Wifi and GPS/GLONASS mods on a new Solo worth it?

Reaction score
I just purchased a new 3DR Solo this month. I am interested in the Wifi (R11e-2HnD) and GPS/GLONASS mods. Most of the posts were from 2015 and I was wondering if 3DR corrected any of the issues since 2015 or if they are still valid mods worth doing. Also do periodic solo updates still work with both the GPS and Wifi cards installed?

IMO, the WiFi card mod is not worth it on a new solo. You can get $20 Alfa antennas to accomplish mostly the same thing without voiding your warranty. The new GPS shielding you can buy from 3DR seems to be addressing all the GPS issues some people had, costs $15 right now, and also doesn't void your warranty.

IMO, the WiFi card mod is not worth it on a new solo. You can get $20 Alfa antennas to accomplish mostly the same thing without voiding your warranty. The new GPS shielding you can buy from 3DR seems to be addressing all the GPS issues some people had, costs $15 right now, and also doesn't void your warranty.

As P2P said, those two don't really seem like worthwhile mods (at least while under warranty). I use the FPVLR antenna and love the range. Even without the new 3DR shield, just the IMP Concepts shield, I'm getting great GPS lock, usually in under a minute. Spend what you would on those mods on other accessories like filters or even a rectilinear lens for your GoPro.

With that said, as soon as the warranty expires on my first Solo, on goes the Drotek M8N :D

Reactions: SurfnSkate81

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea