“Flyaway” prevention.

Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Can someone please give me some clarification on this flyaway issue.

From what I’ve read on the forum this is a reality and folks have them.

So the solution is to select A on the controller which is pre-programmed into the controller = my controller is already setup this way.
Therefor when if fly and I always fly in FLY MODE not solo shot selection mode if I lose GPS signal I will always be in control of the solo drone
But when I fly in say orbit mode this flyaway can happen I should then select A. on the controller. isn’t that the same as pause or select FLY to get control back again?

Or am I missing something? not that I would miss a “flyaway” if you get my “drift “

Can someone please give me some clarification on this flyaway issue.

From what I’ve read on the forum this is a reality and folks have them.

So the solution is to select A on the controller which is pre-programmed into the controller = my controller is already setup this way.
Therefor when if fly and I always fly in FLY MODE not solo shot selection mode if I lose GPS signal I will always be in control of the solo drone
But when I fly in say orbit mode this flyaway can happen I should then select A. on the controller. isn’t that the same as pause or select FLY to get control back again?

Or am I missing something? not that I would miss a “flyaway” if you get my “drift “
You want to set either A or B to Fly:Manual so you can take control if you need to for *any* reason. The Pause button won't do anything if you've lost GPS lock (the most common cause of "flyaways") so you need a preset button to take full positional manual control. And it isn't automatically setup to have Fly:Manual on A, you have to set it as such in the Solo App.

Reactions: quincyc
Bruce is correct but I wanted to clarify things a bit.
IMHO the most common reason for flyaway is GPS error such as poor signal or multi-path. If the copter thinks the quality of the signal is good but it really isn't the reported position and desired position may not match, so the copter heads in the direction where it thinks it should be. To the operator it looks like to copter just took off on its own. If the copter knows the GPS signal isn't good it will report this to the controller and automatically switch to "manual mode" and hold altitude but drift with the wind. Being able to select manual mode with a button will save the copter only if you can then fly it until GPS is restored, so practice this in an open area.
As you can see having a robust GPS is critical. Solo is actually much better than many of its competitors because it has high standards for what it thinks is a good GPS lock. Think of this next time you have to wait an additional 30 seconds for your GPS before a flight.

I want to clarify some terminology too. A true "fly away" is when the operator is unable to control the aircraft due to control or autopilot malfunction and the aircraft flies off in whatever direction with no ability to bring it back. For example, if the controller malfunctions the sticks stop responding.

Operator error, operator inattentiveness, and operator neglect are not fly aways. Drifting with the wind into trees because you don't know what you're doing is not a fly away. Floating away into oblivion because you lost sight or couldn't handle it is not a fly away. If your lose your GPS signal and you're incapable / unprepared to control the aircraft in manual mode, that is not a fly away. The aircraft did exactly what it was supposed to do and there was no malfunction preventing you from controlling it.

What Andrew described i would also not consider a fly away. You are perfectly in control of the aircraft. Flying in a location or conditions that inhibit good GPS, making it susceptible to wild drifting and multipath is operator error. The aircraft is doing what it's told, and you have full control over it. If it crashes, it's because the operator was inattentive and unprepared for the situation they flew themselves into.

I want to clarify some terminology too. A true "fly away" is when the operator is unable to control the aircraft due to control or autopilot malfunction and the aircraft flies off in whatever direction with no ability to bring it back. For example, if the controller malfunctions the sticks stop responding.

Operator error, operator inattentiveness, and operator neglect are not fly aways. Drifting with the wind into trees because you don't know what you're doing is not a fly away. Floating away into oblivion because you lost sight or couldn't handle it is not a fly away. If your lose your GPS signal and you're incapable / unprepared to control the aircraft in manual mode, that is not a fly away. The aircraft did exactly what it was supposed to do and there was no malfunction preventing you from controlling it.

What Andrew described i would also not consider a fly away. You are perfectly in control of the aircraft. Flying in a location or conditions that inhibit good GPS, making it susceptible to wild drifting and multipath is operator error. The aircraft is doing what it's told, and you have full control over it. If it crashes, it's because the operator was inattentive and unprepared for the situation they flew themselves into.
What he said....100%

Just say I'm flying 300 feet with wind gust around 10 mph. If the Solo girl tells me to fly manual, what should I have my speed set at even before I take off?

Just say I'm flying 300 feet with wind gust around 10 mph. If the Solo girl tells me to fly manual, what should I have my speed set at even before I take off?
Huh?? The speed slider has nothing to do with losing GPS. If you're asking what you should set the speed slider for to perform safely in 10mph wind gusts, which has nothing at all to do with GPS, basically anything. The Solo can handle 10mph wind guys just fine.

Huh?? The speed slider has nothing to do with losing GPS. If you're asking what you should set the speed slider for to perform safely in 10mph wind gusts, which has nothing at all to do with GPS, basically anything. The Solo can handle 10mph wind guys just fine.

The Solo can handle 10mph wind on any of the speed slider settings in manual is good to know. It's been a windy summer, thanks..

I agree with P2P. During a true flyaway the operator has no ability to control behavior of the aircraft. These are very rare with Solo.
Many people think if the copter does something unexpected and then crashes into a tree/building it was a flyaway. Not so. Usually an inexperienced pilot does not make correct control inputs in a timely manner, hits something and calls it a flyaway.

Goes back to my "you are ready to fly questions"
If you can't answer these, what people call a fly away is not accurate

What happens when solo loses gps position?
What happens when solo loses controller connection?
What happens when battery failsafe triggers?
What is the responsibility of the pilot when the above happen?
What are all the options for return to me/home and how are they set/used?
What are the characteristics of solos flight modes, especially fly, manual and guided

Goes back to my "you are ready to fly questions"
If you can't answer these, what people call a fly away is not accurate

What happens when solo loses gps position?
What happens when solo loses controller connection?
What happens when battery failsafe triggers?
What is the responsibility of the pilot when the above happen?
What are all the options for return to me/home and how are they set/used?
What are the characteristics of solos flight modes, especially fly, manual and guided

Trick question! "What are all the options for return to me/home and how are they set/used?"

Return to me doesn't work. Did I pass? LOL!

Trick question! "What are all the options for return to me/home and how are they set/used?"

It only doesn't work on the Android 3DR app. It works fine on the iOS 3DR app and the Solex App.

Return to me is great on IOS, and supposedly works on Solex but I have not gotten it to work yet

Sounds like it was an extra-tricky question then. Good work Professor! :)

Thanks folks the insightful direction and replies. make me feel a lot better because you can prepare and manage them. O boy I have to go and study up on all the questions pyrate posted I couldn’t answer any acceptably. Thanks for not watering things down and being straight forward much appreciated. Only way to learn.

All the answers are in the user manual that is online
Either Direct answers, or enough information to help you answer the what do you do ones

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo