Where can i find the flight simulator software

Reaction score
My dad surprised me with the solo for xmas. I see in their site it says there is a flight sim to learn to fly it, but im not finding that app anywhere. Has it been released?

Thx

Not released yet that I'm aware, and at this point, I wouldn't hold my breath.

If you've never flown any multirotor before, just go to a big open field, make sure you have 8-10 satellites minimum, keep it in Fly mode and follow the basic instructions. With a GPS lock, it flies like it's on rails - just very, very stable. If you have flying experience, I'd still recommend the same initially, but you'd be able to start flying more aggressively quickly.

I've used sims over the years, and can't say that any of them fully prepares you for real flying.

Not released yet that I'm aware, and at this point, I wouldn't hold my breath.

If you've never flown any multirotor before, just go to a big open field, make sure you have 8-10 satellites minimum, keep it in Fly mode and follow the basic instructions. With a GPS lock, it flies like it's on rails - just very, very stable. If you have flying experience, I'd still recommend the same initially, but you'd be able to start flying more aggressively quickly.

I've used sims over the years, and can't say that any of them fully prepares you for real flying.
Ah ok. Thank you for the advice. Here goes nothin lol

The flight sim was also supposed to be at Best Buy, but I have never seen a working one at any that I have been to. User Name is right with his advice. Get good gps lock, and in an open area, have fun. If you don't know, you also need to have the latest updates from the Solo app as well as from 3DR services. Also take advantage of the wealth of information on this forum. You won't find nicer people anywhere willing to help you out. Good luck, and safe flying.

I highly recommend (and I know many others on this site do as well) that you set your A or B button to Fly:Manual mode. Ideally, you should wait for satellite lock, then take off in Fly:Manual mode and fly in that mode as much as you can. Why? Because should you lose GPS signal, you will be adept at flying manually. It is an acquired skill and must be practiced regularly.

I actually used the 3DR Solo flight sim at a small shop in Dallas/Love Airport. It will give you the very basics of using the controls and making decision making more fluid.

I highly recommend (and I know many others on this site do as well) that you set your A or B button to Fly:Manual mode. Ideally, you should wait for satellite lock, then take off in Fly:Manual mode and fly in that mode as much as you can. Why? Because should you lose GPS signal, you will be adept at flying manually. It is an acquired skill and must be practiced regularly.
Hmmm. I think since he is new, he should stay to a wide open field and keep it in GPS. If he flys manual and there is even a slight wind he's going to crash the Solo.

Having said that, I agree with you, but not for the first few flights.

Also, if the OP is reading this, always be mentally ready for what you are going to do if you get in trouble. Most crashes are caused by panic and indecision when the drone starts to float toward buildings or trees.

One tip is that, counter to our natural human instincts, UP is often the safest direction to go with a drone. If you are drifting into the house or a tree, don't try to steer away with the sticks, just push up on the left stick and leave the right stick alone. Once it's up high enough to clear any obstacles (and where it gets better GPS), then take a moment to figure out what you are going to do next.

Another tip is to always orient your body in the same direction as the drone, so the right on the sticks is right for the drone. It's easy to get turned around backwards and zig left when you mean to go right.

When you start out, practice flying a box pattern keeping the nose of the Solo pointed forward the whole time. Then try doing a figure 8. Then try to do an orbit keeping the nose pointed into the center (it helps to throw a shirt or something down in the field and keep it in the center of the frame while you circle it.

And since you got this from your dad, your probably a teenager. Please don't f'ck this up for us by doing stupid stuff with your drone. A lot of us have been flying for years with no issues, and then a bunch of jackasses got into flying drones and have kind of screwed it up for us. Some idiot flew one into old faithful in Yellowstone park, and now we can't fly in any National Parks. Be aware that people get pissed off when they think you are videoing them. I find its best to tell people your going to be flying a drone and let them know you won't be videoing them. Once you do that ahead of time, pretty much everybody is cool about it and even want to watch (and ask a lot of questions). Be extra super careful flying near people. Your not supposed to fly over or near people at all.

Agree with Erik, keep in FLY mode until you have at least an hour or two of flights under your belt. You get all of the feel and freedom of controlling the flight, while maintaining the safety line of having GPS not let Solo drift on its own. An inexperienced operator putting Solo in in FLY:Manual mode for the first time will get a wake up call of how much GPS is actually controlling flight stability.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44