Wifi Connection Issues

Reaction score
Website
www.jlphotocreative.com
I'm not sure why this occurred last night - but I planned to visit a spot not too far from home - but still a good 25 minutes (even on a Ducati with the backpack!), but it is in a river valley with quite a few rocks.

I had my spot for take off and landing on a flat sandy section in the river bed (rivers dry up in summer here). There was a small flow of water under a long footbridge in a swathe of late afternoon sunlight which was going fast. Whilst setting up, I noticed some GoPro connection/live feed issues, so I restarted Solo and the GoPro and got it all up and running. I took off and tested the angles etc but lost the live feed again - so I landed.

I then lost connection to Solo entirely and had to restart everything. I got it back up and took off again.

In the meantime a girl had walked across the rocks and sat right next to my planned shoot! I asked her if she was OK with me filming and that I was not filming her, she was very polite and said she would move for which I was grateful.

By now the sun was behind a nearby hill and I had lost my shot. I landed again and sure enough lost wifi connection to Solo again. I [stupidly] decided to reset my wifi connection so I selected "forget this network" in order to reconnect... but you know what's coming right? Yup, I forgot the standard wifi password!! I had no literature with me and no phone signal in this valley so that was my night! I only got through 70% of 1 of 4 batteries!

Questions:
  1. Is it common to lose connection to the solo?
  2. Is it possible that the rocks (probably high Iron content) contributed?
  3. Separately - I lost the live feed to the GoPro Hero 4 Black 2 or 3 times
It is likely I would have stopped anyway given the loss of light and the mounting issues. Flying over water with a 6 day old Solo was making me nervous!

I have attached some still of the footage I did grab (these were iPhone screen shots from video transferred from an iPhone 6s + using the GoPro App). Not sure why the quality os so poor - I have done this before and they were super sharp.IMG_1827.jpg IMG_1828.jpg

First, the only way you're going to get good video is directly from the GoPro. Solo records to your iPhone via wifi at 720P so it's never very good on the phone/tablet.

That terrain looks like a good place to lose GPS but you didn't mention that. The stock antennas on the controller don't perform well in terrain like you were in.

You should be very competent at flying Solo in manual mode before attempting a shoot in difficult terrain. If you lose GPS there, you may need to take manual control immediately to prevent a crash.

You should invest in a good aftermarket antenna. I use one from FPVLR.com but I have heard good things from one at DBSMODS.com. Use the site search function or Google for more info.

Welcome to the forum- hope this helps!

First, the only way you're going to get good video is directly from the GoPro. Solo records to your iPhone via wifi at 720P so it's never very good on the phone/tablet.

That terrain looks like a good place to lose GPS but you didn't mention that. The stock antennas on the controller don't perform well in terrain like you were in.

You should be very competent at flying Solo in manual mode before attempting a shoot in difficult terrain. If you lose GPS there, you may need to take manual control immediately to prevent a crash.

You should invest in a good aftermarket antenna. I use one from FPVLR.com but I have heard good things from one at DBSMODS.com. Use the site search function or Google for more info.

Thanks Maddog. Just to clarify - the stills are from video off of the GoPro using the GoPro App and wifi once I was home. I don't record to camera roll because - as you say, quality is poor and it only just takes up space on my iPhone 6s Plus. I have shot video before on the gopro and downloaded to my phone and taken a screenshot and the clarity is great... Like I say, I'm curious why this time it isn't. That's a side issue anyway... it was for illustration purposes only!!

Thanks Maddog. Just to clarify - the stills are from video off of the GoPro using the GoPro App and wifi once I was home. I don't record to camera roll because - as you say, quality is poor and it only just takes up space on my iPhone 6s Plus. I have shot video before on the gopro and downloaded to my phone and taken a screenshot and the clarity is great... Like I say, I'm curious why this time it isn't. That's a side issue anyway... it was for illustration purposes only!!

Sorry... just curious though - why would I lose GPS when there is a clear view of the sky?... GPS wasn't the issue it was wifi to Solo...

Ok, I was confused about the photo issue.

GPS reception with Solo sometimes is a curious thing. GPS signals bouncing off nearby objects MIGHT confuse Solo.

Some people report not being able to get GPS lock when out in the open (like in Wyoming with nothing around for miles).

I only mention it so you are prepared in case you suddenly lose the signal.

Many folks set their "A" or "B" preset to control "FLY:MANUAL" in case Solo has a spaz attack. That way you can quickly switch and take over if necessary.:cool:

GPS reception with Solo sometimes is a curious thing. GPS signals bouncing off nearby objects MIGHT confuse Solo.

Some people report not being able to get GPS lock when out in the open (like in Wyoming with nothing around for miles).

I only mention it so you are prepared in case you suddenly lose the signal.

Many folks set their "A" or "B" preset to control "FLY:MANUAL" in case Solo has a spaz attack. That way you can quickly switch and take over if necessary.:cool:
I shall prepare for Spaz... ;)

Reactions: Maddog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig