WiFi upgrade beware

I had some weird behavior after Wi-Fi cards upgrade. The first flight seemed normal except to be honest I expected better range took it to 2000 feet out at 375' high, the signal was down to one bar and rssi at around 70. It didn't disconnect but the image started to pixelate.

Sounds like your problems had nothing to do with the wifi card upgrade, or the wifi connection at all. I'd say it's pretty conclusive, you were flying in an inappropriate area surrounded by tall trees and skyscrapers and most likely near the edge of a 3000 foot cliff that blocked most of the sky. I know you said you were 300 feet up with no obstructions, but I'm telling you that you were surrounded by obstructions. I actually suspect you were flying indoors... no, you were in a cave. No wonder you lost GPS. Pretty much case closed... and don't bother to question my conclusion, because I'll deny every word of it while sticking to my story word for word!

:p:D

But back to reality... it would be interesting to test the GPS in U-Center with the stock and aftermarket wifi cards. See if there's a decrease in sat reception strength with the replacement card. Maybe it's putting out more interference. Just a thought, but usually when a change is made and other things start acting up, it often has something to do with the change that was made...

I know that when GPS is lost during RTH it supposed to land.
What does solo supposed to do if it loses GPS and then loses Wi-Fi connection?
Is there a delay after it loses GPS and before you can fly it manual?

If it looses GPS, it should switch to manual immediately. But loosing GPS isn't always, or even often, an on/off kinda thing. The quality of the fix starts to degrade, which can effect the flight, and when it reaches whatever threshold determines an acceptable lock, it could bounce around, dropping and regaining a (minimally acceptable) lock. So, as with most auto-type modes, the pilot should be ready to manually switch to manual and take control, as opposed to waiting for the computer to do it.

If you purchased the drone on a credit card your in luck. Your card has purchase protection. I crashed my solo, cracked the airframe but it still flies. Got visa to cut me a check for the entire unit. Now it's a spare/parts drone.

I can imagine what's happened. Because I had a similar experience. When you upgrade your wifi card, the small board in front of wifi card is not clearly installed and connected with main board. And that board is easily disconnected from main board after landing. That would be the reason according to my experience. After I reinstalled, this problem was solved.

Last edited:
I flew probably 15-20 times from my front yard before I had a loss of gps as well as a loss of signal from the controller from about 40 feet away. My Solo drifted away over my house and I thought I had lost it. It auto landed on low battery on the lawn of the church behind my house. I was lucky. I sent in the logs to 3DR, and found out a lot about my neighborhood. I have a underground electrical transformer in the street right in front of my house, as well as a whole lot of wifi signals. I have not flown from my front yard since. Neighborhood conditions change daily, and the conditions you successfully fly in today, may not be the same tomorrow. That is the reason wide open areas are the places that are recommended to fly in. Especially while learning.

Had the same situation. I have a long driveway and I used to like to fly up and down it for practice. I noticed every time I passed the transformer for the houses on my street the Solo would veer off sharply toward the transformer and would crash. Now I'm aware of it and ready and I can compensate.

I recently did the WiFi upgrade and after about a half dozen flights with it, successfully, I experienced my first every Solo crash yesterday. Actually, two of them, one right after the other. The first crash took a few blades with it. The second crash took with it 4 blades, my gimbal, and now I need a new lense for my Hero 4 Black.

I took off from my front yard with about 30' of space in all directions. Lost connection and never could regain it. The Solo landed, on the edge of my roof, and came tumbling down. Replaced props, reset, take off again. This time it lost connection immediately and went crashing into my house.

I'm pretty certain 3DR is not going to honor any warranty since I swapped the wifi cards, so I'm out a decent amount of money and I can't fly for a week.

Wanted to share the experience. I've had many, many dozens of successful flights before the upgrade and never had I lost connection inside of 500', nor had I ever not been able to regain connection.

I can't say if the correlation is causation, but wanted to offer a bit of warning nonetheless.
wifi messes up the GPS signal. Don't use it.
Bill Chrisman

Solo uses 2 computers and lots of radio waves. Any interference causes it to become uncontrolable. Remember this drone was made to fly itself, so if anything messes up - CRASH TIME. Its very heavy so crashes do a lot of damage.
Bill Chrtisman

Solo uses 2 computers and lots of radio waves. Any interference causes it to become uncontrolable. Remember this drone was made to fly itself, so if anything messes up - CRASH TIME. Its very heavy so crashes do a lot of damage.
Bill Chrtisman
"wifi messes up the GPS signal. Don't use it. Bill Chrisman"
"Solo uses 2 computers and lots of radio waves. Any interference causes it to become uncontrolable. Remember this drone was made to fly itself, so if anything messes up - CRASH TIME. Its very heavy so crashes do a lot of damage.Bill Chrtisman
"

Thanks Bill, I needed a little humor this morning.:D

I agree. The solo would work much better if you turned off the WiFi on your phone and removed the WiFi cards from the both the Solo and the controller. I guarantee it will never crash if you do that.
Paddle: I'm not too well versed on these wifi, radio waves and so on, but maybe u can help me understand. To connect to your phone or pad, or use follow me mode and other features, don't u have to use wifi? I do this all the time and have no problems. If you remove the wifi cards do these features stop working.?

That was sarcasm. Because a few hours ago, you said WiFi interferes with GPS and should not be used.

Reactions: speatuk
O -- OK. I don't know where I got that , but I think the instructions on one of my drones said that u should turn off the wifi on the GOPro because it would interfear with the flight. Guess i'm just a dumb newbee.
Bill

The wifi on the GoPro indeed needs to be off. Because it will interfere with the Solo's wifi. Not the GPS.

If anything to take away from his issues, if you remove cards antenna connections ect. You can do a distance check for radio.Test before putting your solo in the air. With our RC boats we do them with trans antenna down "before spectrum type systems were water friendly"
Guys I know that fly planes always do long distance checks before flying new setups or after crash repairs.

"Even with the further detail provided, I see nothing that has anything to do with the wifi card"

You sure love mincing words.

This is just so bizarre. No, you didn't. I just re-read all your posts, and it was only in response to my posts that you then referred to the upgrade specifically.

No, he didn't. Simply a fact. He said he lost connection and never regained it. Without a wifi connection, there would have been no way for Solo to even report that it had lost GPS.

So let's recap - he states that he lost and never regained wifi connection. With the loss of wifi went any communications from Solo, including the status of the GPS fix. He states that Solo initiated Return to Home, so at the time of wifi connection loss, Solo considered it's GPS fix to be of sufficient quality to initiate RTH. The miss of the RTH spot indicates that the GPS fix may have degraded at some point, which if it was the case, would be a separate issue to the wifi connection loss outside of your aforementioned unlikely software glitch.

The irony here is the degree to which, for some unknown reason, you avoid suspecting the wifi card and/or upgrade, at the same time you take the sole description of his year as being clear in at least a 30 foot radius in all directions to specifically conclude that it's surrounded by trees and structures.

I just think some consistency is in order. If the loss of a wifi signal at close range isn't enough to at least begin with a focus on a recent wifi card upgrade, then "my yard is clear for at least 30 feet in all directions" is simply not enough to conclusively state that it's surrounded by trees and structures. It may very well be, but to be consistent with your aversion to suspecting the wifi card upgrade, you just can't make that statement.

Sorry to be a stickler for logic and consistency, but I've always found it to be the best approach for problem solving.

I'm new to "SOLO" but have played with DIY drones for some two years now have had the great help from all the people at ARDUPILOT AMD website that look forward to helping "NEWBEE'S" to learn and help when they can. I just can't believe that this site is hurtful and demeaning to the newcomers. Is it the fact that some paid over $1400 for the same hardware others paid $400. THIS should not matter one bet, lets try to help all that we can with are experience and patience. Dave

Reactions: HABUpilot
If you find my response to be HURTFUL, you are frankly not prepared to be on the internet. Sorry but that is just laughable at this point. And your presumption about people being angry about the price is non sense. You made that up.

Reactions: Jose969

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea