WiFi Card upgrade testing

Did anyone ever follow up with the RF analysis on these cards, or figure out how to get it to 28/29 Dbm? I just ordered the cards and am ready to install them. Is there anything that anyone has learned post the video installation instructions that might be helpful? Will hot glue work to lock down the connections or do I need some more specific electronics silicon? Sorry for all the dumb questions, I only want to do it right...the first time :)
For the connections, I used a Zip tie.
Been over a year & no problems.

Is it true that you don't need to upgrade both wifi cards - all you need to do is upgrade the wifi card on the transmitter

I Don't know, I upgraded both in the same day, Only tested my work.
Bought another Solo a little while ago. May compare it with this other.
Been well over a year ago i did the swap. Never a problem.
Max with dual Alphas Max Distance in City About 2500 FT.
Over bay 5800 + FT

I tested the controller vs the controller and Solo yesterday and today in combination with the $19 Alfa antennas on Amazon. They both worked well, and if I had to do it all over again, most likely would only do the controller due to the PITA it was to perform the work on the Solo(I'm a bit ham fisted, and the workspace is a bit tight). Doing both gave me about 30% more than doing the controller alone. I maxed out today at 6300 feet in a pretty WiFi congested suburban area. I wound up using hot glue to affix the antenna connectors. I found this to be much easier to deal with and mistakes were easy to clean up. So far so good.

If anyone wants a laugh, I hunted to the 4 screws for the battery bay for about 2 hours until I realized that I had installed them into the mainboard. That was a bit frustrating, but laughable.

If anyone wants a laugh, I hunted to the 4 screws for the battery bay for about 2 hours until I realized that I had installed them into the mainboard. That was a bit frustrating, but laughable.

Haha... I did the same first time... shame they didnt manage simple screw markers on the pcb silk screen :-(

Also re your test, you'll find in congested areas the upgrade in the solo itself will have little value. When the solo is at altitude, it's getting blasted with all the wifi in your local area, so the noise floor is significantly higher... sadly I wish they reported the SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) instead of just RSSI... far more valuable information IMO

I tested the controller vs the controller and Solo yesterday and today in combination with the $19 Alfa antennas on Amazon. They both worked well, and if I had to do it all over again, most likely would only do the controller due to the PITA it was to perform the work on the Solo(I'm a bit ham fisted, and the workspace is a bit tight). Doing both gave me about 30% more than doing the controller alone. I maxed out today at 6300 feet in a pretty WiFi congested suburban area. I wound up using hot glue to affix the antenna connectors. I found this to be much easier to deal with and mistakes were easy to clean up. So far so good.

in the city, I'm at -69 dBm interferences from takeoff & my RSSI about 40dB connection from Controller to Solo. So that only leaves about -27dBm to play with.

you said,"at 6300 feet in a pretty WiFi congested"

Can't see you getting a 1 miles more then anybody else with just cards installed? What is your dBm interferences at takeoff? cause anything lower then your RSSI minimum =RTH

I have a question. I don't have a glue gun, but I have 5 minute epoxy resin.

Will this work Just as good on the antenna?
I assume glue from a glue gun can tolerate moren heat, but maybe Solos internal components don't get that hot.

Anyone with experience?

I would suggest an electronics grade silicone like dow corning 738 or 737. Epoxy sounds too permanent. You may have to repair a wire later and regret how permanent epoxy is.

Also silicone allows some flexibility if the part is stressed, where as the rigidity of an epoxy could concentrate the stress making damage to the conductors likely.

Last edited:
Reactions: dml931 and SARDG
Well, the epoxy would work, as long as you leave it alone till it hardens, but you'll never get them back off, at least in usable condition. Hot glue or silicone is more forgiving.

Ok. Get it. Thanks! Will probably borrow glue gun from a neighbor.

Are there different glue rods, so I have use a specific type, or will any glue Rod for gun work?

I have not read or heard of any issues with hot glue on rugged, passive components. People have done this safely, but these are conductive high frequency parts, which could be sensitive to changes in capacitance, and application of hot glue could affect this.

The only other risk with hot glue is that plastic parts can deform when exposed to the heat of hot glue. Components which should radiate heat like transistors can fail if covered in hot glue which acts like an insulator.

There are different temperature hot glues, but they are all plastic resin and in this instance I would think any will do.

Other notes, I have read that hot glue can fail over time especially in high vibration environments. Some silicones that are not neutral cure can release acids during cure which can cause corrosion.

Last edited:
I Don't know, I upgraded both in the same day, Only tested my work.
Bought another Solo a little while ago. May compare it with this other.
Been well over a year ago i did the swap. Never a problem.
Max with dual Alphas Max Distance in City About 2500 FT.
Over bay 5800 + FT
Did you ever edit the FW to increase the TX strength mentioned a year ago in this thread (1 page back)?

Quick update on the install. Original range near my house was 400-700 feet. Alfa antennas 1200-1800 depending on direction. With wifi card in controller 2400-2800.

Taking it to the desert this weekend where stock range was 3000 ft
So for clarification...
1. You have Alpha(s) in the controller
2. "Only" your controller has the new Wi-Fi card (not the Solo)?

The video tutorial seems so so, as some people have experience issues and having to hot glue the new card inside the Solo does not sit well with me.
However, can you for sure confirm that "one" Wi-Fi card with [controller and Alpha(s)] would be enough to accomplish 2400-2800ft range in a congested Wi-Fi area?

Thanks!

However, can you for sure confirm that "one" Wi-Fi card with [controller and Alpha(s)] would be enough to accomplish 2400-2800ft range in a congested Wi-Fi area?

You are asking a question that cannot be answered. The RF conditions, obstructions, weather, and other factors are different everywhere, every time. So nobody on this forum can tell you that it will accomplish what you're asking. Furthermore, just putting the card in the controller is gaining you nothing. You're making what we call a crocodile radio... big mouth, no ears. The antennas are really the only useful thing in that case. Don't bother with the WiFi card mod if you're not going to do the whole thing.

In my personal experience in a WiFi congested area, the Alfa antennas got me that range with no other obstructions and the drone up around 200+ feet. That doesn't mean it will work for you because the conditions will not be the same.

Reactions: dml931
You are asking a question that cannot be answered. The RF conditions, obstructions, weather, and other factors are different everywhere, every time. So nobody on this forum can tell you that it will accomplish what you're asking. Furthermore, just putting the card in the controller is gaining you nothing. You're making what we call a crocodile radio... big mouth, no ears. The antennas are really the only useful thing in that case. Don't bother with the WiFi card mod if you're not going to do the whole thing.

In my personal experience in a WiFi congested area, the Alfa antennas got me that range with no other obstructions and the drone up around 200+ feet. That doesn't mean it will work for you because the conditions will not be the same.
Good call, lots to consider. I only have the stock antennas, but looking for an upgade. I do live in a congested area so I would hate to loose control of the bird due to RF conditions (even if it returns home). Unfortunately I have high trees where I am at so I can't really venture too far without loosing visual of the UAS. I think for what you are saying the Alpa antennas might just be the best option -(an extra layer of safety) and always considering the different conditions you mentioned - as opposed to just the stock antennas.
Thanks!

No antennas or WiFi cards will help with obstructions (like trees). But yes, just start with the antennas and see what you get. No need to throw expensive parts and modifications at it without any testing first. On that note, it appears Amazon is out of the Alfa antennas. I found this other place to buy them though. No experience, just googled to it.
Antenna 2.4GHz 7dBi Directional Panel w/ RP-SMA. Signal Booster

No antennas or WiFi cards will help with obstructions (like trees). But yes, just start with the antennas and see what you get. No need to throw expensive parts and modifications at it without any testing first. On that note, it appears Amazon is out of the Alfa antennas. I found this other place to buy them though. No experience, just googled to it.
Antenna 2.4GHz 7dBi Directional Panel w/ RP-SMA. Signal Booster
Great thanks for the link and the advise!

I have a question. I don't have a glue gun, but I have 5 minute epoxy resin.

Will this work Just as good on the antenna?
I assume glue from a glue gun can tolerate moren heat, but maybe Solos internal components don't get that hot.

Anyone with experience?
Buy a cheap glue gun from Walmart.

I have not read or heard of any issues with hot glue on rugged, passive components. People have done this safely, but these are conductive high frequency parts, which could be sensitive to changes in capacitance, and application of hot glue could affect this.

The only other risk with hot glue is that plastic parts can deform when exposed to the heat of hot glue. Components which should radiate heat like transistors can fail if covered in hot glue which acts like an insulator.

There are different temperature hot glues, but they are all plastic resin and in this instance I would think any will do.

Other notes, I have read that hot glue can fail over time especially in high vibration environments. Some silicones that are not neutral cure can release acids during cure which can cause corrosion.
There is hot glue and not so hot glue slightly better guns have switch. You can melt the cooler the hotter gun just takes longer to set. Not so hot glue for faster crafts fewer burn't fingers & less spider webs also.True hot glue is stronger and more time to fix a large part.

Reactions: Sbpowerhouse

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea