3DR Solo blew off table, damaged motors

Reaction score
I wasn't smart enough to put my 3DR Solo back into its backpack after I flew it, and it appears that it got blown off the table it was sitting on, and fell on one of the motors.

I flew my 3DR Solo at our glider contest at the Bend Aero Modeler field today. After returning from eating lunch, I found the front end of my solo dirty, and one of the motors full of volcanic grit and dirt. We had a couple of strong wind gusts while eating our burgers.

In the past, I've used compressed air to blow such volcanic grit out of RC airplane brushless outrunner motors, so I tried that on my 3DR motor. The motor still is hard to rotate. Thinking I'll have to disassemble the motor. Not sure if it still has grit stuck in it, or if the motor shaft is bent. It appears to have fallen on the bell housing for the damaged motor.

I was showing my wife the difference between attempting to turn the damaged motor and turning a good motor, and found that the motor diagonal from it may have also picked up some grit as well!

Damn! I could not believe that it could be blown off the table! I used leg extensions that I printed from PETG, so they are a bit slippery.

Chris

A 4.5lb bird getting blown off a picnic table ? Did you experience a 60mph down burst or hurricane force winds ? I think it's more likely someone knocked it off the table.

Reactions: OldCoder
It is possible. It happened while I was on the other side of our Clubhouse. In any case, if I had put it back into its backpack, it would not have been damaged.
Chris

Last edited:
I'm taking replacement motors from a $80 3DR Solo Carcass I received today from everydaygrinding. It looks like new!
They have since raised the price to $100
FOR PARTS 3DR Solo Drone Quadcopter SA11A -QRQ458 FREE SHIPPING!! | eBay

I've also got a $58 3DR Solo Carcass coming for parts from dfwonline as well. Just got it today, and the plastic looks great. One motor has marks on it, but three of the motors look and feel great. It has a sticker saying, "powers on".
Genuine 3DR Solo Quadcopter Bare Bones Drone Shell S110A *AS IS*

It appears that people are snapping up parts fast on eBay...
Chris

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc