What would you like in where2fly's next update?

Reaction score
Hi drone pilots. Today I wanted to get feedback and input from the drone community to see what you guys would like to see in the next update of the where2fly app. The sky the limit! Do you want social features, live video, the ability to communicate with other pilots, an easier way to submit locations? We would love to hear it all. If you are not familiar with the Where2fly app I'll include a link so you can check it out. It's a free download on the App Store and Google play store.
App Store https://appsto.re/us/1x1wcb.i
Google play store where2fly - Android Apps on Google Play

Looking forward to hearing your ideas, founder and CEO AJ Torres.

The moment you don't want my flying locations(s) is the moment I'll try the app.

Reactions: CanadianSolo
The moment you don't want my flying locations(s) is the moment I'll try the app.
Just to clarify there is no need to add a location to the map. That is just one of the features hope that clarify things. let me know if you have any other questions.

For me flying is like fishing and I spend a great deal of time finding that perfect spot. I don't want to go out there the next weekend and find three other people flying in my perfect spot because they dropped my coords into a GPS app. Some of my places have taken me multiple trips to find a decent road to where I want to get pictures or video. I just find it very hard to get enthused about an app that gives all of that away to anyone with an internet connection. All I really require from a flying app is to know if there are any TFRs or other restrictions where I intend to fly. I am not racing 250s and looking for other people to fly with. I am looking for good scenery that isn't cluttered with people and other drones. For the commercial people here, they don't want to be sharing everywhere they do a photo shoot or film a wedding or whatever they are using a drone for. This idea of sharing locations should be aimed at another type of drone user and I do not believe you will find the idea well received here. I can see how it would be desirable to a fpv racer wanting to meet and practice with others but I doubt it is a desirable feature to many people here.

For me flying is like fishing and I spend a great deal of time finding that perfect spot. I don't want to go out there the next weekend and find three other people flying in my perfect spot because they dropped my coords into a GPS app. Some of my places have taken me multiple trips to find a decent road to where I want to get pictures or video. I just find it very hard to get enthused about an app that gives all of that away to anyone with an internet connection. All I really require from a flying app is to know if there are any TFRs or other restrictions where I intend to fly. I am not racing 250s and looking for other people to fly with. I am looking for good scenery that isn't cluttered with people and other drones. For the commercial people here, they don't want to be sharing everywhere they do a photo shoot or film a wedding or whatever they are using a drone for. This idea of sharing locations should be aimed at another type of drone user and I do not believe you will find the idea well received here. I can see how it would be desirable to a fpv racer wanting to meet and practice with others but I doubt it is a desirable feature to many people here.
Thanks for the honest feedback!

Default to NOT share any location and other info. Also prompt the user before sending any location or personal identifying information.

Also, allow people to preview your app with out requiring us to provide any email or login information (no FB, Google login also).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mountain Flyer
Both good suggestions. I have to admit I have never tried the app as it requires me to sign in. That should be optional for those who want to participate in the social aspect of the app. Generally speaking, if an app wants my information and I don't see a valid reason it should be required, I won't use that app.

Reactions: RichWest
Agreed. he can GTFO.
Pardon my ignorance but isn't the idea of the app to find places to fly by gathering data from other users? If you're not willing to share where you fly why would you use it?

Pardon my ignorance but isn't the idea of the app to find places to fly by gathering data from other users? If you're not willing to share where you fly why would you use it?
That is the point and it is also why many here do not want to use it. This social aspect of flying applies more to the smaller recreational drones. It would be useful to a racer looking for others to race against or practice with but that isn't what people buy cinematic drones for. We want nice pictures and video and that is harder to get with the airspace cluttered with other drones. We don't want others using our spots. Perhaps if he was targeting the social aspect at new users as a training aid in finding experienced users to teach it would be better received. His app also requires a sign in and many do not want to register in order to use the app. The OP asked for feedback on what we thought and people told him. Some just more politely than others.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fatbeatle