mods from the non engineers that arent employex by anyone and release it as the gopro right

Reactions: mwizard
DIFFERENT TAKE --- I have THREE 3DR SOLOS, a MAVIC PRO and now the KARMA BUNDLE.

I think GoPro is not trying to go up against DJI for the drone market but rather trying to bring in their millions of camera users to drones by creating the ultimate aerial mount. They have mounts for EVERYTHING ---so why not an aerial mount?

The Karma SYSTEM operates in a different space in my opinion. It is a video capture system ---the Grip is VERY good and the Karma is pretty darn good too. Its not a SOLO or a MAVIC but it gets the job done and as a 3DR user I appreciate how QUICK I can get in the air with Karma --- took less than two mines from time i put backpack on ground and I packed everything up in less than a minute. The controller is legit!

NOW the 3DR is a better drone and its just so good looking! But I think the Karma has a chance!

JUST MY 2 CENTS

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc