3DR Solo engine life

Since I record video on nearly ever flight, I actually calculate hours based on the accumulated files I have stored. It's a rough estimate at best, but close enough for my curiosity to know.

So at 2.7K60, Medium field of view it is about 440MB per a minute of video.

The madhacker tool is reading the battery's stored data. That data is based on powered up time rather than actual flight time. So you could interpret the data by estimating flight time, just need to factor the flight time versus ON time. I'd use a .9 multiplier for the read data, again just an estimate. The tool is great for determining battery condition, which is really its purpose.

fwiw, I'm running a T-Motor upgrade on my bird and since they were installed I have an estimated 45 hours of flight time. Based on the file method to calculate hours. That motor is rated for 60 hours before replacing the bearings, I need to replace bearings... Motor vibration is my actual indicator for this maintenance rather than time. Several great threads on the subject of bearings and motor testing, search is your friend.

In the big picture, time is only an expectation. How dirty an environment, improperly balanced motor/prop and/or the initial quality of the motor will define motor (bearing) life in the real world. All bets are off if you crash your bird.

I'm no expert on the subject. Just sharing my experience for how I handle maintenance of the motors. ymmv.

Reactions: trucknutz36582
Since I record video on nearly ever flight, I actually calculate hours based on the accumulated files I have stored. It's a rough estimate at best, but close enough for my curiosity to know.

So at 2.7K60, Medium field of view it is about 440MB per a minute of video.

The madhacker tool is reading the battery's stored data. That data is based on powered up time rather than actual flight time. So you could interpret the data by estimating flight time, just need to factor the flight time versus ON time. I'd use a .9 multiplier for the read data, again just an estimate. The tool is great for determining battery condition, which is really its purpose.

fwiw, I'm running a T-Motor upgrade on my bird and since they were installed I have an estimated 45 hours of flight time. Based on the file method to calculate hours. That motor is rated for 60 hours before replacing the bearings, I need to replace bearings... Motor vibration is my actual indicator for this maintenance rather than time. Several great threads on the subject of bearings and motor testing, search is your friend.

In the big picture, time is only an expectation. How dirty an environment, improperly balanced motor/prop and/or the initial quality of the motor will define motor (bearing) life in the real world. All bets are off if you crash your bird.

I'm no expert on the subject. Just sharing my experience for how I handle maintenance of the motors. ymmv.

Do you think oiling the bearings helps at all? 150 doesn't sound like much but better than 60. I'm sure they all are that way, of course. Since I only fly about 3 times a week (3 hours) that should get me about a year. Probably a year plus two days to get me out of warranty! Hahaha!

Geez, at this point, since the pods cost $50 each, you may as well buy entire Solos and keep them in the box.

I'm mixed on the oiling aspect, just not enough experience to know one way or another. I do lube the bearings, if done properly then yes it should help. Not sure that a prior crash isn't the cause for my current needs. I did swap a motor at that time due to a failing bearing, it was quite an impact.

You may want to buy another bird, I'm not sure of your skill level to suggest otherwise.

I'm mixed on the oiling aspect, just not enough experience to know one way or another. I do lube the bearings, if done properly then yes it should help. Not sure that a prior crash isn't the cause for my current needs. I did swap a motor at that time due to a failing bearing, it was quite an impact.

You may want to buy another bird, I'm not sure of your skill level to suggest otherwise.

Well, I removed all four pods to oil the bearings so I'm sure I could remove them to replace them. As far as buying units to save, that's referring to the cost of motors. At $200 for a refurb, the blades and the battery is good for $120. The controller, $90 so you're basically getting the Solo main unit for free. Having another battery charger isn't bad either.

Well, I removed all four pods to oil the bearings so I'm sure I could remove them to replace them. As far as buying units to save, that's referring to the cost of motors. At $200 for a refurb, the blades and the battery is good for $120. The controller, $90 so you're basically getting the Solo main unit for free. Having another battery charger isn't bad either.

You don't need to remove the motor pods to oil the bearings. With a needle applicator just pop off the led cover. You will have access to the bottom bearing through the arm holes

I read on here somewhere that this motor is a direct replacement so cost isn't that big

Brushless Motor Emax MT2213 935Kv
Based on the original T-Motor thread for the motor swap and the resulting test data. I think most concluded that the 800KV were the most efficient replacement from the variety tested. I guess it depends on what your expectation are for Solo as a platform.

But then we were all about the highest quality for the motor build. Just didn't see enough spec's detailing the Emax to say wow that would work. What's the shaft diameter for example? You get what you pay for...bearing quality as another example.

You don't need to remove the motor pods to oil the bearings. With a needle applicator just pop off the led cover. You will have access to the bottom bearing through the arm holes

Yea thanks now! Hahaha! I was concerned that I would use too much or "misplace" the oil. I realized, after the fact that it wasn't necessary to remove them, however, it was really easy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela