3DR Solo App Kills Tower 4.0

Reaction score
Warning to all those flying with Tower 4.0.
Although I really love Tower, I've noticed it has compatibility problems when 3DR Solo App is open in background.
When flying a Spline Survey in Tower 4.0, with 3DR Solo App running in background; Tower 4.0 software often crashes and reloads whilst in flight mode. The reloading of Tower whilst flying usually causes no problems, providing Solo is flying in Auto mode (very scary).
Yes, I did finally crash my Solo; but luckily the 3DR Solo is built like a A-10 Warthog. It survived a 20m free-fall onto hard ground.
Whilst hovering at height in Arm mode (awaiting my Auto comand activation), Tower software crashed and reloaded asking me to re-Arm. Well, stupid me, I re-Armed.
In an instant after I re-Armed, my Solo fell like a brick and bounced (with my heart). Although my GoPro and Solo survived (with scar damage), my gimbal looks like a Picasso (twisted and history).
In thinking back at the situation (re-Arming at heigt), I should have given it full throttle as soon as it started falling. I think it would have stabilized before it hit the ground.

Now, I close 3DR Solo App (and double check it is closed) before opening Tower 4.0.

Anyway, I love my Solo and really like the practicality of Tower on Android.
As warning, Tower 4.0 is a very jealous girlfriend.
My advice: Do not let Tower 4.0 know you are using 3DR Solo App, and then all will be smooth flying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Humhead and J R
I would like to retract my claim that 3DR Solo App is the sole cause for crashing of Tower 4.0.
Today I again re-experienced a crash of Tower 4.0 during Auto flight mode, this without the open presence of 3DR Solo App.

What is common with all my Tower 4.0 software crashes is,
the building and flying of different second or third (especially the third) auto mission in succession.
(FYI, my predominant mission is spline survey)

I have never experienced a Tower 4.0 crash on my first building and flying of any automated mission (good news).
The crashing problems with Tower 4.0 only occur when I've finished a mission, and consecutively rebuild a new (different) mission without closing and the reopening of Tower.

Although I still think 3DR Solo App may contribute problems with Tower 4.0,
I am now more convinced that Tower 4.0 crashes are predominantly caused by consecutive building and flying of new (different) missions.
My previous process of building a new (different) mission includes;
a) Select all waypoints
b) Delete all mission waypoints
c) Build new mission
d) Upload waypoints to drone

My advice is to close and reopen Tower 4.0, before building a new (different) mission.
My newly adopted method of building a new (different) mission includes;
a) Select all waypoints
b) Delete all waypoints
c) ---- Close Tower ---
d) Reopen Tower
d) Build new mission
d) Upload waypoints to drone.

Last edited:
Reactions: J R

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics