3DR High Performance Flight

Reaction score
Incredible example of the 3DR Solo holding altitude in FLY:MANUAL mode:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have the same problem in fly mode. Just refuses to keep altitude for some reason.

Posting this one again? Not enough traction on the other thread?

Posting this one again? Not enough traction on the other thread?
:) I think the other thread's video got hosed, a few people asked to see it so I just reposted. Can remove if needed I'm not trying to clutter the site.

I posted test results I did on this a few months ago. But basically, if you are flying in 'Manual' mode over about 28mph, the Solo will lose altitude. It boils down to the fact that in manual mode throttle is controlling altitude, not RPMs. The max that it can add is greatly throttled down in the parameters section in how much can be added in Manual. If you want to do speed runs, you should be in Acro or Stabilize mode. In those modes the throttle controls RPMs like has been done for years with MRs. You are not relying on the computer to add power and you control it manually. Also, if you want to run a little faster and stay in Fly or Manual mode, be sure you have the slider all the way to 'Rabbit' as this will increase the available altitude correction. Below are some examples, but if you aren't getting it to hold altitude at least to 30mph with slider at Rabbit, you could have a barometer issue.

Reactions: Maddog
Incredible example of the 3DR Solo holding altitude in FLY:MANUAL mode:

Looks to me like an example of someone intentionally flying their Solo into a tree. That was a 9 to 10 second run straight into that tree. Literally straight into it.

10 seconds is a LONG time to not be paying any attention at all, which makes it difficult to see this as anything but intentional.

Looks to me like an example of someone intentionally flying their Solo into a tree. That was a 9 to 10 second run straight into that tree. Literally straight into it.

10 seconds is a LONG time to not be paying any attention at all, which makes it difficult to see this as anything but intentional.
That was my thought as well U. N. But thought I would address the altitude question once again.

I posted test results I did on this a few months ago. But basically, if you are flying in 'Manual' mode over about 28mph, the Solo will lose altitude. It boils down to the fact that in manual mode throttle is controlling altitude, not RPMs. The max that it can add is greatly throttled down in the parameters section in how much can be added in Manual. If you want to do speed runs, you should be in Acro or Stabilize mode. In those modes the throttle controls RPMs like has been done for years with MRs. You are not relying on the computer to add power and you control it manually. Also, if you want to run a little faster and stay in Fly or Manual mode, be sure you have the slider all the way to 'Rabbit' as this will increase the available altitude correction. Below are some examples, but if you aren't getting it to hold altitude at least to 30mph with slider at Rabbit, you could have a barometer issue.

Thanks- good stuff.

It is actually a combination. It dropped 39 feet in 1.5 seconds to be accurate. I was dumb enough to believe that it held altitude so I turned to look at my dog and that was the end of it. I don't have quite enough money to do it intentionally. Although I did get married so maybe I do hate money.

Reactions: Maddog and Jubalr
What the video you posted sped up? It looks awfully fast and the props sound much higher than I've heard of mine and other Solos. Did you post the logs? The video sure looks like it was descending throughout the flight across that field.

I hear 'ya on taking your attention off the Solo momentarily. The "smarter" these things get, the easier it is to feel comfortable taking your mind off them at times. Although even that's not foolproof, I try not to take my attention off unless it's stationary - in loiter/position hold or pause/brake. If it's in motion, my eyes are either on the Solo itself or watching the video feed.

I want to have the data of speed. How did u get this kind of data

I want to have the data of speed. How did u get this kind of data
I used mission planner to playback the logs.

I used mission planner to playback the logs.

how to get logs?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M