WTF happened to this drone? It just fell...

First and foremost... Thank you gentlemen for your knowledge and assessment it is most helpful! I tried to tinker with MP today and I certainly couldn't ascertain pretty much any of that info from what I was seeing. I suppose I need to spend some quality time with MP to really grasp its full potential.

10,000' x 45mph x -100' is kinda just how I roll around here. I have been practicing so that I can do this flight backwards, and film a skier/rider shrapling the gnar. If you like that I've got a pretty crazy flight from when a storm cell rolled in real quick on my Solo at the top of a neighboring mountain and I had to escape the snowstorm ASAP with rapidly deteriorating visibility (I was basically just flying by feel for a few seconds until I could see it again. I guess what I'm saying is that I have to use Stabilize mode on these flights just for the descent rate otherwise my subject would turn into an ant really quickly.

With that in mind, is there any way to change the parameters of Stabilize mode so that I cannot totally cut power to 0 with the throttle stick? That would be awesome and is further explained by the next paragraph.

A couple things about this flight: At the bottom of the "smooth reduction" when the drone lost power, and dropped video signal and I could no longer control it... I never actually bottomed out the throttle. I have done some drop and catch tests with that feature in stabilize mode before, so I understand exactly what you are saying. I guess it's possible that I went just a little bit further down on the throttle than I had been the entire descent, however it felt pretty smooth on my end, and it seemed to simply drop signal on my controller and then I pinned it hoping to regain altitude and signal. Whether this was because it went behind the trees and had no signal or another failure I cannot say. Also what about the intermittent loud squealing noise? It sounds like a failing motor to me, but maybe the logs say something different.

Would it be possible to elaborate a little bit more for me on the EKF failure?

As a final FYI we recovered the drone within 30 minutes of the crash. It was upside down in the snow with just the feet sticking out. I dried it and flew it again today on a bike ride. I was going to do a sweet little follow of my roommate through a fun section, but I could not get any video feed from the go pro. Initially the gimbal was blinking yellow light but totally dead. So I pulled the gimbal and reset the molex and Micro HDMI then the gimbal came back but no video. So tomorrow I'll pull the tray and check the other end of the HDMI, I'm hoping that simply came loose from the crash and all will be well. The drone flew fine though and it seems fully functional besides that.

The whistling sound is just the wind against the GoPro's crappy microphone. Check the GoPro video output on a TV with a micro HDMI cable to see if it's still working.

I'll look again this evening to see if I can get the RC connection loss to show up in the log. Idk why it showed up for Jubal but not for me. Whether the connection loss occurred subsequent to the drop behind the trees, or it came first and led to the drop, I think the manner of operation will be a significant contributing factor. Bombing down the mountainside at 40+ mph, pitched over to the limit (35 degrees), burning off altitude at 100 feet per second, in air that is really thin to begin with, recovering from any abnormality is going to be... problematic.

The whistling sound is just the wind against the GoPro's crappy microphone. Check the GoPro video output on a TV with a micro HDMI cable to see if it's still working.

I'll look again this evening to see if I can get the RC connection loss to show up in the log. Idk why it showed up for Jubal but not for me. Whether the connection loss occurred subsequent to the drop behind the trees, or it came first and led to the drop, I think the manner of operation will be a significant contributing factor. Bombing down the mountainside at 40+ mph, pitched over to the limit (35 degrees), burning off altitude at 100 feet per second, in air that is really thin to begin with, recovering from any abnormality is going to be... problematic.

I see the NO RC when I play the logs. I was also looking at the guages and it says that my top speed was not anywhere near 40... Maybe I am reading them incorrectly though as I said I am just in the tinkering stages of MP.

I pulled the tray and reseated the hdmi, which seemed to fix the video feed. So back to my question of whether or not I can change the parameters of Stabilize mode so that I cannot fully bottom out the throttle, but still achieve the fastest descent rate possible.

Yep I saw a bird. This is what happens when you enter a bird property they get really mad when they see another bird flying close by especially if they have babies birds. That's crazy to see this you don't get to see this evry day. By the way I love the place it's gorgeous.

Yep I saw a bird. This is what happens when you enter a bird property they get really mad when they see another bird flying close by especially if they have babies birds. That's crazy to see this you don't get to see this evry day. By the way I love the place it's gorgeous.
I don't think you saw a bird.

I did a thorough frame by frame, and I can confirm... No byrd! Followed the shadow through the dive and tumble and nada.

Maybe you are right. I think it was a motor pud lost power for a few seconds this happens when the drone is not calibration. I'm sorry I just semes like it got hit by a bird. But I spent lot time seeing the video and I seems like one motor lost power for a few seconds.

A drone needs to be calibration at least one time every month or two. And I know that the 3dr solo is very powerful I fly my drone on very high speed wind a rain and it runs like a real helicopter.

A drone needs to be calibration at least one time every month or two. And I know that the 3dr solo is very powerful I fly my drone on very high speed wind a rain and it runs like a real helicopter.

It was calibrated 2 days before this flight.
Definitely powerful for a stock bird. I can't wait to see what I can do with T-motors!

I think it was a motor pud lost power for a few seconds this happens when the drone is not calibration. I'm sorry I just semes like it got hit by a bird. But I spent lot time seeing the video and I seems like one motor lost power for a few seconds. A drone needs to be calibration at least one time every month or two.
You didn't look at the logs or read any other posts did you? I'm sorry but that is completely incorrect on all counts. I could go in detail about why each point of this is incorrect later if you'd like. But suffice to say none of that is a factor in this incident or how this equipment works.

Reactions: bigDavid
Paddles. I'm guessing that I cannot do anything about the parameters of stabilization mode?

I'm also still vet curious about your thoughts on the EKF failure and RC disconnect. Did you get those errors to appear looking at the logs again?

Would I be able to get more information about this crash if I loaded the dataflash logs? I'm still trying to discern if it was indeed a dropped signal or if it was merely an errant thumb dropping to 0...

Last edited:
Yes it happen to me to I freak out when this happens because it also will not stay stable it will move around. Until I found out that I had a bad motor pud. I will make a video of how you can find out if you have a motor on your drone that is bad. It's very easy to find out talk to you later.

Yes it happen to me to I freak out when this happens because it also will not stay stable it will move around. Until I found out that I had a bad motor pud. I will make a video of how you can find out if you have a motor on your drone that is bad. It's very easy to find out talk to you later.
No, this is not a motor pod problem. You are completely misunderstanding or ignoring everything that has been said, the entire log, and the video. I'm sorry but you're incorrect.

Paddles. I'm guessing that I cannot do anything about the parameters of stabilization mode?

I'm also still vet curious about your thoughts on the EKF failure and RC disconnect. Did you get those errors to appear looking at the logs again?

Would I be able to get more information about this crash if I loaded the dataflash logs? I'm still trying to discern if it was indeed a dropped signal or if it was merely an errant thumb dropping to 0...

The best you can do it change MOT_SPIN_ARMED to something higher. Default is 75, which represents 7.5%. Try something like 150, which represents 15%. That would give it more thrust at idle. I haven't had a chance to look again. Was rebuilding mine last night.

Reactions: sputnik378
The best you can do it change MOT_SPIN_ARMED to something higher. Default is 75, which represents 7.5%. Try something like 150, which represents 15%. That would give it more thrust at idle. I haven't had a chance to look again. Was rebuilding mine last night.

Rebuilding from destruction, or upgrading? Cause one is a whole lot cooler than the other...

So if I were to change that to 150 that would mean that when I take off with fly that before I apply any throttle the motors would be spinning at 15% correct? Not that that would be a problem I don't think just clarifying. What % is hover?

Yes, that's correct. Hover is generally around 40-50% depending on battery voltage.

Throwing another hypothesis in the mix:

What if it wasn't a hardware malfunction? Under these flight conditions, going down a hill (up- or downdraft on the hill) with a high descend rate, it is not unlikely the aircraft got into its own downwash, i.e. it went into vortex ring state. Subsequently the aircraft started to tumble. The EKF couldn't keep up with this and spit out errors.

Low throttle input might have been necessary to achieve the descend rate. Or it was just after loss of control due to the fright. I didn't have a chance to look at the logs to check the exact timing of events.

I have no proof for this. This is pure speculation.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea