What tablet or smartphone are you using with Solo? report good and bad

Yes, I'm a little lost as well. Maybe someone can provide a comparison between what features are available when using the following type of device.

• Wifi only tablet (e.g., Wifi only Apple iPad as not gps built in).
  • Wifi tablet with GPS receiver (e.g., Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4).
  • Wifi tablet/phone with GPS/Cellular (e.g., iPhone, Samsung Galaxy 6, iPad w/cellular, etc).

Here are my thoughts.

1) Samsung puts GPS into some of its non 4G/LTE tablets, Apple doesn't.
2) Neither built in GPS enabled tablets nor 4G/LTE will use any of their GPS or 4G once you connect your device to the Solo wifi network.
3) Having GPS and no 4G is good for caching maps in the field ( I can only assume ).
4) Having 4G in the field will allow you send trouble tickets from the field. Once you disconnect from the Solo WiFi network.

I don't think there are any other benefits or drawbacks other than those I just mentioned.

Hi Rich. I am using a Galaxy Tab 4 8", and so far it is working great. It fits in the controller mount just fine, even with a case on it. Hope this helps. Congrats.....you are my first post...:D
I bought a Galaxy Tab 4 7" just to fly and Google Play said the app wasn't compatible :(

Flys OK Nextbook Ares 8 model nxa8qc116r from Walmart ($78).
It's an 8 inch Android 5 tablet.

Works on the ground. Flown OK, no issues but can't use follow me

Update: I may return it to Walmart. It is OK for the price, but it has no internal GPS so you can't use it with follow me mode.

The only internal sensor is an accelerometer. The is no compass, no GPS. This may be OK for some but kind of limiting for use with mapping or with solo.
I have tried two tabs. Both Samsung. One was on the list of compatible devices but couldn't download the Solo app from PlayStore. The other was a Samsung Tab 3v. I could download the app but in follow me mode I kept getting the error that it couldn't connect with the device GPS.
Google maps works fine on the tab. It has GPS but not sure about the compass. What are the device necessities to get to get everything to work? Does anybody know?
I think it has to be Android 4.4. And a GPS. What else?
Thanks for your time.

Here are my thoughts.

1) Samsung puts GPS into some of its non 4G/LTE tablets, Apple doesn't.
2) Neither built in GPS enabled tablets nor 4G/LTE will use any of their GPS or 4G once you connect your device to the Solo wifi network.
3) Having GPS and no 4G is good for caching maps in the field ( I can only assume ).
4) Having 4G in the field will allow you send trouble tickets from the field. Once you disconnect from the Solo WiFi network.

I don't think there are any other benefits or drawbacks other than those I just mentioned.

Well I must say this gets more confusing by the minute. I have bought 2 Samsung Tabs. One wouldn't let me download the Solo app at all. The other downloaded fine and most everything works great EXCEPT Follow Me mode. The Solo app says it can not connect to my GPS in my device when I try to use Follow Me. I was assuming the software meant my mobile device because until I initiate Follow Me the maps all work great in the Solo app.
But you say that it doesn't use the GPS in the mobile device. So if that is the case why do they say the mobile device is what the Solo follows during Follow Me and to not separate the mobile device too far from the RC controller when using Follow Me mode?
Can you explain further please.

Thanks for this. I'm thinking of what hardware is compatible with the solo, vs the app version.

For example, my phone won't work at all, as it will not allow the app to be installed.

Also, what is the largest size of tablet that can work with the mount on the controller?

If people post what is working for them, it may help others.

A listing of app issues would be software specific, which is a slightly different viewpoint.
I just bought an IPad Air yesterday to use with it. No noticeable lag bUT I stayed close as it was dark and had PowerLine to worry about coming across just a few feet away. (Did fly over them). The one issue us the clamp is a hair too small. The bottom wants to bend out causing the iPad to creep out of the holder. I "temporarily" solved that by taking a pen knife and slicing the rubber from the inside of the bottom piece at the "legs" I left the rubber attached at the flat to work as bumpers to keep it from sliding out. Worked great. Will mod a little more later.

For those of you using Apple devices with your Solo, what cable from the controller to the device are you using? or is there one out there. 3DR states the cable will give you full HD video while flying but I've yet to find an HD to Lighting cable out there let alone a Micro HD to Lighting

For those of you using Apple devices with your Solo, what cable from the controller to the device are you using? or is there one out there. 3DR states the cable will give you full HD video while flying but I've yet to find an HD to Lighting cable out there let alone a Micro HD to Lighting
Never heard of that. Only WiFi
I just bought an IPad Air yesterday to use with it. No noticeable lag bUT I stayed close as it was dark and had PowerLine to worry about coming across just a few feet away. (Did fly over them). The one issue us the clamp is a hair too small. The bottom wants to bend out causing the iPad to creep out of the holder. I "temporarily" solved that by taking a pen knife and slicing the rubber from the inside of the bottom piece at the "legs" I left the rubber attached at the flat to work as bumpers to keep it from sliding out. Worked great. Will mod a little more later.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

External monitors. Think old school FPV with a monitor and seperate receiver.

Now using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2.

Seems to work ok. More testing needed to be sure.

One minor problem seen with the S2, in map view, the video window doesn't show a full frame.

3DR support says this is a problem with the app. Someone on the FB page also said they had the same issue, but with a different tablet, so it's not an issue specific to the S2.

iPad mini 3, 64 Gb, wifi+cellular.
No crash issues, but will not display satellite map in 1/3 view. Works fine in full screen map view. Map caching not necessary as long as you can get a cell signal.

Even with a sunshade & brightness up to full, it is difficult to see screen in daylight. Anti-glare on screen helps a lot with glare.

On a recent 105 deg day, it got so hot it shut off.
My fix for that: cut a piece of 1/8" plexiglass about 1/2" smaller than iPad. Cut a piece of old bath towel to match plexiglass.
Prior to flying, soak towel with cold water. Wring out so no dripping water.

Place towel between iPad & plexi then place into controller clamp as a "sandwich". So far it's working fine. Not high tech, but best I can do at the moment.

Tab s 8.4 WiFi and cell for att, love the tablet. Super screen and very light

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc