Adjust GoPro Settings During Flight?

Reaction score
I feel like I'm missing something obvious. In a few of the Solo promotional videos, they show settings being changed while the drone is flying. For example, in the first promo I ever saw (link below at about 2:10) they change the FPS mid-flight. Also at 1:47 in the video below, there's a menu opened with a bunch of GoPro settings. How do I access these? I realize this video is old and was largely conceptual when it was made. Are these features not actually available?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Controlling the GoPro during flight = another pre-sale lie.
Sheesh... GoPro changed their firmware. 3DR had to then incoroporate that change (including several firmwares from different cameras) into the software. And it will be here in October....

At this point it is funny to watch this... First complain about gettiing Solo... Then about getting updates.... Then about getting the gimbal... And they all fall down...

And in the end, 3DR has come through with it all..

But never soon enough for some people. Of course if they release it and there is anything wrong with it, the people complaining about speed, are also typically the first to complain about quality..

Too funny...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian [P13] and bjswx
You're right.. it's not soon enough. The rhetoric was/is "The new 3-axis gimbal delivers fluid HD video to your mobile device, offers in-flight recording control and access to GoPro settings—and oh yeah, it powers your GoPro, too."

The issue is not the GoPro changed their firmware and NOW 3DR has to change their software, the issue is, you could NEVER control your GoPro settings from the 3DR software.

At this point in the process the only thing 3DR has come through with is dragging out an initial launch over a 6+ month period with a product that has failed to gain the flying trust in probably more than 50% of its customers.

There have been others who have come through as well, all the third party vendors building and selling mods that actually make the bird stable and more safe to fly. There are a few winners, too bad the majority of the customers aren't them.

I'm not here to argue back and forth about the shortcomings of this product but let's not pretend that you have to be a lucky mutha *(&()^@# to not have been delivered a Solo that hasn't had some sort of problem.

You're right.. it's not soon enough. The rhetoric was/is "The new 3-axis gimbal delivers fluid HD video to your mobile device, offers in-flight recording control and access to GoPro settings—and oh yeah, it powers your GoPro, too."

The issue is not the GoPro changed their firmware and NOW 3DR has to change their software, the issue is, you could NEVER control your GoPro settings from the 3DR software.

At this point in the process the only thing 3DR has come through with is dragging out an initial launch over a 6+ month period with a product that has failed to gain the flying trust in probably more than 50% of its customers.

There have been others who have come through as well, all the third party vendors building and selling mods that actually make the bird stable and more safe to fly. There are a few winners, too bad the majority of the customers aren't them.
I am right... And you are simply wrong.

The ONLY thing in your list that it doesn't currently do is control the GoPro settings (other than record) and that IS because GoPro changed their firmware before 3DR came out with the software.

3DR has come through with EVERY promise. Just not as fast as you would like. And now you have to wait possibly a WHOLE month (gasp) for complete GoPro control.... Heaven forbid you can't change ISO settings in mid flight... ROFL...

And now you speak for all (or at least 50% of) Solo customers? Pfftttt.... Hogwash... People that are unhappy with Solo have beeen able to send them back, so unless they are massochists, my guess is the most are happy with their Solo (though I don't pretend to speak for them as you do).

I get it... You were unhappy at the delay in the gimbal, and now you are pissed that you can't change your GoPro settings mid flight.. All that angst for that. Wow.... Assuming you got the gimbal with the Solo, you still have time. Please... PLEASE... Send yours back. Apparemtly we will both be happier.

Then maybe we can get back to talking about using the tools

Last edited:
I am right... And you are simply wrong. The ONLY thing in your list that it doesn't currently do is control the GoPro settings (other than record) and that IS because GoPro changed their firmware before 3DR came out with the software.

3DR has come through with EVERY promise. Just not as fast as you would like. And now you have to wait a WHOLE month (gasp) for complete GoPro control.... Heaven forbid you can't change ISO settings in mid flight... ROFL...

And now you speak for all (or at least 50% of) Solo customers? Pfftttt.... Hogwash...

I get it... You are unhappy at the delay in the gimbal.... Please... PLEASE... send yours back.

Then may be we can get back to talking about using the tools

Which tools? The tools that the community has created or hacked the code to create or the tools other users called into support to get because the bird has fallen short in more than just a single user or two expectations. Me being one of them.

I guess a month doesn't seem very long after a 4+ month wait for the gimbal itself. You're right, in the grand scheme of things that's an eye blink. As far as changing ISO mid flight, that could be the difference in getting the shot and actually not getting the shot...

Soooooo that tool you were talking about... how useful it is when you have to land, take the gopro out of the gimbal, change a setting and put it back in the gimbal take off again and then hope that you can still get the shot? Not very useful at all.

I am right... And you are simply wrong. The ONLY thing in your list that it doesn't currently do is control the GoPro settings (other than record) and that IS because GoPro changed their firmware before 3DR came out with the software.

3DR has come through with EVERY promise. Just not as fast as you would like. And now you have to wait a WHOLE month (gasp) for complete GoPro control.... Heaven forbid you can't change ISO settings in mid flight... ROFL...

And now you speak for all (or at least 50% of) Solo customers? Pfftttt.... Hogwash... People that are unhappy with Solo have beeen able to send them back, so unless they are massochists, my guess is the most are happy with their Solo (though I don't pretend to speak for them as you do).

I get it... You were unhappy at the delay in the gimbal, and now you are pissed that you can't chnage your GoPro settings mid flight.. All that angst for that. Wow.... Assuming you got the gimbal with the Solo, you still have time. Please... PLEASE... Send yours back. Apparemtly we will both be happier.

Then maybe we can get back to talking about using the tools
No Earl you are wrong, most everybody has been waiting 6 months for everything that was advertised in the launch. So how can you joke about only having to wait a month. Your credibility is in strong question here. You can sit around for a year waiting for everything that was promised if you like but I sent mine back because this is really becoming laughable. I will keep flying my P3 until 3dr gets it's crap together. At least I don't have to wait for everything to trickle out for it to fly as advertised.

Which tools? The tools that the community has created or hacked the code to create or the tools other users called into support to get because the bird has fallen short in more than just a single user or two expectations. Me being one of them.

I guess a month doesn't seem very long after a 4+ month wait for the gimbal itself. You're right, in the grand scheme of things that's an eye blink. As far as changing ISO mid flight, that could be the difference in getting the shot and actually not getting the shot...

Soooooo that tool you were talking about... how useful it is when you have to land, take the gopro out of the gimbal, change a setting and put it back in the gimbal take off again and then hope that you can still get the shot? Not very useful at all.
The "tools" created by the "community" is a very large strength, and one of the reasons many of us bought Solo... The fact you see this as a weakness is very telling.... It appears to me you don't actually want the results.... You want to dictate how they are schieved... The FACT is that Solo is progressing VERY quickly, with numerous products and capabilities being added.

You also forget to mention all the incredible things it can do right NOW. Show me another factory platform that I can program missions, points of interest, and control the gimbal as part of it? How about mapping? 3D scanning? I'll wait...

If you have to change fundamental settings in GoPro mid flight, then I would suggest you learn more about photography. I have used GoPro's since the very first one came out (that I still have) and RARELY change those things in the heat of filming.... Please explain to us the circumstances thate you NEED to change ISO settings mid flight to make the tool useful ... But oh yes.. I forgot. You know all about everything, and speak for everyone... Again... Pfffttttt...

So......You now understand that you will have control in October. If that wait is unacceptable, or your panties are in such a bunch over the gimbal delay that you can't have an adult relationship with 3DR, or you don't have "confidence" in the Solo.... Quit bitching and send it back...

Either way... I don't think I can learn anything more from you. I am out... And like your pal Michael Stevenson, you are ignored. I have no time for whiners that sit in puddles and complain their butt is wet.

Last time... as I won't see any more of your posts. please... Please... PLEASE..... Send it back and figure out a way to be happy instead of incessantly whining about something you could actually fix but apparently don't want to.

Last edited:
I will consider it a tool when the Help thread count is lower than the General Discussion thread count.
Dodge, some of these guys are as bad as the phantom guys, they will go down with the ship before ever admitting there are issues with their 2000.00 copter. 3dr's release has been a total failure so far. People bad mouth dji' s cs(deservedly so) but 3dr did not serve their customers well with this release. I feel suckered by all the hype.

Reactions: Engine24blue
See here's the issue, when you're a better photographer than me - come visit - I'm in Philadelphia, my studio is in Center City. My website is: www.getemg.com I've shot covers, been on TV, blah blah blah.. accolades out the ass but that's neither here nor there. So when you say you have never had to change any settings, its says more about you than it does me.

I didn't buy Solo as a kit drone. If I wanted to build a quad copter I would have gone another route. Many bought for open source, you're right. I'm sure far more purchased for what it's supposed once the seal is cracked on the box.

Your knowledge in the quadcopter community is vast but not impressive to me. It's useful but realtalk, it would be useless in this forum if this machine did what it's supposed to do when it was supposed to do it.

I know your pom poms are black and bright green, I get it. I hope that you learn nothing from me. I'm not here to teach because when I hold classes I charge a fee.

Orbit - 3DR is not the only software that does that
Waypoints - See orbit
Follow me - See orbit
and if I didn't have an I1 - I could do all that at almost half the cost of a Solo with gimbal.

BTW - Pfffttttt.. My daughter makes that sound when she's mad.. That's a girl thing bro..

Last edited by a moderator:
Dodge, some of these guys are as bad as the phantom guys, they will go down with the ship before ever admitting there are issues with their 2000.00 copter. 3dr's release has been a total failure so far. People bad mouth dji' s cs(deservedly so) but 3dr did not serve their customers well with this release. I feel suckered by all the hype.

The gimbal was supposed to make everything right but the gimbal is just as disappointing as the initial release, like really... Don't start up your copter facing south or you'll have problems with the gimbal. Ok the fix is, face north when you boot up. lmaooooo REALLY!!! but why!

No Earl you are wrong, most everybody has been waiting 6 months for everything that was advertised in the launch. So how can you joke about only having to wait a month. Your credibility is in strong question here. You can sit around for a year waiting for everything that was promised if you like but I sent mine back because this is really becoming laughable. I will keep flying my P3 until 3dr gets it's crap together. At least I don't have to wait for everything to trickle out for it to fly as advertised.
BS. 3DR has been very transparent (unlike the other guys) and all you people forget, I own one of almost everything, and have for a very long time.

And my "credibility" isn't in question from those who's opinions I value....

Again Pfffttt... What is "laughable" is watching the same people complain about the "next" thing that complained about the "last" thing that is now history. Soon you will complain about something else... Mark my words.....

I waited for the P3. I waited for the app. I waited MUCH longer than 6 months for smarts shots from DJI, and they were dissapointing. I am now waiting for a video glitch fix.

They advertised also, and promised them all for a LONG time.. So? I had a choice..

The difference is that as of today I can STILL send my Solo's back if I wanted to...
No chance in hell of that with my P3P, and it has spent 8 weeks in China getting a new shell from cracks that showed up after 3 weeks... So spare me...

I have no interest in going on for days about what is "better" or what you "expected". The issue here is exceedingly simple. For Gods sake... Life is short. Put up or....

Send it back if you aren't happy. Buy a P(X) and you are stuck with it no matter what after 72 hours. Do what ever you want, but quit complaining and not doing anything about it. Whining about it won't change it. If you are unhappy, send it back. If you don't want to send it back, then you know what you have. The choice is yours. Make it and move on...

You are hereafter ignored...

Last edited:
BS. 3DR has been very transparent (unlike the other guys) and all you people forget, I own one of almost everything, and have for a very long time.

And my "credibility" isn't an question from thoise whos opinions I value.... Again Pfffttt... What is "laughable" is watching the same people complain about the "next" thing that complained about the "last" thing that is now history.

I waited for the P3. I waited for the app. I waited MUCH longer than 6 months for smarts shots from DJI, and they were dissapointing. I am now waiting for a video glitch fix.

They advertised also, and promised them all for a LONG time.. So? I had a choice..

The difference is that as of today I can STILL send my Solo's back if I wanted to...
No chance in hell of that with my P3P, and it has spent 8 weeks in China getting a new shell from cracks that showed up after 3 weeks... So spare me...

I have no intefrest in going on for days about what is "better" or what you "expected". The issue here is exceedingly simple. For Gods sake... Life is short. Put up or....

Send it back if you aren't happy. Buy a P(X) and you are stuck with it no matter what after 72 hours. Do what ever you want, but quit complaining and not doing anything about it. Whining about it won't change it. If you are unhappy, send it back. If you don't want to send it back, then you know what you have. The choice is yours. Make it and move on...
I wouldn't call it whining just dissatisfaction. A lot of folks spent good money on 3dr's bill of goods they sold. We are getting tired of hearing the solo will be great when we get this or that, everyone just wants to know when when is.

Reactions: Engine24blue
Just fly the thing... or return or sell it.
I swear, watching all the guys complaining about the promises 3DR "broke" reminds me of either a jilted bride or a more than usually nasty episode of The View.

Just fly the thing... or return or sell it.
I swear, watching all the guys complaining about the promises 3DR "broke" reminds me of either a jilted bride or a more than usually nasty episode of The View.
I guess you should change the forum name to-for people with no issues forum. I thought forums were for people that had issues also. Guess not though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc