3DR no longer takes calls...

Reaction score
HI,

A few people pointed out that 3DR no longer takes any calls, when calling the support line. However, I wanted to start a thread so everyone gets to know about this. I wonder what this means?! Did they run out of money? Do they focus more on industrial products? What is going on?

Thank.

p.s. not that there is much to say here, but at least the title will be visible for everyone. : )

Reactions: Nick Nicholas
I've contacted them several times over the last couple days via email, and get the impression it's simply a manpower issue. I have the number for who is working on my problem - it'll be in your email response.
I think it's kind of like saying they no longer accept "walk-ins".

HI,

A few people pointed out that 3DR no longer takes any calls, when calling the support line. However, I wanted to start a thread so everyone gets to know about this. I wonder what this means?! Did they run out of money? Do they focus more on industrial products? What is going on?

Thank.

p.s. not that there is much to say here, but at least the title will be visible for everyone. : )

That sounds like a great idea, we have no idea what is going on, so lets start a thread so everyone can wildly speculate and sew concern when none may be required at all

Reactions: Maddog
I don't know what to think... Why would they suddenly not have enough manpower to take calls?! No money to pay too many people? Too many people calling because there are too many problems? Who knows!?

It is strategically not a good move

if you consider the big 3 DJI, 3DR and Yuneec
then 3DR is the only website that does not have a posted customer support telephone number.

Dont see how you can hold on to that top customer support vendor position long without at least a customer service help desk.

That sounds like a great idea, we have no idea what is going on, so lets start a thread so everyone can wildly speculate and sew concern when none may be required at all
I disagree. Being able to call 3DR for great customer support, is [was] one of the things that "used" to set them apart from other manufacturers out there. That now being not the case anymore, for whatever reason, IS reason enough for many to start speculating. What else are you supposed to do, until some official word is out to why they stop taking calls.

To ME this is concerning. Might not be to you. It might also not concern you that the Solo sells for $799 on Amazon, and the gimbal for $199?! Sure looks like a fire sale to ME. Again, this is just my opinion. Maybe 3DR is just having a sale? Or maybe they are trying to jump the sinking ship? I don't know that. But just because I don't know, doesn't mean I cannot have a opinion about it. Maybe 3DR is doing the same, DJI is doing?! Selling "old" stuff for cheap, because something new is coming out (P4).

Anyhow, I am overall wondering why they do not take anymore calls and I post about it. Deal with it.

Reactions: Jammey Dodger
It is strategically not a good move

if you consider the big 3 DJI, 3DR and Yuneec
then 3DR is the only website that does not have a posted customer support telephone number.

Dont see how you can hold on to that top customer support vendor position long without at least a customer service help desk.
You beat me to it...

For this product I think the 24/7 support was a bit much, but I too am at least a bit concerned when yet again they do something without providing us with any info or statement. Not that they should have to let us know every time they make a move, but a simple email like those we all get consistently anyway explaining a bit would go a long way. The lack of info has been my biggest issue since before launch, they have to know people are going to speculate when suddenly they drop phone service all together. Maybe they just want folks to use the in app ticket process more since you have to send logs anyway, but even a simple tweet or post would be great when service was such a big solo selling point.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
yeah the communication portion of it is certainly lacking.

But I guess we will see if a dedicated speculation thread actually solves anything
Hasn't so far

So deal with it LOL

It might also not concern you that the Solo sells for $799 on Amazon, and the gimbal for $199?! Sure looks like a fire sale to ME. Again, this is just my opinion. Maybe 3DR is just having a sale? Or maybe they are trying to jump the sinking ship? I don't know that. But just because I don't know, doesn't mean I cannot have a opinion about it. Maybe 3DR is doing the same, DJI is doing?! Selling "old" stuff for cheap, because something new is coming out (P4).

OK, you're concerned, and that's your right. Chicken Little was concerned about the sky falling too.
3DR had been planning the price drop since just after the holidays. I was aware of it in January. In fact, I've shared some mid-january emails with other members of this forum, which indicated that the price drop was coming. I don't work for 3DR, but due to what I do, was given information early on. Were it a "sky is falling" scenario, they wouldn't have begun sharing the forthcoming discount with their dealers nearly two months ago.
The traditional end of the Chinese New Year Celebration is today, and you'll likely see some announcements from 3DR competitors, so 3DR is likely in the position of prepping for those announcements by getting their network up to speed on the competition and comp pricing. That's how retail works, or is supposed to.

I too, wish they'd let us know that the phone support was ending, but frankly, I didn't do well with phone support in the first place. Email has worked best for me overall, and they do call when they need more information, and will still likely call. I took a call from 3DR on Saturday, so they're there. I don't see it as cause for concern but like you, I wouldn't mind more info.

Reactions: Jubalr and pyrate
That is really all I can fault them for actually. Who knows they may have a killer email and ticketing system that end game results is better than phone support
But they should press release it.

I have an ongoing repair with them right now. This is what I was told an hour or so ago via email from tech support.

Unfortunately, we don't have a phone system to provide tech support, as right now we only can provide support by email.

If the amber light is not flashing it means that the SD card inside is not responding, so we need to unplug the battery from the controller while is on and then perform a factory reset.

Please perform the factory reset and let us know your findings.

We just got the notification from headquarters, that we are not longer going to provide support by phone, but we are going to try our best to provide you with the best customer service by email.

Once again, we do apologize for this inconvenience and we hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

no matter what the reason, this is a tedious way to repair a bird, or anything for that matter.

Also, the battery "sale" this past weekend could be an indicator.

Just my $0.02

They may just want to be able to track what gets done by the support team, instead of having to record each phone call,"for quality assurance"

It wouldn't surprise me if they did away with it cause people weren't getting the service 3dr expected. I'm betting at least part of the time since launch service was through a telemarketing call center and they are simply reading replies. The brief talk I had with them seemed a bit scripted, so overall it may benefit us to use the email and ticket system if it's manned by 3dr employees. It would be too expensive to have 3dr techs on the phone for support long term, be smaller than dji and still remain competitive price wise. After all that's probably why it's included right there in app, this also could help them to offset these price cuts not having to pay for around the clock phone agents.

I too would love a post or confirmation on what's up, but I wouldn't be to worried about it. I'd have to say it's surely not them being out of money with the backers they had for this release.

To tell the truth, whoever answers the phones must really know what they're doing, i.e. troubleshooting, calibration, the whole nine yards. Ideally it's a tech and pilot.
Well, wouldn't these guys be better used actually working on Solos than yammering into a telephone? With an email, consults can be made with whoever is necessary. Real-time, it's not so practical.

I've contacted them several times over the last couple days via email, and get the impression it's simply a manpower issue. I have the number for who is working on my problem - it'll be in your email response.
I think it's kind of like saying they no longer accept "walk-ins".

Marich,

The number that is on my email is just the 2 basic numbers.

3DR Technical Support
Supporting you 24/7
(858)225-1414
(855) 982-2898

Same for yours?

yeah the communication portion of it is certainly lacking.

But I guess we will see if a dedicated speculation thread actually solves anything
Hasn't so far

So deal with it LOL
I have never seen a Obituary actually bringing someone back to live, so I guess there is no need to INFORM people of ones death?! Deal with that!

EDIT: You clearly miss the point of why I started a dedicated thread about 3DR not taking calls anymore. So let me clarify it for you. Read the last thing I wrote in my original post. I clearly state, that there is nothing really to talk about. Get it now?

OK, you're concerned, and that's your right. Chicken Little was concerned about the sky falling too.
3DR had been planning the price drop since just after the holidays. I was aware of it in January. In fact, I've shared some mid-january emails with other members of this forum, which indicated that the price drop was coming. I don't work for 3DR, but due to what I do, was given information early on. Were it a "sky is falling" scenario, they wouldn't have begun sharing the forthcoming discount with their dealers nearly two months ago.
The traditional end of the Chinese New Year Celebration is today, and you'll likely see some announcements from 3DR competitors, so 3DR is likely in the position of prepping for those announcements by getting their network up to speed on the competition and comp pricing. That's how retail works, or is supposed to.

I too, wish they'd let us know that the phone support was ending, but frankly, I didn't do well with phone support in the first place. Email has worked best for me overall, and they do call when they need more information, and will still likely call. I took a call from 3DR on Saturday, so they're there. I don't see it as cause for concern but like you, I wouldn't mind more info.

I should have worded it differently. I am not concerned. Actually, I am ZERO concerned. Why would I? I have no business with 3DR. They can do whatever they want, and I will not be affected by it in any way. Anyhow, what I should have said was:

"I called 3DR to talk to my favorite tech guy, who I became somewhat friends with. To my surprise, I got a message saying that 3DR is no longer taking calls. I figured that it is not a bad idea to let others know about this. Just as a FYI."

That said, I am still curious to find out what the reason for them is to not take calls anymore.

Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela