A question for the infinite wisdom of 3DRPilots

Reaction score
I have 5 aircraft. 2 are registered for recreational use (they share the same number) and 3 are registered commercially with different registration numbers. Can I fly the commercial aircraft under recreational rules?
The FAA requires detailed record keeping for the commercial aircraft and I'm wondering if once one has a 107 license they can still fly as a hobbyist..

I have 5 aircraft. 2 are registered for recreational use (they share the same number) and 3 are registered commercially with different registration numbers. Can I fly the commercial aircraft under recreational rules?
The FAA requires detailed record keeping for the commercial aircraft and I'm wondering if once one has a 107 license they can still fly as a hobbyist..
Dave, I think the record keeping requirement was dropped under 107. Don't know the answer to your question, but here is a great resource for that:
Website and Forums for Part 107 Commercial sUAS (drone) Pilots

I'm in exactly the same boat. I have 5 Solos, and I've registered 3 commercially, but the vast majority of my flying is hobby.
I don't keep good records (the requirement under 107 is somewhat vague), but I know I can download the logs off the aircraft if I need to reconstruct my history.
I do try and keep notes of any maintenance or mods I do, but nothing fancy.

My big concern is flying on the beach at 8:00 A.M.. There may be a few people walking on the beach and if I come within lets say 200 feet of them I have broken a 107 rule but I don't think a recreational rule. People where I live in tourist season seem to call the police anytime they see something unusual. I have a 4 foot catamaran running on the Ardurover code and have had people call the police twice. Once claiming they saw a submarine conning tower in the water.

Reactions: Loki
once you test and apply for a 107 license you have more responsibility and are subject to deeper rules.
that is not to say 107 holders cant fly recreational, but if you do something wrong you have much more to lose than if you are pure hobbyist

once you test and apply for a 107 license you have more responsibility and are subject to deeper rules.
that is not to say 107 holders cant fly recreational, but if you do something wrong you have much more to lose than if you are pure hobbyist
That's kind of how I feel the rules work out. I've been certified to know more than a hobbyist therefore need to be extra careful. But still if flying a commercial registered aircraft with a camera on it will it be assumed I was collecting B-Roll video for further use. I have watched a conference video on sUAS news with an Attorney and various other "experts" and they don't seem to have an answer either.

purposely vague in my opinion.
Not been a problem for me, I tend to be quite anal when it comes to safety. Guess it is the diving background. So I will tend to fly commercial rules all the time. There are some advantages. Knowing your airspace means you can ignore the thousands of yellow and red circles that show up for hobbyist.

As far as logs go, to me that is just a habit to get into. Once you start it will be natural. I tend to take breaks in between batteries anyway. But then again I rarely just fly around. Most of my shots are planned before I leave the ground. I might tool around if I have some extra battery left.
Flying drones is fun, and I dont think It will ever get old, but it really is just a tool in the tool belt. I let drones get me way off my ground game and am just now getting back to the entire video production process.

I'm anal about safety and logs also. Advanced Diver ( like Andrea Doria drysuit stuff). The lack of response on this post would seem to indicate that this is vague and not well understood. The reason why I posted this was to see what type of responses I got. Hope you got rum.

You can fly ALL of your aircraft under hobbyist rules and as you mentioned only your three commercial aircraft under Part 107. You are free to fly as a hobbyist with a Part 107 certificate. The rules are the same for full scale aircraft, the FAA applied uniformity for both manned and unmanned aircraft in that regard.

Take a look at Part 107 section 7 for requirements on maintenance. You may have to prove to the FAA you have met the requirements stated such as pre-flight and the replacement of components. You are being prompted in that section to maintain excellent records for proof to the FAA that you have complied with their requirements. They strongly encourage you to develop a maintenance record keeping program. The FAA can make YOU prove that the items in Chapter 7 are being complied with. The only way to do that is to maintain accurate records. When the FAA uses terms like "strongly encourage", "best practices", "recommended" you better believe they will hold you to the burden of proof that you are following their recommendations.

I have logged all flights, battery usage, maintenance such as oiling bearings, upgraded software, changing propellers, upgrading GPS, inspections, crashes and returning to service. Pre flight inspections and on and on and have kept computer records with dates and times on those aircraft to show in case of a request by the FAA. I do this for ALL flights including recreational. It really is no trouble and takes little time. When dealing with the FAA it is much better to be fully prepared with records to show that you are complying with Part 107.

If you fly an aircraft under hobbyist rules and then decide to add it for commercial work the FAA it is likely they will want proof of work done under hobbyist rules as well.

Reactions: Wetstone
...I have logged all flights, battery usage, maintenance such as oiling bearings, upgraded software, changing propellers, upgrading GPS, inspections, crashes and returning to service. Pre flight inspections and on and on and have kept computer records with dates and times on those aircraft...
Do you use Excel or found a specific program that you like?
I have a paper logbook I purchased, but not that great.
Ideally, I'd like to find an existing excel template that someone has already refined, to run on my tablet, phone and computer.

Do you use Excel or found a specific program that you like?
I have a paper logbook I purchased, but not that great.
Ideally, I'd like to find an existing excel template that someone has already refined, to run on my tablet, phone and computer.
I am working on an access based log book. not finished yet but close. It will track assets, jobs, flights and logs

Reactions: FamilyFlyGuy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo