Yaay, the Solo has improved . . .

Reaction score
Well, so I got a Solo—plus an extra battery—in early June from Best Buy. I had a flyaway. The controller would lose signal at 700 feet. It was difficult to attain enough satellites to fly. So . . . I put the Solo on a shelf, decided a gimbal would be a waste of money, and instead flew a white thing that was also new.

But, I continued to periodically check in here to see if there was any news, and also because I have a tiny crush on Rich McCabe. Oh, and I received a third battery, for free from China, in the meantime. I suppose they tracked me down from credit card info obtained from Best Buy.

Anyhow, for whatever reason, I updated the Solo earlier today—I was two behind—to see what would happen. When the updates were complete, pressing “A” did nothing, and I had to mess with the battery to get things going again. Also, the controller still used metric rather than imperial, but that’s okay because that’s what I was taught in school. But . . . I began to think, “Ugghh, not much progress.”

Slam-cut to me at my regular flying field. The Solo picked up thirteen satellites pretty quickly, and up she went. I flew 150-feet high, did a few figure eights, and everything worked perfectly. I got a little braver. I flew the Solo away from myself, reached 1,000 feet with four bars, kept going, and still had four bars at 1,500 feet. There are still trust issues between me and the Solo, so I brought it closer and swarped around some more without incident.

The takeaway? 3DR is absolutely making the Solo better. And more reliable. I know they’ve taken heat, much of it deserved, but they didn’t give up, and I’m starting to wonder if maybe Solo will turn out okay after all.

I couldn’t get a video feed, and the GoPro LCD read “busy.” I don’t know what’s up with that, and didn’t want to waste a half hour of my life trying to figure it out. Maybe one HAS to use a gimbal with the new update, but I’ll worry about that some other time.

That would be all. There’s no punch line or exciting end of the story, but that’s the Solo, from my point of view.

I'm glad to hear that you have a little bit of time for your Solo..lol
But I'm seeng that it is getting better...don't give up on her yet :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sarah B
But, I continued to periodically check in here to see if there was any news, and also because I have a tiny crush on Rich McCabe. .

LOL. You made my day Sarah ! Month actually.

Glad the Solo is coming around for you. Your GPS problems have been crazy.

Well, so I got a Solo—plus an extra battery—in early June from Best Buy. I had a flyaway. The controller would lose signal at 700 feet. It was difficult to attain enough satellites to fly. So . . . I put the Solo on a shelf, decided a gimbal would be a waste of money, and instead flew a white thing that was also new.

But, I continued to periodically check in here to see if there was any news, and also because I have a tiny crush on Rich McCabe. Oh, and I received a third battery, for free from China, in the meantime. I suppose they tracked me down from credit card info obtained from Best Buy.

Anyhow, for whatever reason, I updated the Solo earlier today—I was two behind—to see what would happen. When the updates were complete, pressing “A” did nothing, and I had to mess with the battery to get things going again. Also, the controller still used metric rather than imperial, but that’s okay because that’s what I was taught in school. But . . . I began to think, “Ugghh, not much progress.”

Slam-cut to me at my regular flying field. The Solo picked up thirteen satellites pretty quickly, and up she went. I flew 150-feet high, did a few figure eights, and everything worked perfectly. I got a little braver. I flew the Solo away from myself, reached 1,000 feet with four bars, kept going, and still had four bars at 1,500 feet. There are still trust issues between me and the Solo, so I brought it closer and swarped around some more without incident.

The takeaway? 3DR is absolutely making the Solo better. And more reliable. I know they’ve taken heat, much of it deserved, but they didn’t give up, and I’m starting to wonder if maybe Solo will turn out okay after all.

I couldn’t get a video feed, and the GoPro LCD read “busy.” I don’t know what’s up with that, and didn’t want to waste a half hour of my life trying to figure it out. Maybe one HAS to use a gimbal with the new update, but I’ll worry about that some other time.

That would be all. There’s no punch line or exciting end of the story, but that’s the Solo, from my point of view.
Awesome! Sounds like you had fun!

Last edited:
Sarah, if I had it to do over again I would get the white one instead. I've done nothing but read about how to fix Solo problems. Lots of wasted time and no real aerial photography to show for it, because I'm always grounded by yet another problem. (Bug)

Solo is still not ready for prime time- maybe in another 6-12 months. Maybe never. A great concept but way too buggy.

Sarah, if I had it to do over again I would get the white one instead. I've done nothing but read about how to fix Solo problems. Lots of wasted time and no real aerial photography to show for it, because I'm always grounded by yet another problem. (Bug)

Solo is still not ready for prime time- maybe in another 6-12 months. Maybe never. A great concept but way too buggy.
The white one i assume is DJI, not to start anything but DJI is no better at all it comes with its own set of issues, some i have experienced first hand.

Me too phan issue wise, they all still come with their bag of issues at this point, some more, some less, some warranty, and some none. Please don't let this be another vs thread, even with my issues with both companies offerings I'm still glad I own both. We're getting too spoiled folks were flying little robots around filming things from the air, by today's standards normal yes but can't expect them to be flawless just yet.

Right now my solo is having issues as well, but it's been great to this point and is still very useable just not perfect, my phantoms still got issues as well and yet is still useable too. Just be happy with em or return or sell em to somebody who will be. At least our issues are being worked out or remedied for free in most cases. It could be a hell of a lot worse.

Glad to hear things are finally looking up for ya or your finally looking up at solo in the air at least. Hope things keep going well and your solo hopefully can meet or beat what you've come to expect from your white one. This whole ordeals starting to sound like a race issue lol. Good luck and fly safe be it 3dr, dji, yuneec, or whatever else.

Complete rubbish. Sounds like someone that can't stand others enjoying a great product.

Sounds like you are generalizing for everyone based on your personal experience. 1000s are flying and getting great video everyday without issue, like myself.

@Sarah B .. Glad you are still around! I wondered how you were doing and if we would see you again. Glad you gave it another shot. Take Care..

There is always someone who has to turn it into a black vs white thread...

Sounds like you are generalizing for everyone based on your personal experience. 1000s are flying and getting great video everyday without issue, like myself.

@Sarah B .. Glad you are still around! I wondered how you were doing and if we would see you again. Glad you gave it another shot. Take Care..
See- all I had to do was create some controversy and it pulled you all together to fight for Solo!:cool:

I love my Solo- it's going to blow DJI out of the water!! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea