why 4k?

Reaction score
I am totally for getting the best video possible but why shoot in 4k or 2.7k if your tv is only 1080p am I missing something? Do most people have 4k tv already not me!

Reactions: Juan Rivera
Two reasons, 4k tv's are pretty affordable these days.

Secondly if you shoot in 2.7k, you can drop and resize to 1080p for better visual.

not to mention you can drop 4K into a 1080 timeline and then pan zoom or crop for framing and not lose resolution
or scale it down for great resolution
the new camera I bought does this in camera though I still do it in post
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nice, I did not know gx850 can do that in-camera panning with such smoothness . I have the older LX100.

Yes agree, I usually do in post. However I just realized that the slow-ness of the in-camera panning looks good.
When I experiment pan in post it was a bit faster and its not so good, not fluid. I guess it was too fast. :)

I am totally for getting the best video possible but why shoot in 4k or 2.7k if your tv is only 1080p am I missing something? Do most people have 4k tv already not me!
If you aren't editing for a UHD (4k) output, with in an editing program you can output to HD (1080) and use stabilisation tools with practically no loss in quality, zoom in to x4 without loss in quality, add horizontal or vertical pans from an otherwise static shot, and the resized UHD to HD quality is usually better than if shot in HD on camera. Many many reasons. And even if you don't edit anything today, when you eventually do edit in the future you will wish you'd selected the 4k option if you didn't.

Yes agree, I usually do in post. However I just realized that the slow-ness of the in-camera panning looks good.
When I experiment pan in post it was a bit faster and its not so good, not fluid. I guess it was too fast. :)
correct slow it down move your key frames further apart, also add smoothing to the move ease in and out if endpoints

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I shoot in 2.7 and 4k because the gopro looks unreal on a 4k tv. Here is an example on my recent trip to Kauai.

Hi Mike,
Nice video and such a beautiful island...awesome.

Out of topic...
On other post we are discussing micro vibrations, may I request permission to use part of your video to show the micro vibrations ?
Gimbal data cable - Admitted wrong theory
I will take a few seconds clips here and there and re-edit and place visual marker to show the micro vibrations.

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea