Where can I Fly

Reaction score
I know this will probably get the "use the search function" comment, but I have and I am still a little unsure about it. So, I am breaking down and just asking the question. My entire city is classified as a controlled airspace class D. Can I fly in this area or do I have to get outside city limits? Also, my backyard has a huge open green space (2 soccer fields, 3 baseball Diamonds, and an elementary school yard). The problem I have is that I am only a couple miles from the airport. I was hoping to practice flying at low altitudes back there 20 to 30 feet max, but I am guessing that is against the law being within 5 miles. I want to make sure that I am following the laws and not giving drones bad rap.

Thanks in advance

https://www.faa.gov/uas/where_to_fly
Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to BOTH the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination.

Reactions: SARDG
The Solo App has a "plan your flight" tool. It won't do the notifications for you, but at least in my area it will give me a list of airports to notify and the number to call. I've never done it, but I would assume you just need to call and inform them where and when and how you'll be flying and there won't be much more to it. Maybe it's more complex than that? Not sure how much prior notice they want or need.

I have only flown outside the airport zones but where I work has great open fields I'd like to use but that would put me in an airport and air guard zone (they use the same tower) so I might have to call and find out how it goes sometime soon.

Thanks for the replies. I might have to call them too. Just to see what they say. When I pull up the Solo app, it is hard to find a zone that doesn't have an airport and I live in Fargo, ND. I can't even imagine how restricted a big city must be.

Ah, the joys of living in a small town I guess. Even at that, even my small town is only a mile or two out of the airport hate zones. Of course, my small town is only a few miles from the nearest big town where I work.

If I had to guess, and I'm not suggesting to do so, I'd say that many people fly in airport zones without making any notice to anyone.

You may find the app is lightin some famer with a dirt runway that happens to be in an FAA database. I do not count those as airports that require a call.

You may find the app is lightin some famer with a dirt runway that happens to be in an FAA database. I do not count those as airports that require a call.

It's amazing they put heliports even in the db. As I stated before, if an airport has a tower, I would consider it one with the five mile radius you would have to notifiy. I have a Class C and a Class D airport near me, both are towered airports. Not all Class D airports are.. I live too close to the Class C to fly without informing, but from what I understand (and it may not work at other airports) you don't need to ask for permission to fly, you just need to tell the tower where you are flying (they will want as exact a location as you can give) and the ceiling you intend to fly at. As long as you're not trying to fly within a TFR.

If you don't fly above the tree tops and follow other FAA guidelines, i believe you can fly your Solo during daytime.

You can argue with the DJI geo developers.

The argument is no plane can flight lower than tree top height, as for helicopter, UAV has to yield the airspace to them.

The USDOT has not appointed DJI geo as the US national authority with powers to regulate all aspects of civil aviation. I would defer to FAA regulations regarding where to fly. P2P is most likely correct.

DJI spent money for legal help. I wonder how much P2P spent on lawyers.

Anyway, since yu insist on FAA, do you have FAA B4UFly app. if not, go get it.
Run it within 5 miles of airport, check the questions it asked.

answer the question as follow:

how high will you fly,
check below tree tops

second question
how far will you fly
check less than 100 yards

third question
how long will you fly here
check less than 1 hour

then see what the app said.

My testing facility locates near a small airport and within 5 miles of two hospital heliports., at day time, the app will give me a yellow "use caution check restrictions" sign, at night time, it will give me an orange "Warning Action required " sign.

DJI spent money for legal help. I wonder how much P2P spent on lawyers.

how high will you fly,
check below tree tops

second question
how far will you fly

third question
check less than 1 hour

My testing facility locates near a small airport and within 5 miles of two hospital heliports., at day time, the app will give me a yellow "use caution check restrictions" sign, at night time, it will give me an orange "Warning Action required " sign.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/AC_107-2_AFS-1_Signed.pdf

I don't need to spend any money on lawyers. NOWHERE in the actual law does it say you can be within 5 miles of an airport, fly below the treetops, and ignore the rest of the law. DJI can say whatever they want. You are wrong. Next.

Reactions: SARDG

how high will you fly,
check below tree tops

second question
how far will you fly

third question
check less than 1 hour

9IA2Q36R4AOsdHNrEQBJ9ZnYA3vBQ6lzkIrjZSvSh_cZY7Uxd1JfSwsVsnG_tMWAUlGnHrdd0eWendRwZJSpNPKUXQHcDAKvwId1qMCzG7Gc792MuXwzxkrLttVtkEzDijmYmOHXTUYNK9a5JwQ9G4AXbrIQfwIwj-4wd7L-vcXfhc2-thdTazA5ocdNHKY6xZlzqO4u5vm_v0KB6th920Gs0BVMW2X-b0rM9exx5O99W30L--w9_E7bk9hAA2vS7CsVZn0hR8nrvCJTItwzLO_q0Jxy5LKqoMcFqFbRbvIp1yoCy_Ps7J3BSeBM7XSKK3d8PP8AxDIGnVPCcGxBuJtQDepVArQiitMdpdNtHBuAVxa5Gq_cv8rlU_OiOPcXFp3ig8PQKLU_PTAA9gC_ODn6gnQxl3AHBfRmeriPxIL-HSftNYhpmTSD1ED4wt0P3dKFhth5NG8L0oi22hW5u9wxMBltT-h5y30TrFTDMHceMIwboVjQzzj-lmGCPy3yZyJQWs5C31PIpty8-nOefJGMQMc3ZBjWbF8dd76d_lV1n2TV1pqlbV21b5MdGNV2zXp9-RmHKFasMAz4wDXrCG4aNpK7tIJ4FI0JnLWe4QtCTzp-xiRHbA=w157-h279-no

Next question.

Chapter 5. Part 107 Subpart B, Operating Limitations for Small Unmanned Aircraft

This is probably not for most of us, as recreational flyers...
5.8 Controlled Airspace - ..."Those planning sUAS operations in controlled airspace are encouraged to contact the FAA as early as possible."

This however is likely to apply to us as recreational flyers...
5.8.1 Small UA Operations Near an Airport—Notification and Permissions. -
"Unless the flight is conducted within controlled airspace, no notification or authorization is necessary to operate at or near an airport. When operating in the vicinity of an airport, the remote PIC must be aware of all traffic patterns and approach corridors to runways and landing areas.
The remote PIC must avoid operating anywhere that the presence of the sUAS may interfere with operations at the airport, such as approach corridors, taxiways, runways, or helipads. Further more, the remote PIC must yield right-of-way to all other aircraft, including aircraft operating on the surface of the airport."

continues...PLEASE READ ADDITIONAL INFORMATION in the above .pdf

The question that seems to be confusing is,
Is it any and ALL (airports, helipads, balloon launch) sights that you can't fly within 5 miles? or actually those within Controlled Airspace?
The above answers that question.

Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights
within five miles of an airport to BOTH the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower.
However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace
around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and"
coordination.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea