3DR Contract

I read this last night, really gives me a warm fuzzy - that the organization we hope will support is in the future is alive and heathy with this stimulus.

Solo lives on. We have a great little machine in our hands and the big guys are starting to reconize it.

I posted this to my FB page to my NonDroneHead friends with a side note that I was convinced I chose the right machine but considering the Gooberments track record I am now second guessing my decision to fly a Solo. ;-) All kidding aside It has to make us all (OK, the overwhelming majority) feel good that we are part of the 3DR Family. I would hate to venture a guess on how much it cost the taxpayers to determine that Solo Rules! I'm sure it will be put to good use in future marketing campaigns. Heck all those $599 deals may dry up as well.

While I have your undivided attention, yeah right......To those of you that with some scratches on your props and have played with the 3DR Solo Simulator App for Droid. I realize that the app provides a no frills basic flying simulation as it was written to do. Can any of you comment on how authentic the app is to the actual flying experience? I got my RMA bird back today. I wasn't able to spin the props on the first one. I seemed to have picked up the simulated flying quickly before I had to return the bird and controller and wonder if I can expect the same when I finally get to push the Fly button? Going to Update, put my Gimbal back on, and upgrade the shield whislt I wait for the Batts to charge up. Wish me luck!

I haven't used it but most say it's a very accurate simulator for the normal FLY mode. Except no wind, etc.

what is this all about? why the u.s goverment choose 3dr for what purposes?

:)

Black helicopters is a term which became popular in the United States militia movement and associated political groups in the 1990s as a symbol and warning sign of an alleged conspiratorialmilitary takeoverof the United States, though it has also been associated with men in black and similar conspiracies.[1] Rumors circulated that, for instance, the United Nations patrolled the US with unmarked black helicopters, or that federal agents used black helicopters to enforce wildlife laws. The concept may arise from the fact that many government agencies and corporations do use helicopters, and that some of these helicopters are dark-colored or black.​

The article at the top of this post gives examples of what they're going to be used for.

Than
I haven't used it but most say it's a very accurate simulator for the normal FLY mode. Except no wind, etc.
Thanx PdxSteve! I'm actually having fun with it. Glad to know I'm not wasting my time. Flew into the torch which did a pretty dramatic crash simulation.

when I was lurking all the drone forums before buying my first (solo) I started reading how many research drones used the pixhawk flight controller and ardupilot.
I figured those folks were a bit more knowledgeable than all the fanboy noise.
naza has made up some ground but PH2 is about as solid a flight controller as there is period

If a hammer costs $50.00.......these must have costs thousands! Still, gives those DJI guys a kick in the teeth!

That's an interesting article. It looks like DJI got a piece of the pie too. I couldn't help but notice they didn't buy the Inspire.

That amount quoted was for an IDIQ award (Indefinite Delivery, Indefinite Quantity) with that maximum contract $$ amount and likely includes services. The Gov't could ultimately use somewhere between none, and all of the contract amount.

Somewhere out on FedBizOpps.gov is the award and details I'm sure.

In an IDIQ contract, the "up too" number can be misleading as if they like your stuff not only the limit but the $ figure can and will be changed to suit the needs. I worked on such a contract with what was supposed to be a "hard cap" of 5000 units. 10 years later we shipped unit # 25000.
The USArmy really liked the hardware and jumped over every hoop in the book to extend/modify the contract.

The truth is this in the whole scheme of things is a fairly small success, though I'm hoping 3DR do get more successes in the enterprise space, enough that maybe they'll also keep the consumer Solo ticking over.

The Solo does a lot well and I can't see the appeal of switching to another platform so I'm hoping 3DR at least consider looking at the semi-pro space which is in reach of consumers.

Having a foot in the door with government sales and contracts is literally make or break. Even if this is a small beans contract, they are not in an incredibly advantageous position to win more and more contracts from federal, state, and local agencies. It's also a bragging right for corporate clients. So a small win with the government is a lot bigger deal than a small win with a corporate client.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo