Which GoPro to buy?

Reaction score
Hi, new solo owner here (though not new to flying drones). Haven't even put it in the air yet. I was wondering if there are opinions on if the Hero4 silver or Hero4 black are best to use with the solo? I have to get one, and I know it won't work with the Hero5, so what are the thoughts on which Hero is best for the solo? Thanks!

Reactions: WxPIC
+1 to hero Black. going rate about $250 on ebay in excellent condition. Hero 4 gives you 4K @30fpsm and 1440p @60 which looks awesoime!

The thing is the black is falling in price so much you will regret not getting it
2.7k 60 is an awesome mode for aerial

I see you can get a black referb. direct from gopro for $290 with a 1 year warranty. Could be worse.

Since I have a few of you guys here........where do you get parts? Extra chargers, legs, motors? Thanks!

You can just unscrew the lens that comes with the gopro and put one of those in its place? What is the benefit of the new lens?

You can just unscrew the lens that comes with the gopro and put one of those in its place? What is the benefit of the new lens?
Yes... I don't recommend it though.

It's easier to have Peau do it for you. You can buy a complete camera or send yours in for a lens replacement. They focus the lens for you and remove the stock lens color profile. If you do it yourself, you can swap the lens and probably get it focused eventually, but only Peau Productions has figured out how to remove the profile, so you'd get some pink vignetting.

The benefit is that it's a rectilinear lens. So that means no fisheye effect. The one I recommended is fairly wide angle, but it's still a bit narrower than the stock GoPro lens. That's the equivalent of zooming in a little bit, which is nice because you can fly further away from your subject matter and it still looks like your closer in compared to the stock lens.

I like the 82 model (the 3.97mm lens rated up to 16mega pixels). There are other lenses that "zoom" in further (like the 4.35mm Peau72 and others), but those lenses are either a little soft in terms of focus, or they are too zoomed in, which make vibrations much more noticeable.

I find the 3.97mm Peau82 to be both sharp and just the right field of view.

Brand new GP4 black at B&H online $329 and you get a $60 GC. So I purchased the SD with that. That's the cheapest price you will find right now.

GoPro also has he new linear mode that removes the fish eye so unless you're taking professional photos not sure the upgrades lens is worth the $.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoPro also has he new linear mode that removes the fish eye so unless you're taking professional photos not sure the upgrades lens is worth the $.
Great point.

You can also remove the fisheye effect on your Mac/PC using a variety of applications from GoPro Studio to Premiere or Final Cut and many more.

Linear mode is only available for 30 FPS at 2.7K, and up to 60 FPS at 1080p. Even if your not a pro, some may find that limiting.

So if you're buying a new GoPro for your Solo (as the original poster is), it might be worth the extra $$$ to get one from Peau with the lens already swapped. Anyway, I guess it's up to each individual to decide if they can afford or want to bother spending the extra money.

If you order from Peau, they will also leave the FW at v3 if you request. That gives you a flat field AND auto power on/off.

Keep in mind before going with the Gopro 4 Black that while 4k looks amazing it's not quite the standard yet.

If you share your videos or make them to share keep in mind most(or some) people wont be watching it in 4k.

I Bought the Gopro 4 black specifically for my Solo but I can't playback on my 1080 laptop(SSD,1080 screen, 8gb ram, Amd e2) far from high end but not bottom barrel either. This forces me to have to edit on my PC.

I still agree with everyone else about the 4 black but wouldn't let that sway me away from a good deal otherwise. I'd trade for some video that could take pictures like a mini dslr with a sensor.

Keep in mind before going with the Gopro 4 Black that while 4k looks amazing it's not quite the standard yet.

If you share your videos or make them to share keep in mind most(or some) people wont be watching it in 4k.

I Bought the Gopro 4 black specifically for my Solo but I can't playback on my 1080 laptop(SSD,1080 screen, 8gb ram, Amd e2) far from high end but not bottom barrel either. This forces me to have to edit on my PC.

I still agree with everyone else about the 4 black but wouldn't let that sway me away from a good deal otherwise. I'd trade for some video that could take pictures like a mini dslr with a sensor.

The 2.7k 60 mode is also a feature of the GP4 Black which is the recommended video setting. It gives you a bit more flexibility in that regard.

True, but I would counter that 4K is still totally worth it. You capture at 4K, but after you edit, deliver at 1080P. The image will be cleaner and sharper than if you capture at 1080P and deliver at 1080P. Personally I see no reason to upload 4K to YouTube or Vimeo or any other website. But if you want the best possible 1080P image from a GoPro black, then capture at 4K/30 or 4K/24,, then downres it in post to 1080P. Just my opinion. One nice thing about down rezing a video image is that it naturally reduces noise in the dark areas.

As for 2.7K at 60fps. Thats a really good option too. You can still downscale that to 1080P for the web and you benefit from the 60fps smoothness. My only thing about 60fps is that I don't like it. I prefer lower frame rates that look more "cinematic". Unfortunately this means I have to be really careful about which ND filter I'm using and making sure I get the shutter and exposure just right. (because lower frame rate is more susceptible to jello/vibrations) But I'm rambling so I'll stop now.

Brand new GP4 black at B&H online $329 and you get a $60 GC. So I purchased the SD with that. That's the cheapest price you will find right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the same deal from B&H but with a $ 50 gift card. You can't go wrong with either GoPro. I have a Silver and a Black. I really like the screen on the Silver when using it stand alone.

Calm down Pedals! I've got this one!

I just installed a 4.35mm 72 degree 10mp lens on my Hero 4 Silver that I bought on ebay for $12 and changed some camera settings and couldn't be more happier with the footage and pics I'm getting. I'll post some when I'm not at work working... lol
Really? Now you're going to do this in threads I'm not even involved in? Reported. Grow up.

What he's going to suggest is your set the camera for 1080p, which cuts the image quality and resolution by several orders of magnitude. By reducing the field of view, it crops out the portion of the image that will have the pink corners when using an aftermarket lens. If you think sacrificing the image quality and cropping down the size of the image to that of an original GoPro hero model 2 is "fixing" it, you can certainly do that. As long as you understand it is making it worse rather than better, you're making an informed (albeit unwise) decision.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela