Yet another Solo crash... but was it worth it?

Reaction score
Third crash for me –second time it wasn't me. I had some footage that I really needed to capture, so even though the weather sucked (mostly cloudy, VERY windy), I went out to and captured anyway. Not as much usable stuff as I would have liked, but I got good footage (not necessarily good shots) and with my Solo on Follow-Me/Orbit I was lucky enough to get the shot before all pause/exit shot/ A+B button manual override failed. Enjoy the destruction at least.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I had the remote/iPad Mini in the passenger seat (you can actually see me fiddle with it near the beginning), so after the final carnage was over I was slowing the car and actually saw the impact coming. Solo didn't respond to any commands to pause the orbit/follow (which I had done long before the impending impact), exit the shot (expecting it to just hover like it should). The thing that got me worried was after a few presses of A+B buttons, I just kept seeing a crash in the future. I saw the pole, I looked out the rear view and saw Solo bounce off the ground.

GoPro was ejected, is banged up but mostly fine (my ND4 filter broke). The gimble powers up, seems to be reporting present, but doesn't respond to any movement commands (although it is moving to stabilize). The body cracked in a few places, the GPS cover popped off and the battery got scuffed up when it was ejected. I only broke one prop, which I found surprising. Solo powers up, gets completely ready to fly and all of the motors spin up. I think it may actually be okay... I just need to figure out repairing the body or replacing it, and checking to see if maybe the Gimble just needs to be plugged in fully and seated properly. It definitely could have been worse.

Reactions: jpstudio02
I believe his goal was to get those tires down to slicks.....set of new tires will cost more than that Gopro and Solo.....great burnout thou.....

That's sort of a baited question isn't it? What's the point of sport fishing, tagging as art, body piercings, stunt flying, base jumping, Flappy Bird, WWE, or pretty much anything that some people, not all, are interested in. Asking in such a way is unlikely to provide you with a response that would convince you. I enjoy it. It's a fun display of semi-controlled power, and is gratifying (to me)to the caveman, destructive nature of being human.

As for the tires... and the why/what I'm trying to accomplish specifically: I bought cheap tires to fool around on (2 different pair); one pair was pretty good for the money, and were well worn from use. The others were crap, and I never really liked them. Those are the ones in the melting session on display. I'm about 1200 feet from the tire store in that video after just having paid for the new ones. This is my enjoyable way of using up every cent I can of those tires.

And we live in the same city. sort of
I used to be part of the DFWLX crew way back when they were family friendly

We were in ATX, and just recently came back. Haven't gotten involved in any groups yet, but I need to. I was actually in your neck of the woods today (kid's band concert), but my car is usually sticking close to Forney.

Reactions: pyrate
DFWLX was a fine club years ago.
It sort of turned into a party crowd. Car quality dropped off and you sure couldn't bring your kids anymore
so we split.
Now UAVs eat all my money

With my crash to flight record, that may be true for me too. Mavic Pro calling my name.

We left a car group (that I co-founded locally) for the exact same reasons.

Reactions: jpstudio02
Sweet vid. The engine sound actually gave me wood! My 1st solo just fell out of the sky due to some controller error. Not covered as it was an ebay purchase. Scored another solo and thought I'd just use the 1st one for parts. Then one night I thought, "Hmmmm". So I scored some JB Weld and went to town. The bird looks like like something from a walking dead show, but that's the one I use to test out the advanced features. Man, "sport' mode and 'drift' are awesome!! Haven't tried Acro yet, but I'm gettin' there. Anyway, JB Weld, my brother....it works.

Reactions: Version3
We need object avoidance! That may have helped in this case. I loved the burnout!

Sweet vid. The engine sound actually gave me wood! My 1st solo just fell out of the sky due to some controller error. Not covered as it was an ebay purchase. Scored another solo and thought I'd just use the 1st one for parts. Then one night I thought, "Hmmmm". So I scored some JB Weld and went to town. The bird looks like like something from a walking dead show, but that's the one I use to test out the advanced features. Man, "sport' mode and 'drift' are awesome!! Haven't tried Acro yet, but I'm gettin' there. Anyway, JB Weld, my brother....it works.

Thanks! I few dumb@$$es have tried telling me that the car sounds bad (in the video), but I get compliments and smiles everywhere I take it. The Solo actually did pretty well after this crash. I have clamped and superglued the minor cracks closed on the body, bought a new set of props (on the way here today) and it looks like the only big damage was the gimbal. It was shoved pretty hard into the intervals of the vehicle, and broke the power connector off of it's board. I have a local electronics guy taking a crack at soldering the connector back on to see if I can get all parts back to life. Otherwise, I'll be in the market for a cheap gimbal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela