333 exemption question

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of drafting my exemption request and one thing has been nagging at me based on reviewing approved exemptions: is everyone warning their local FSDO 3 days before each flight? does that mean you won't be able to accept a job on short notice? do you call them or submit a written request each time? are there certain FSDOs out there that will give you a blanket agreement?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of drafting my exemption request and one thing has been nagging at me based on reviewing approved exemptions: is everyone warning their local FSDO 3 days before each flight? does that mean you won't be able to accept a job on short notice? do you call them or submit a written request each time? are there certain FSDOs out there that will give you a blanket agreement?

Thanks
No it doesn't. Now my time is limited so I'm shooting from the hip and might be missing a fact or two. It is in my opinion the issuance of a 333 exemption get's you a blanket COA(Certificate of Operation or Authorization) for everything that you are allowed to do. It's when you are altering into the airspace then you must get a COA for that incident through the FSDO. ie:Flying near an airport or higher then 400'. To confirm the fact please post what you are reading(a sentence or two before and after).

Hope this helps

Burke

did a bit more reading, the points below seem to be in all exemptions, including the ones that are NOT cinematography related, so I guess it's doesn't apply to everyone, not sure why closed-set filming would require it and this certainly would seem very constraining to our television friends because of the 3-day notification rule...

If this exemption permits operations for the purpose of closed-set motion picture and television filming and production, the following additional conditions and limitations apply.

30. The operator must have a motion picture and television operations manual (MPTOM) as documented in this grant of exemption.
31. At least 3 days before aerial filming, the operator of the UAS affected by this exemption must submit a written Plan of Activities to the local Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) with jurisdiction over the area of proposed filming. The 3-day notification may be waived with the concurrence of the FSDO. The plan of activities must include at least the following:
a. Dates and times for all flights;
b. Name and phone number of the operator for the UAS aerial filming conducted under this grant of exemption;
c. Name and phone number of the person responsible for the on-scene operation of the UAS;
d. Make, model, and serial or N−Number of UAS to be used;
e. Name and certificate number of UAS PICs involved in the aerial filming;
f. A statement that the operator has obtained permission from property owners and/or local officials to conduct the filming production event; the list of those who gave permission must be made available to the inspector upon request;
g. Signature of exemption holder or representative; and h. A description of the flight activity, including maps or diagrams of any area, city, town, county, and/or state over which filming will be conducted and the altitudes essential to accomplish the operation.

31. Flight operations may be conducted closer than 500 feet from participating persons consenting to be involved and necessary for the filming production, as specified in the exemption holder’s MPTOM.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela