WTF happened to this drone? It just fell...

I'm also still vet curious about your thoughts on the EKF failure and RC disconnect. Did you get those errors to appear looking at the logs again?

Would I be able to get more information about this crash if I loaded the dataflash logs? I'm still trying to discern if it was indeed a dropped signal or if it was merely an errant thumb dropping to 0...

I can only find telemetry logs in your upload, meaning limited data to work with (i.e., no dataflash bin file). To really figure out what was going on you'll need the dataflash logs.

The EKF error probably doesn't mean anything. It likely is only the sensors telling you your drone is flipping upside down.

P2P's diagnosis of throttle is the only thing I can glean from the telemetry logs. Signal is showing 96% at the time the Solo went haywire, and didn't drop until loss of signal reported a few seconds later. Watching the video I suspect the signal loss occurred around the time it was about to hit the ground. The dataflash logs will tell you what your controller was telling the drone (commands), and how the drone responded. Plus sensor readings, power state, GPS, pretty much everything going on inside the drone.

I have nothing to add except to ask a question. Do all "high end" consumer drones have this log capability? I have to admit that I'm impressed with all of the information available.

Most flight controllers have some form of logging feature, but I haven't seen any as good as the Pixhawk, which is on the Solo. 3D Robotics was really a world leader in drone technology, just not so much on the business end.

Most flight controllers have some form of logging feature, but I haven't seen any as good as the Pixhawk, which is on the Solo. 3D Robotics was really a world leader in drone technology, just not so much on the business end.

Thank you! Very impressive for sure.

Can anyone explain this, I have my theories, but I would like some more opinions.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I'm just now reading this and I don't know if you have found the problem or not. It looked like a complete power failure. Also, during flight, I thought I heard the motors intermittently stop a few times and it looked like it may have lost some altitude during those times? I didn't see any birds or indication that anything had hit it.

Just an FYI, I have had my Solo drone for about 6 months and it has worked flawlessly. About a week ago, I took it out for a flight and it worked fine. the battery got low so I landed and installed a fresh one. When I tried turning everything on, I had no connection.

As I was trying to diagnose the problem, I removed the battery cover on the controller and found that there was a piece of foam in there to prevent the battery from shifting one way or the other. I removed the foam and found that the battery plug was only inserted about half way into the connector. Because the battery can't move, I have to assume that it wasn't installed correctly from the factory. I plugged it in and it worked perfectly. Just a thought

I'm just now reading this and I don't know if you have found the problem or not. It looked like a complete power failure. Also, during flight, I thought I heard the motors intermittently stop a few times and it looked like it may have lost some altitude during those times? I didn't see any birds or indication that anything had hit it.

Just an FYI, I have had my Solo drone for about 6 months and it has worked flawlessly. About a week ago, I took it out for a flight and it worked fine. the battery got low so I landed and installed a fresh one. When I tried turning everything on, I had no connection.

As I was trying to diagnose the problem, I removed the battery cover on the controller and found that there was a piece of foam in there to prevent the battery from shifting one way or the other. I removed the foam and found that the battery plug was only inserted about half way into the connector. Because the battery can't move, I have to assume that it wasn't installed correctly from the factory. I plugged it in and it worked perfectly. Just a thought

QC was definitely 3DR's downfall! I'm to the point that when I get my GPS shields, I'm going to tear down both of my units and check for loose connections, bad solders, etc. If nothing else, it will make me feel better while flying them this summer.

I would also say hawk or eagle the way it was hit from the side, to me that would be the most logical reason after viewing the video.

If you SSH into it and fetch the dataflash logs, one can see acceleration and figure out if there was a collision/something sudden midair. - the sound is hard to ignore.

I JUST wanted to comment that scenery and territory rocks in the video. Aside from the diagnosing here, I personally would love to see a Solo vid of a skier/boarder tearing up that gap. I heli-skied the Rubys 2 years ago, one of my favorite adventures that my wife allowed me to do, and it was all I could think about while watching (the good part of) that video.
Where is that taken? And share a vid of a skier please, if you can (or direct me where I could check it out).
...ok, back to the smart guys figuring out the hard stuff. :)

Reactions: sputnik378
I JUST wanted to comment that scenery and territory rocks in the video. Aside from the diagnosing here, I personally would love to see a Solo vid of a skier/boarder tearing up that gap. I heli-skied the Rubys 2 years ago, one of my favorite adventures that my wife allowed me to do, and it was all I could think about while watching (the good part of) that video.
Where is that taken? And share a vid of a skier please, if you can (or direct me where I could check it out).

That is my back yard... 2400 vertical feet of it anyway. The video shared below is some real early flights when I first got my Solo. Since then I have been getting much better, and smoother (right up until this crash apparently) but I haven't been posting any videos. It is near Telluride, CO. That's probably all I will say on the interwebs, hope you understand. I do appreciate the sentiments, and would appreciate a follow or 2 on the youtubes cause that might motivate me to do a little more editing. I will soon have a lot of river and mountain bike footage to contribute as well as the summer is now upon us.

In regards to the hard stuff. I have been reading up on extracting my dataflash logs and I haven't yet determined the simplest way to do it. Is there an app that I can put on my Shield to simplify this process and keep it all on my dedicated dronie tablet? Cause that would be breasts!! (Politically Correct)

Or do I need to use Linux and or Putty?
P.S. I'm real good at walkthroughs..

Reactions: NightStorm
Guys, there is zero evidence of a bird strike or any kind of power problem. If you're simply watching the video and making those assumptions, you are making incorrect assumption. If you actually look at the logs, you will see no such thing takes place.

Reactions: Jubalr
I'm trying to upload a video but it will not let me. How long should the video should be? Because I see other people upload longer video's.

That is my back yard... 2400 vertical feet of it anyway. The video shared below is some real early flights when I first got my Solo. Since then I have been getting much better, and smoother (right up until this crash apparently) but I haven't been posting any videos. It is near Telluride, CO. That's probably all I will say on the interwebs, hope you understand.
Beautiful area to fly! Watching this got me wondering:
As you crest the mountain, ever get surprised by what the wind is doing at the top?

Reactions: sputnik378
That is my back yard... 2400 vertical feet of it anyway. The video shared below is some real early flights when I first got my Solo. Since then I have been getting much better, and smoother (right up until this crash apparently) but I haven't been posting any videos. It is near Telluride, CO. That's probably all I will say on the interwebs, hope you understand. I do appreciate the sentiments, and would appreciate a follow or 2 on the youtubes cause that might motivate me to do a little more editing. I will soon have a lot of river and mountain bike footage to contribute as well as the summer is now upon us.

In regards to the hard stuff. I have been reading up on extracting my dataflash logs and I haven't yet determined the simplest way to do it. Is there an app that I can put on my Shield to simplify this process and keep it all on my dedicated dronie tablet? Cause that would be breasts!! (Politically Correct)

Or do I need to use Linux and or Putty?
P.S. I'm real good at walkthroughs..
Awesome. Once you get your pans smooth/slow, you will have some amazing video with some beautiful back yard scenery. I would hate to go retrieve that on some of those flights, should it have a problem!
Love the dogs. I had a guy where I was flying let his two Labs chase it back and forth and he sat down, said it was the most fun he's had exercising them. Nice finish to the video.

Beautiful area to fly! Watching this got me wondering:
As you crest the mountain, ever get surprised by what the wind is doing at the top?
Lets just say the Solo is an incredible little machine. The gimbal however...

Awesome. Once you get your pans smooth/slow, you will have some amazing video with some beautiful back yard scenery. I would hate to go retrieve that on some of those flights, should it have a problem!
Love the dogs. I had a guy where I was flying let his two Labs chase it back and forth and he sat down, said it was the most fun he's had exercising them. Nice finish to the video.

Dogs love drones... Love to kill them that is. My first drone the dogs attempted to murder, and it had the scars to prove it.

I had all the speeds turned to max in those early flights and it's kinda tough to get a smooth pan at full rabbit rotation. I have since dialed it in much more, and I have a few really great shots so far this winter from cruising around out there. As far as retrieval, it takes me about 1:45 door to door to do a lap to the peak, so it's not that bad really especially for a very quality 2400' untracked ski.

You didn't look at the logs or read any other posts did you? I'm sorry but that is completely incorrect on all counts. I could go in detail about why each point of this is incorrect later if you'd like. But suffice to say none of that is a factor in this incident or how this equipment works.
this is why I take your advice over others. you ACTUALLY know what you are saying. seeing birds lol whats next ufo strikes lol

Dogs love drones... Love to kill them that is. My first drone the dogs attempted to murder, and it had the scars to prove it.

I had all the speeds turned to max in those early flights and it's kinda tough to get a smooth pan at full rabbit rotation. I have since dialed it in much more, and I have a few really great shots so far this winter from cruising around out there. As far as retrieval, it takes me about 1:45 door to door to do a lap to the peak, so it's not that bad really especially for a very quality 2400' untracked ski.
my question is what have you done for the added range? I did the mikrotik r11e up grade (haven't had the op to try it yet) but it seems to really kick it in the butt we'll see.

From the sound that happened half way down. (The screech) Then again just before the crash. A motor was going out.

my question is what have you done for the added range? I did the mikrotik r11e up grade (haven't had the op to try it yet) but it seems to really kick it in the butt we'll see.

Just that and the ALFAs... It's pretty good as long as you can keep LOS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fatbeatle