Worlds cheapest gimbal on a Solo

Reaction score
While waiting, I put a $45 2 axis gimbal on my Solo. Here is the results of the first test flight of the gimbal and home brew mount:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nice.. Which product are you using? Is that the BGC 2 Axis?

Very smooth but why the low resolution. That was no post stabilization?

While waiting, I put a $45 2 axis gimbal on my Solo. Here is the results of the first test flight of the gimbal and home brew mount:

Nice.

Very smooth but why the low resolution. That was no post stabilization?
The rez is a product of 3 factors:
1) This was my second GoPro, but I literally just took it out of the box and strapped it on, so it was shot at the default settings (1080) 'cause I couldn't reach the button on the side to make the changes. :) Since it was just a test flight to see how the gimbal was going to work out, I didn't sweat it too much.
2) Because the video was upside down (see why I didn't change the settings above), I shoved it into Premiere Pro to invert it. I didn't bother to check my default settings, so Premiere down rez'd it to 720. Again, I can do better if I take the time.
3) To eliminate the vibration jitter, I just uploaded it to YouTube and let YouTube's auto stabilize to the stabilization. I suspect that also added to the poor rez.

I'll take more care with the next video now that everything seems to be working as a system.

Reactions: Dan Prather
Nice, please share some more details.
This shot shows the test fitting of my gimbal mount. The Solo gimbal cable is shown coming through the cutout as well as the HDMI cable. For the actual flight, I put the Solo gimbal cable back into the shell since it is not used.
Gimbal2.jpg

The white mounting plate is just some styrene. Come to think of it, I may be getting some of the jitter from it flexing.

I just taped the gimbal battery to Solo.

The HDMI cable was too stiff to use with this setup, so I flew without it and was flying "blind"

Reactions: DevRogue
This shot shows the test fitting of my gimbal mount. The Solo gimbal cable is shown coming through the cutout as well as the HDMI cable. For the actual flight, I put the Solo gimbal cable back into the shell since it is not used.
View attachment 511

The white mounting plate is just some styrene. Come to think of it, I may be getting some of the jitter from it flexing.

I just taped the gimbal battery to Solo.

The HDMI cable was too stiff to use with this setup, so I flew without it and was flying "blind"

Thanks for the link. Power source?

The rez is a product of 3 factors:
1) This was my second GoPro, but I literally just took it out of the box and strapped it on, so it was shot at the default settings (1080) 'cause I couldn't reach the button on the side to make the changes. :) Since it was just a test flight to see how the gimbal was going to work out, I didn't sweat it too much.
2) Because the video was upside down (see why I didn't change the settings above), I shoved it into Premiere Pro to invert it. I didn't bother to check my default settings, so Premiere down rez'd it to 720. Again, I can do better if I take the time.
3) To eliminate the vibration jitter, I just uploaded it to YouTube and let YouTube's auto stabilize to the stabilization. I suspect that also added to the poor rez.

I'll take more care with the next video now that everything seems to be working as a system.

Makes sense. Thanks for doing all this. Bang up job. Best I have seen so far !

Here is the biggest part - the Solo is flying on a motor pod that I rebuilt. :) 3 originals + one that had burned up that I subsequently replaced most of the ESC circuitry. It clearly performs every bit as well as the original.

The battery at the time was one I had sitting around here for an old RC helicopter that was a bit undervoltage. The new 12V battery arrived today direct from Taiwan. $12:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231401226589

Here is the biggest part - the Solo is flying on a motor pod that I rebuilt. :) 3 originals + one that had burned up that I subsequently replaced most of the ESC circuitry. It clearly performs every bit as well as the original.

The battery at the time was one I had sitting around here for an old RC helicopter that was a bit undervoltage. The new 12V battery arrived today direct from Taiwan. $12:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231401226589

Do you know what was causing the video roll?

sure. Shutter roll. Problematic with digital cameras including GoPro. Should be eliminated when I put the 4x ND filter on it.

due to requests...I dug out the original 1080 video and took a look. You can see one of Solo's legs in the full size video which gives a great reference for the gimbal correction. The biggest correction occurs around 2:30 if you want to skip ahead.

I have posted it full size instead of down rez'd to 720.

Reactions: Harvestresponse

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc