Android Oreo (Android 8)

Reaction score
Just received notification that Android 8 (Oreo) is available for my Samsung S7. I searched but there appear to be no posts about it. Does anyone else have it installed and if so, are there any issues with the 3DR app?

I updated my galaxy s8 to Oreo last week and after that my solo promoted to update the firmware to 2.4.2. The updates did something to my gps as now I cannot use follow me mode at all. Whenever I engage follow me mode the solo just hovers on autopilot with an alert at the bottom of the phone stating “waiting for mobile device gps”. I also tried a galaxy s5 and a galaxy s7 (neither on android oreo) and both had the same issue as my s8 so its possible it was the solo firmware that broke the follow me mode. As a side note I tested an iPhone with iOS 11 and the follow me worked but the video from the GoPro4 didn’t. So not sure at this point. Still waiting for guidance from support. Any help or advice would be appreciated. FYI everything worked flawlessly before those updates.

I updated my galaxy s8 to Oreo last week and after that my solo promoted to update the firmware to 2.4.2. The updates did something to my gps as now I cannot use follow me mode at all. Whenever I engage follow me mode the solo just hovers on autopilot with an alert at the bottom of the phone stating “waiting for mobile device gps”. I also tried a galaxy s5 and a galaxy s7 (neither on android oreo) and both had the same issue as my s8 so its possible it was the solo firmware that broke the follow me mode. As a side note I tested an iPhone with iOS 11 and the follow me worked but the video from the GoPro4 didn’t. So not sure at this point. Still waiting for guidance from support. Any help or advice would be appreciated. FYI everything worked flawlessly before those updates.

Is this a stock Solo? How long have you had it? Ver 2.4.2 of the firmware has been out for the Solo since 2016. I've had it since it came out and have had no issues. Mind you, I don't use follow me so I can't say whether it ever worked or not on mine. The final version of the 3DR app for Android is 2.4.0 and it came out in Sept 2016. There have been no changes or updates to either since then. Did you reinstall the app? Because you do get the prompt to update the firmware when you reinstall it but then when you connect to the Solo, it sees that it's already at 2.4.2 and doesn't do anything further.

If you haven't reinstalled the app, try uninstalling it via the app manager (clear the cache and data first) then reinstalling it. Do not install 3DR Services. If you do have it installed, uninstall it.

There won't be anything forthcoming from 3DR. Solex for Android would be your other option if none of that works. It's a vast improvement over the 3DR app anyway.

As for me, the S7 I'm using is dedicated for use with the Solo only so in light of what you've said here, I think I'll leave it as is for the time being.

It is a stock solo. I've only had it for a couple weeks as I bought it from a buddy of mine who barely ever flew it. I believe he bought it new Christmas of 2016.

I have already uninstalled the app and reinstalled but I havnt tried it via the app manager as well as clearing the cache and data first. I will try that this evening and post back.

Does the solex app have follow me functionality? That is my primary requirement since I film a a lot of wakeboarding from the boat. I am pretty new and this so I havnt had a chance to really evaluate other apps yet.

It is a stock solo. I've only had it for a couple weeks as I bought it from a buddy of mine who barely ever flew it. I believe he bought it new Christmas of 2016.

I have already uninstalled the app and reinstalled but I havnt tried it via the app manager as well as clearing the cache and data first. I will try that this evening and post back.

Does the solex app have follow me functionality? That is my primary requirement since I film a a lot of wakeboarding from the boat. I am pretty new and this so I havnt had a chance to really evaluate other apps yet.

Ok. That explains a few things.

There are some issues with what you want to do with the stock Solo.

It's entirely possible then that it was still on an earlier version of the firmware. I don't use follow me myself so it's never been an issue for me but from what I understand, the problem with 2.4.2 and follow me is that it doesn't work with the GPS on Samsung phones. So even Solex won't solve that problem. Another issue you may not be aware of is that the stock Solo doesn't have a boat mode. You can't launch and land on boats. As long as you're able to launch and land from solid ground, then you'll be ok there.

That said, it is possible to upgrade the Solo hardware so that it has boat mode. There's a thing called the Green Cube which is an updated flight controller. This requires some surgery on the aircraft as well as updating some software.

Solex itself has several follow me modes that work well with compatible devices, just not Samsung devices. So your options there are get a different Android device or alternatively, get SidePilot for your iOS device. Again, like Solex for Android, this third party app is better than the 3DR app and it doesn't have the screen blackout issue. It's not as good as Solex though.

There is apparently a workaround for the blackout issue on the iOS version of the app. After starting recording, close the app and reopen it. I also understand if you record in 1080p, 30 fps, it doesn't black out.

The last option, of course, is forget about using the Solo for that purpose and get a different drone altogether for it. But even then, every drone has it's share of issues.

Bottom line, you have some work and probably more expense ahead of you to do what you want to do.

Ok. That explains a few things.

There are some issues with what you want to do with the stock Solo.

It's entirely possible then that it was still on an earlier version of the firmware. I don't use follow me myself so it's never been an issue for me but from what I understand, the problem with 2.4.2 and follow me is that it doesn't work with the GPS on Samsung phones. So even Solex won't solve that problem. Another issue you may not be aware of is that the stock Solo doesn't have a boat mode. You can't launch and land on boats. As long as you're able to launch and land from solid ground, then you'll be ok there.

That said, it is possible to upgrade the Solo hardware so that it has boat mode. There's a thing called the Green Cube which is an updated flight controller. This requires some surgery on the aircraft as well as updating some software.

Solex itself has several follow me modes that work well with compatible devices, just not Samsung devices. So your options there are get a different Android device or alternatively, get SidePilot for your iOS device. Again, like Solex for Android, this third party app is better than the 3DR app and it doesn't have the screen blackout issue. It's not as good as Solex though.

There is apparently a workaround for the blackout issue on the iOS version of the app. After starting recording, close the app and reopen it. I also understand if you record in 1080p, 30 fps, it doesn't black out.

The last option, of course, is forget about using the Solo for that purpose and get a different drone altogether for it. But even then, every drone has it's share of issues.

Bottom line, you have some work and probably more expense ahead of you to do what you want to do.

Much obliged for the detailed information above. I did not realize drones had an actual boat mode. We have been able to launch from the boat before but it has to be extremely calm or it wont work. Definitely had our fair share of frustration trying to get it to take off from the boat. I will look into green cube like you just mentioned above. As well, I will test out an extra iphone i got with the gopro settings mentioned above and see if that solves the black out issue. Just of out of curiosity, is there a recommended android tablet? I would not mind having a bigger screen to work with.

Much obliged for the detailed information above. I did not realize drones had an actual boat mode. We have been able to launch from the boat before but it has to be extremely calm or it wont work. Definitely had our fair share of frustration trying to get it to take off from the boat. I will look into green cube like you just mentioned above. As well, I will test out an extra iphone i got with the gopro settings mentioned above and see if that solves the black out issue. Just of out of curiosity, is there a recommended android tablet? I would not mind having a bigger screen to work with.

The recommended tablet WAS the Nvidia K1 but they discontinued it awhile ago and they're difficult to find now. You can search this site for Solex, tablet and some hits come up. Also, if you're on Facebook, join this group. The author of Solex, Kelly Schrock, runs the group.

Uninstalled and reinstalled solo app for Android after clearing the cache and data.....still no luck. However I was able to make it work with the iPhone I mentioned and just as you said I was able to get around the black screen issue by restarting the app so thats positive news for once. Gonna go with this setup for now but I’m gonna look pretty seriously into the flight controller upgrade you mentioned. Have you done it yourself? Well worth the extra steps (doesn’t look to terribly difficult from what I saw)? Also thoughts on getting the 3dr gps shield to help with gps acquisition?

Uninstalled and reinstalled solo app for Android after clearing the cache and data.....still no luck. However I was able to make it work with the iPhone I mentioned and just as you said I was able to get around the black screen issue by restarting the app so thats positive news for once. Gonna go with this setup for now but I’m gonna look pretty seriously into the flight controller upgrade you mentioned. Have you done it yourself? Well worth the extra steps (doesn’t look to terribly difficult from what I saw)? Also thoughts on getting the 3dr gps shield to help with gps acquisition?

I haven't done the GC upgrade yet myself. I was planning to do it a little later this year. Another advantage to the GC and updated flight software is that it compensates for the drones tendency to slowly lose altitude as you fly forward. Most drones do this, it's a physics thing. Which is something to keep in mind when setting your follow me altitude.

The shield alone helps but by far the best upgrade is either the mRo or Here GPS modules. The original modules (Rev A or Rev B - both type m7n) only read signals from the US GPS satellite network known as Navstar. It has 32 satellites. The mRo and Here modules (type m8n) read Navstar as well as Glonass (the Russian GPS network) and Galileo (the EU GPS network). This adds an additional 50 or so (and growing) satellites for the GPS module to lock onto. The more satellites, the better the accuracy and the better the error correction redundancy. And as a bonus, you get much faster lock times (ready to fly) than with the stock GPS modules.

I have the 3DR shield and the mRo module. The shield came out before the improved modules came out so I already had it when I got the mRo. But people have reused the original shield and it seems to work fine. The Here GPS is meant to be mounted on a mast in which case you don't need a shield.

With what you want to do, that would be my recommendation, yes. I forgot to ask, you have the gimbal and a Gopro?

I do have a gimbal and a hero 4 black. The updated flight controller would require solex at that point correct? As well I would still need a compatible phone/tablet too?

I do have a gimbal and a hero 4 black. The updated flight controller would require solex at that point correct? As well I would still need a compatible phone/tablet too?

You can use SidePilot on iOS as well from what I understand. But yes, the best combination is with Solex and an Android device from everything I've read.

Hopefully you're technically inclined because this isn't plug and play. You'll be getting your hands dirty. If you decide to go for it, make sure you read and understand all relevant documentation and instructions thoroughly before proceeding. Do research on this site and join relevant Facebook groups. Here are some links:

3DR Solo - ArduCopter Master Upgrade — Copter documentation

OpenSolo/documentation

You can use SidePilot on iOS as well from what I understand. But yes, the best combination is with Solex and an Android device from everything I've read.

Hopefully you're technically inclined because this isn't plug and play. You'll be getting your hands dirty. If you decide to go for it, make sure you read and understand all relevant documentation and instructions thoroughly before proceeding. Do research on this site and join relevant Facebook groups. Here are some links:

3DR Solo - ArduCopter Master Upgrade — Copter documentation

OpenSolo/documentation

I read up on the install procedures for the upgraded flight controller and it looks a little in depth, but not too difficult. I do IT work for a living so I can follow instructions with the best of them! That being said I believe I'm gonna start with the mRo GPS upgrade and see how much of a difference that makes first. Looks pretty straight forward and easy. Only question.......Is that mRo plug and play to the point where I dont need to do any firmware/software updates afterwards? Just physically swap the GPS module and then fire up the stock app and go fly? I have been researching the heck outta this site and I also joined the facebook group like you mentioned. I truly appreciate all your guidance as well!

I read up on the install procedures for the upgraded flight controller and it looks a little in depth, but not too difficult. I do IT work for a living so I can follow instructions with the best of them! That being said I believe I'm gonna start with the mRo GPS upgrade and see how much of a difference that makes first. Looks pretty straight forward and easy. Only question.......Is that mRo plug and play to the point where I dont need to do any firmware/software updates afterwards? Just physically swap the GPS module and then fire up the stock app and go fly? I have been researching the heck outta this site and I also joined the facebook group like you mentioned. I truly appreciate all your guidance as well!

Oh good. If you do IT work and aren't afraid to tinker with hardware then you shouldn't have too much trouble.

The mRo is plug and play. Just the the physical installation. Very easy to install. There's a video on the order page showing how.

mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N / 3DR SOLO Upgrade (New)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

would you recommend the mRo over the Here? I read some threads talking about the Here GPS (since it is external to the drone) eliminating the leg compass, the less issues with magnetic interference.

Also, solex works with the stock solo firmware (2.4.2) correct?

Last edited:
would you recommend the mRo over the Here? I read some threads talking about the Here GPS (since it is external to the drone) eliminating the leg compass, the less issues with magnetic interference.

It's a matter of preference as far as I'm concerned. I've had zero problems with the mRo but I fly in wide open spaces where there are no obstacles to potentially interfere with the GPS signals and my flying needs are pretty basic. Obstacles are going to interfere with any GPS but you probably have less chance of problems in tight spaces with the Here than with the mRo. As for the compass, it doesn't eliminate it, it moves it from the leg to the mast. Here's the installation video for the Here:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My apologies. What I meant to say is the Here doesnt eliminate the compass, rather moves it to above the drone on the mast instead of the leg, thus cutting down on magnetic interference. Do you use solex with open solo? Will solex work with the stock solo firmware 2.4.2?

FYI
I just ordered the mRo as well as the v2 shield. gonna start with that setup and see how it works. I promise the questions above will be my last for now. Truly appreciate your wisdom and guidance. If you're ever in Dallas get at me and I'll buy ya a beer!

J-

Last edited:
My apologies. What I meant to say is the Here doesnt eliminate the compass, rather moves it to above the drone on the mast instead of the leg, thus cutting down on magnetic interference. Do you use solex with open solo? Will solex work with the stock solo firmware 2.4.2?

FYI
I just ordered the mRo as well as the v2 shield. gonna start with that setup and see how it works. I promise the questions above will be my last for now. Truly appreciate your wisdom and guidance. If you're ever in Dallas get at me and I'll buy ya a beer!

J-

Thanks for the invite!

Solex came out before Open Solo or the Green Cube so it was written from the get go to work with the stock Solo so yes, it will work with the OEM 2.4.2.

I'm not using Solex yet. When it first came out it didn't seem to do much more than the 3DR app so I didn't see a need for it but now it's developed into so much more, it's worth getting. Was planning to get it this year but I'm still waiting for spring in my neck of the woods. I'm in Edmonton, Canada and winter is just refusing to leave this year. Temperatures are still hovering in the 5F to 20F range. Normally by now we're in the 50-60F range. The first winter I had the Solo, 2015-2016, I didn't mind flying in the cold and went out often but I've got scads of video of winter scenery now so not as motivated to go out and freeze my arse off anymore. :)

No problem with trying to answer questions, anytime!

Last edited:
Bought solex today. Test fly. Same shit with follow me. Looking like I'm gonna have to switch to open solo. Before I go that route could I reflash solo 2.4.2?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo