3dR gimbal yaw behaviour

Reaction score
A few days ago I purchased a Solo gimbal from Ebay. After testing it I found that it is stabilizing as expected on pitch and roll axis, while on the yaw axis it is behaving different compared to my previous Storm32 3D gimbal. The Solo gimbal seems more, or absolutely "stiff" on the yaw axis. If I make sudden yaw movements to the Solo, it follows it rapidly, as a 2D gimbal, while the Storm32 allows a little angular delay and smoothness for such movements. I know that the gimbal yaw must be locked to the copter yaw, but at the Solo it is too stiff IMHO. On the other hand the axis itself seems to work, at least if I power it up with an angular offset (not facing exactly forward) after2-3 minutes it gets straight forward. I was able to measure it's current consumption and it seems if I am "forcing" it in one direction or other on the yaw axis, the current consumption rises and it tries to resist my forcing, so it seems OK.
Can anyone comment on this "stiff" behavior? Is this normal or should I worry? My Solo right now needs some hacking/tweaking and it is not flyable yet, so I'm unable to test the gimbal in flight.

Not sure if it is normal, but the gimbal motors have two modes. When ON and not armed the gimbal is in low torque. When armed the gimbal motors go to high torque. Simulate a flight with props off and you'll see what is going on.

I did a test with a "lazy susan" and Solo to determine the yaw compensation of the gimbal. At the time I was trying to compare the effect of the gimbal at 3" out from the center of rotation versus gimbal being at the center of rotation. The gimbal does lag and then creeps in once yaw has stopped.

Good luck on your tweaking....

Thanks for the reply!
Well, if the Solo gimbal behaves differently regarding its arming status, it explains a lot :). I tried it only unarmed :). My Storm32 wasn't used via MAVlink and without it the yaw stabilization has no clue about the arming status.
Right now I'm fighting with the Flight Controller to get analog readouts about battery voltage and current - I purchased my Solos without the smart battery ;) so it's a bit tricky to get it armed, although since then I managed to arm it via Mission Planner (despite the 0 voltage readout), so I'll give a try for the gimbal!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo