alternative gimbal solo

Reaction score
hello, does anybody knows if there is an alternative gimbal even 2 axis that fit on the solo ?
and can be controlled with the radio controller?
i do not need go pro camera controls....

thanks

lots of folks have added storm32 gimbals to solo and have them working with Smart Shots
Not sure how much here, but on the solo mod club there are a few

ok thanks i guess it s not ready to fly i mean probably needs some new wires for the drone

?
No several people are using tarot and good luck buy gimbals. I think there is someone on here thinking about offering a harness

?
No several people are using tarot and good luck buy gimbals. I think there is someone on here thinking about offering a harness
Drone Worship has been working on a gimbal alternative and his modifications can be viewed
on YouTube. He also added links to the offbrand gimbal, HDMI cable and other items. Like all
mods using offbrand gimbal, the cabling can look like a rat's nest. Here's the YouTube link:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Drone Worship has been working on a gimbal alternative and his modifications can be viewed
on YouTube. He also added links to the offbrand gimbal, HDMI cable and other items. Like all
mods using offbrand gimbal, the cabling can look like a rat's nest. Here's the YouTube link:
This has been covered a 100 times here on this forum, he didn't explain anything on how to get smartshots working? Its only a 2d gimbal they used, I'm sure the footage sucks...did they ever follow up on this?...

Last edited:
This has been covered a 100 times here on this forum, he didn't explain anything on how to get smartshots working? Its only a 2d gimbal they used, I'm sure the footage sucks...did they ever follow up on this?...
Drone Worship followed up with this setup about a week ago with a video. There is no gimbal that has a
Hero Port like the 3dr gimbal so forget about smart-shots. I don't know why fellas are worrying about
taking pics (smart-shots) when you have a wealth of images to pick from embedded in the video which
takes just seconds to extract. His video with the gimbal and cheap camera:

I don't know why fellas are worrying about
taking pics (smart-shots)
Well actually you are wrong smart shots are something entirely different from taking pics, From the manual
"Smart Shots Solo’s four different Smart Shots automate flying Solo to make it easy to get stunning aerial video. By default, Cable Cam and Orbit are assigned to the controller’s A and B buttons. Use the app to access Selfie or Follow. Smart Shots are available only with the Solo app. Tip: When using Smart Shots without a Solo Gimbal, Solo cannot ensure that the subject is in the frame at all times. If this is the case, you can improve the chances of keeping the subject in the frame by adjusting the camera mount so the camera is fixed at an appropriate angle".

The goal for some in adding a 3rd party gimbal is to use said smart shots without the need for a (becoming more rare by the minute) 3DR gimbal, I did this myself 2 years ago with a Storm32 based gimbal (60 dollars shipped) I mounted a Sony Actioncam' I had but have yet to get the SmartShots working correctly...I have to manually tilt the gimbal but it does do smartshots...
The only vid I have posted while I was PID tuning.
IMG_20180312_150405.jpg
IMG_20180312_150345.jpg

Last edited:
Well actually you are wrong smart shots are something entirely different from taking pics, From the manual
"Smart Shots Solo’s four different Smart Shots automate flying Solo to make it easy to get stunning aerial video. By default, Cable Cam and Orbit are assigned to the controller’s A and B buttons. Use the app to access Selfie or Follow. Smart Shots are available only with the Solo app. Tip: When using Smart Shots without a Solo Gimbal, Solo cannot ensure that the subject is in the frame at all times. If this is the case, you can improve the chances of keeping the subject in the frame by adjusting the camera mount so the camera is fixed at an appropriate angle".

The goal for some in adding a 3rd party gimbal is to use said smart shots without the need for a (becoming more rare by the minute) 3DR gimbal, I did this myself 2 years ago with a Storm32 based gimbal (60 dollars shipped) I mounted a Sony Actioncam' I had but have yet to get the SmartShots working correctly...I have to manually tilt the gimbal but it does do smartshots...
The only vid I have posted while I was PID tuning.
View attachment 8910
View attachment 8909
The camera and setup is good but the problem with the 3sdr Solo gimbal is it is proprietary to the GoPro cameras with that Hero Port on
the back of the camera and gimbal. The camera you have as far as I am concerned is a far better camera than the GoPro cameras. The
Storm32 gimbal is a good gimbal and there are several reviews where it was used on other quadcopters. The gimbal far better than the
cheap Chinese gimbal that was shown in the video that Drone Worship used. I had big problems with one that was similiar to his with a
X380 and don't trust them now. The GoPro camera functions are using the Hero port on the gimbal and I have tried several different
cameras on the X380 and I think that the GoPro cameras are way overpriced for what they are and usually Sony products are a class
above their competitors. Everyone has a opinion and whatever works for you is the best choice and doesn't hurt to experiment!

Reactions: XevetS
The camera and setup is good but the problem with the 3sdr Solo gimbal is it is proprietary to the GoPro cameras with that Hero Port on
the back of the camera and gimbal. The camera you have as far as I am concerned is a far better camera than the GoPro cameras. The
Storm32 gimbal is a good gimbal and there are several reviews where it was used on other quadcopters. The gimbal far better than the
cheap Chinese gimbal that was shown in the video that Drone Worship used. I had big problems with one that was similiar to his with a
X380 and don't trust them now. The GoPro camera functions are using the Hero port on the gimbal and I have tried several different
cameras on the X380 and I think that the GoPro cameras are way overpriced for what they are and usually Sony products are a class
above their competitors. Everyone has a opinion and whatever works for you is the best choice and doesn't hurt to experiment!

The Sony camera is what I had at the time, I could not justify buying a go-pro for what I was doing i.e. taking crappy videos, but I will tell you that a Go-pro hero 4 black and the 3DR Gimbal setup is the way to go, its seamless..and affords great looking video.

I do have a Green-cubed Solo with the 3DR gimbal setup and I prefer that over the Sony Storm32 setup...

I purchased an original 3DR gimbal from BestBuy for $34.00 way back when, and a refurbished//New Hero4 black for $139.00 shipped directly from GoPro.....Yeah I'm Frugal...
8541.jpg

Last edited:
It's easy to insert a GoPro into the 3dr Solo gimbal but I have a gripe with how to get the video and images
off of the cameras. I have a cheap Git1 camera on a 3dr Solo gimbal and it's quicker and easier to get
the videos off of the camera. I also have a GoPro that I put on the gimbal and I'm not impressed with
the GoPro cameras. I think a GoPro would be hardpressed to beat a Sony!

The Sony camera is what I had at the time, I could not justify buying a go-pro for what I was doing i.e. taking crappy videos, but I will tell you that a Go-pro hero 4 black and the 3DR Gimbal setup is the way to go, its seamless..and affords great looking video.

I do have a Green-cubed Solo with the 3DR gimbal setup and I prefer that over the Sony Storm32 setup...

I purchased an original 3DR gimbal from BestBuy for $34.00 way back when, and a refurbished//New Hero4 black for $139.00 shipped directly from GoPro.....Yeah I'm Frugal...
View attachment 8911
Look at the prices on the 3dr Solo's gimbal! :( I paid, I thought too much, $80.00 new for my 3dr gimbal and they are
ridiculous in price now!

Reactions: XevetS
It's easy to insert a GoPro into the 3dr Solo gimbal but I have a gripe with how to get the video and images
off of the cameras. I have a cheap Git1 camera on a 3dr Solo gimbal and it's quicker and easier to get
the videos off of the camera. I also have a GoPro that I put on the gimbal and I'm not impressed with
the GoPro cameras. I think a GoPro would be hardpressed to beat a Sony!
It does beat the Sony I have as far as Raw video 4K versus 1080P but the Carl Zeiss lens on the Sony is a bit better aside from the massive fish eye effect

It does beat the Sony I have as far as Raw video 4K versus 1080P but the Carl Zeiss lens on the Sony is a bit better aside from the massive fish eye effect
Try a GitUp Git2 camera, at leat you don't have to remove the camera to get the video off of it,
just snap the SD card out and insert it into a usb adapter on the computer. :)

You can snap the SD card out without removing the Camera? If so that is better than constantly removing the GoPro from the gimbal to remove the SD card, because sooner than later something is going to break on the fragile 3DR Gimbal
YEPER! Ok, the catch is you have to shim the camera away from the Hero Port which means you end up with a camera
that is against the GoPro's left camera lock (a camera hold-in lock). Remove that stupid GoPro Green camera holder.
It's only got two screws holding it but replace them on the gimbal. You will need cardboard shims to ship the Git camera
away from that Hero socket. Any kind of strap can be made to hold the camera in place. The Git camera can be tilted
to accept the HDMI connection, do not force it! The biggest trick is setting camera parameters and BALANCING it in
the gimbal since it is lighter than a GoPro. You have to start the camera recording before every flight and it is the last
thing to to before a flight. I have posted Git1 settings which are a pain to set in it's menus but the camera will sense
movement and go into record mode if motion is sensed. The GoPro will auto-start if (One Button) is started at the
beginning of the flight. The GitUp Git1 is real fickle and will shutoff the video even if you have FPV. :( This is a
trial and error situation with the GitUp cameras. The gimbal is a great piece of engineering EXCEPT for being
GoPro proprietary.

Back to what you asked about the SD card, The GitUp cameras Git1 and Git2 have the SD card slot on the left
side of the camera (facing you). Easy access on the 3dr Solo gimbal you don't have to remove the camera!

The Git2 is not a bad camera it uses a Sony Exmor image sensor better for low light, but it does cost as much as a refurbed/new Gopro hero4 black nowadays ....
Well, the way I look at it, it's better than damaging a EXPENSIVE 3dr gimbal from the repeated camera extraction to get data off of
the camera. I am thinking about getting another Git camera even though I have a GoPro.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo