Wifi upgrade on the fence

Reaction score
I have never had distance complaints. Mine routinely hits 2000 feet on stock antenna, and for my purposes I never require more distance than that.
Over the years I have read about the wifi card upgrades, seen a few people ruin solos doing it and some reported no real gains.

But from everything I have read I'm considering upgrading the controller card only
waste of time?

mRobotics agrees with that idea......controller card only........Mikrotik R11e-2Hnd

I have never had distance complaints. Mine routinely hits 2000 feet on stock antenna, and for my purposes I never require more distance than that.
Over the years I have read about the wifi card upgrades, seen a few people ruin solos doing it and some reported no real gains.

But from everything I have read I'm considering upgrading the controller card only
waste of time?
Pyrate, You must have "Tinkering" in your blood!
You have more projects going to then most here. LOL

I have upgraded the WiFi cards over a year ago & not never a problem.
As to any increase in distance, not to much.
I live WIFI city, & i used to get about 1400 Ft. before upgrade of WiFi cards & X2 Alpha antenna's, since then, in the same area, consistently get 2400 to 2800.
Over the bay or ocean I got over a well over mile.

All this said, The wattage "TX" isn't increased, same as standard. although I head that it's possible to do so, but with the small & constricted space & no venting in the Controller, may cause a heat problem.
Since the TX power isn't changed, Many of the other's who did the upgrade have concluded that all have seen a increase in distance, Video Feed & contributing this increase to a better REC receiver circuitry & in turn helps with noted increases performance

I Never read of anyone removing these cards do to problems.
Instaling them is a 7.5 on the difficulty scale, in my opinion.

Hope this helps

Reactions: speatuk
Thanks guys
Yeah I am a tinkerer at heart, but close to closing out my aerial rigs.
I have two solos and soon my big rig if I can figure out the gimbal for the GX85.
its time to get back to my ground game on video which was what bought me to flying cameras. So just a couple more tweaks and I'm done. Of course the green cube will keep me linked in for a bit. The onboard computer stuff that is happening with PH2 is amazing and a rabbit hole I don't want to go to deep down. I just want to get smart shots working on my big rig.

Reactions: Jubalr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo